Why do people feel so free on private property

Help Support CattleToday:

Last night after I posted, I remembered a few more instances. A few years ago, a four wheeler was stolen from a neighboring farm. They took it through our fields, cutting the fences in four places, to get it loaded out from the second entrance to our farm, where they had apparently parked. I had different groups of cattle that all got mixed up together, and some on the road.
Have also had people climb gates and fences to fish, they have even parked in front of gates.

Then you get the ones that think its ok to buzz thru a property late at night, right past the house on atvs and dirtbikes, but best to do it wide open so you're not there as long...

But if I show up with a tractor and start driving around their yard in the middle of the night they have an issue with it...

Had a neighbor once (thank the good Lord he sold his property) that not only thought it was OK to put his deer stand right on the fence line, but directly facing into my property. I confronted him about it once and he actually told me he didn't see anything wrong with it since he was in his stand on his property (the only thing he "could" look at was directly on my property). The second week into deer season came along and I happen to have a cow die... can you guess where I dragged it and let it sit? :cboy:

Funny how I didn't see him in that stand for the rest of the season! I typically wouldn't do something like that, but I guess sometimes you have to do something drastic to get through to some people.

TN Cattle Man":1pl9r5jh said:
Had a neighbor once (thank the good Lord he sold his property) that not only thought it was OK to put his deer stand right on the fence line, but directly facing into my property. I confronted him about it once and he actually told me he didn't see anything wrong with it since he was in his stand on his property (the only thing he "could" look at was directly on my property). The second week into deer season came along and I happen to have a cow die... can you guess where I dragged it and let it sit? :cboy:

Funny how I didn't see him in that stand for the rest of the season! I typically wouldn't do something like that, but I guess sometimes you have to do something drastic to get through to some people.
Best one I ever saw was at my neighbors his place borders the deer lease as well. They actually built the stand in the corner of his pasture on his side. He took his dozer and made a nice pile and burned it. Some deer hunter got a surprise.

Where do people get this type of mentality? It's certainly different than mine. There is no way I would go on someone else's property and start opening gates, riding four wheelers, and just making myself at home. I realize I might be looking down a gun barrel, but it's first and foremost out of respect for the owner. I certainly wouldn't ask to hunt or fish and then bring in another crew either.

As I said before, it's often people that one would otherwise consider normal and not really meaning any harm. When I found my gate broken the other day, there was nothing stolen, bothered, nor was the land torn up with ruts; apparently, someone just decided it was ok to prowl on someone else's land, and when they broke my gate, they apparently thought nothing of it. That is the puzzling part. He probably went back to his job at the feed store or post office and felt perfectly normal.

We have the same problems here, people that own adjoining lines hunt where they please. Started putting up some game cameras, guy complained to me once about cameras up and asked why, I asked him how he knew I had them up as none could be seen from his property. Just aggravates me that people run all over you if you let them. Most people around here probably think I am a jerk but I don't really care.

I came upon a guy with a rife standing on a bridge on one my lease properties. I stopped and ask him what he was doing. He told me he had seen an 8 foot gator. I told him that it was my gator was on private property. He just looked at me and turned back around to the creek. I drove down the road a bit got out of my truck and wrote down his license number and called game warden. He showed up in 30 minutes or so during which me and the hunter just stared at each other. Hand cuffs were used and all ended well.

herofan":1uslw122 said:
I also don't understand why people put hunting stands near line fences. I'd rather have mine in the middle of my property so I don't annoy the neighbor.

I would rather someone put there stand on the fence row than put it a 100 yards off and shoot towards my property. If they own the land when they cross the fence they should be able to put stands any place they like, as long as they are not shooting on, toward or across your land. This is not the first time this has came up on this site and both times I never could understand how someone thinks they have the right to tell someone where they can or can not hang a stand as long as they are not shooting across the fence on to your property. :2cents: :2cents:

I have had lumber (big trees) jacked; dead cars pulled in the woods and left; more hunters trespassing than I can count; snowmobilers and ATVs buzzing past my house at midnight (they came down our farm road which is over a mile long); an illegal bow hunter who almost shot my friend who was visiting; neighbors' pit bulls who think our place is theirs; and a guy who somehow bushwhacked in a half mile all one summer, then dynamited up a hillside and 'harvested' crystals. That's just off the top of my head. Oh, and a guy who planted mary jane in the corn. (Didn't even offer a cut!)
And I agree that if you give someone the ok to hunt one year, they think it's a permanent pass and is transferable to their chums! Unreal....

That weekender fella once accused me of trespassing on his place.. He knows i ride occasionally and there were horse tracks on his place, so he put 2 and 2 together and AH HA, he caught me...so he thought.. I totally respect everyones property lines and i will not cross them unless i have permission.
Weekender had no fences and my daughters horses got out and i suppose got on his place. Why the hell he thought i was sneaking over to ride my horse on his little 19 acre weekend place just boggles my mind. He even went so far to mention he has game cameras, like, maybe that would make me confess...lol.... I think to this day he still believes i rode my horse onto his swamp. Every time i'm unfortunate to be stopped by him, he mentions he has game cameras all over and does get pictures of trespassers..ugh And this is the idiot who put a deer stand on our property. And not on a fence, but into quite a ways onto our property. Guess he didnt know where his line was. Husband ran over it with a bulldozer..smashed it into splinters. Said it was pretty nice too..lol

I let my BIL's BIL dove hunt. He brought his wife daughter and son. You knew exactly where their chairs were set up. Drink bottles all over the ground. Walk over to pick them up and find two boxes of spent shotgun shell hulls. All three of them. Every time they went out. The next season I said "No." They didn't understand and I didn't care.

Add public restroom to the list. Just got back from checking cattle; as I was driving over the ridge in the central pasture I saw a compact car parked in our driveway - and I use that term loosely, it's 3/4 mile long. Didn't recognize the car, drove over to find out what was going on. It was a woman that I don't know & 2 kids, the kids were peeing. Awkward =(.

BRYANT":2ngnwxcx said:
herofan":2ngnwxcx said:
I also don't understand why people put hunting stands near line fences. I'd rather have mine in the middle of my property so I don't annoy the neighbor.

I would rather someone put there stand on the fence row than put it a 100 yards off and shoot towards my property. If they own the land when they cross the fence they should be able to put stands any place they like, as long as they are not shooting on, toward or across your land. This is not the first time this has came up on this site and both times I never could understand how someone thinks they have the right to tell someone where they can or can not hang a stand as long as they are not shooting across the fence on to your property. :2cents: :2cents:

I don't have the right to tell people where to put their stands if it's on their property, none at all. They can put one every few feet on the line if they wish, but doesn't it look a little suspicious? Most people do not refrain from shooting on other's property; that's my complaint. And if someone happens to be driving near the line while they are hunting and it disturbs their hunt, they get irritated.

I just don't understand putting a stand on a property line, especially when one has a large area. My cousin, who hunts on my place, doesn't put a stand on the property line; it's nowhere near it. He has plenty of other options.

Latest posts