• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Why do they run for cubes?

Help Support CattleToday:

yrcrlsn

Reaction score
We saw Steve the ranch manager give some cubes to stock running right at him. Then one time, when we had a similar white bag, full of bluebonnet seeds, those eager bovines came right at us.
Once I saw a herd of steers running up a hill near the Atoyac Arena, as if they were after cubes. So what’s in ‘em, pheromones, aromatic esters, cinnamon spice, Sbucks coupons? We just are amazed at their desire for this stuff.

wbvs58

Reaction score
They just like food especially if it is a bit different to what they are eating. I don't dare go near them with a white bucket in my hand.
Welcome to the forum, tell us a bit about your cattle outfit and importantly go and put where you are from against your name. It is one of those buttons up the top, I'm sure you will find it if you explore a bit.

Ken

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Welcome to CT. One of the greatest cattle handling tools ever invented is the five gallon bucket. As you have witnessed once you get cattle trained to come to cubes or grain. They'll fallow you anywhere.

Dave

Reaction score
I knew a guy (idiot) who worked for another conservation district in the state. He was out in a pasture taking soil samples using a white bucket to collect the soil. A "bull" chased him over a steep bank to the rivers edge. Some fishermen pulled their boat over and saved him. Turned out the "bull" was a 4H show steer.

Dsth

Reaction score
A bucket, cows and city cousins is some of the best entertainment i have had in my life. Right up there with helping me start the tractor by holding spark plug lead!
my fondest memory from years ago was when my brother-in-law (city boy) asked what the eclectic probe was for as he was holding and wondering how it worked. It was one of those 24" probes with 4 d cell batteries. I was explaining it to him when he found the button while he was also holding the probe end in his other hand. I don't think I have ever seen someone jump like that since.

WFfarm

Reaction score
Excavator operator was working in the cow pasture cleaning some ditches. Had to go to his truck to get a 5 gal pal of hydraulic oil to top off the machine. By the time he got back over to his machine he was surrounded by cows two-three deep.

Latest posts