Why do blacks deserve more $$$

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Okay try to answer the question without getting into a CAB shoot out.... other than the phony marketing technique used by CAB and CHB, why do black hides deserve a higher selling price?

Not trying to stir the pot .... much :D

Alan

Alan":flfrjt92 said:
Okay try to answer the question without getting into a CAB shoot out.... other than the phony marketing technique used by CAB and CHB, why do black hides deserve a higher selling price?

Alan

I would never say black cattle deserve a higher price, but the demand for black cattle is higher than the demand for other colored cattle. Don't you believe in supply and demand? Look at the link above and count how many branded beef programs use the word "Angus" in their name? And that's only the USDA-approved programs. My supermarket used to sell "Preferred Angus Beef", but it wasn't a USDA approved program and now most all the 'burger joints are selling an "Angus" burger of some sort.

Hey, stir away...... BTW, CAB specs say nothing about HIDE.

Herefords.US":3cvvd7ga said:
My view - because they earned it!

George
I doubt they have put any more effort into raising their beef than anyone else. I will agree they have out marketed every one else. I will also agree that the quality of the beef is marbled better than most, as a breed. The CAB marketing plan was put together by a few but the association and all Angus owners have benefited from it. It that regard I cannot say they have earned it.

Herefords.US":1ecpw3uj said:

George

I really want to know why other than a great marketing plan.... how did they earn it? Other than marketing what make them better and more costly for buyers.

Alan

Frankie":1e58n6we said:
Alan":1e58n6we said:

Alan

I would never say black cattle deserve a higher price, but the demand for black cattle is higher than the demand for other colored cattle. Don't you believe in supply and demand? Look at the link above and count how many branded beef programs use the word "Angus" in their name? And that's only the USDA-approved programs. My supermarket used to sell "Preferred Angus Beef", but it wasn't a USDA approved program and now most all the 'burger joints are selling an "Angus" burger of some sort.

Hey, stir away...... BTW, CAB specs say nothing about HIDE.

Frankie, you're tip toeing down that CAB line :D

novatech":3im0094w said:
Herefords.US":3im0094w said:

George
I The CAB marketing plan was put together by a few but the association and all Angus owners have benefited from it. It that regard I cannot say they have earned it.

CAB was created by the American Angus Association when they saw demand for beef and demand for Angus cattle were both falling. Continental breeds had pretty much taken over the beef industry and packers were having a hard time filling orders for higher quality beef. So they got the USDA to change the grading system. The AAA fought that change, but they lost. They believed consumers would pay more for quality beef and started the CAB program. It wasn't a "few" in the Association. Some Directors did try to kill it more than once because of the expense when registrations were falling, but the Board, overall, and members supported it. it's taken a lot of years to get CAB where it is today. While people may not be able to afford beef as often as they'd like these days, they do want/expect good beef when they eat it.

novatech":f049rl6m said:
Herefords.US":f049rl6m said:

George
that regard I cannot say they have earned it.
In a way we have earned it or atleast the guys who feed their cattle out and get the data back on them have
because we have used different bulls and genetics to get what the customer wants
so alot of work has went into finding the right bulls and breeding the right type of females thru herd improvement
So I have worked on trying to get my cattle to grade as high as I can and I have done a pretty good job of it by going off of my grading sheets and premiums I get when selling my cattle either on the rail or straight off of the farm to a feedlot
As a member of the AAA they are supposed to work for me, so if people say that just because the AAA has done all of the work for us then that is correct in a sense because that is what they are paid to do
I don't believe AAA has done all of the work but they have provided us with tools to make our job easier
Just my take on it

Alan":1yg14r2z said:
Herefords.US":1yg14r2z said:

George

I really want to know why other than a great marketing plan.... how did they earn it? Other than marketing what make them better and more costly for buyers.

Alan

I'm a capitalist through and through. Coming up with great ideas is just as worthy of reward as "sweat of the brow".

If the "great marketing plan" resulted in increased demand and profits, they EARNED it!

George

Frankie":2pjmwkqd said:
CAB was created by the American Angus Association when they saw demand for beef and demand for Angus cattle were both falling. Continental breeds had pretty much taken over the beef industry and packers were having a hard time filling orders for higher quality beef. So they got the USDA to change the grading system. The AAA fought that change, but they lost. They believed consumers would pay more for quality beef and started the CAB program. It wasn't a "few" in the Association. Some Directors did try to kill it more than once because of the expense when registrations were falling, but the Board, overall, and members supported it. it's taken a lot of years to get CAB where it is today. While people may not be able to afford beef as often as they'd like these days, they do want/expect good beef when they eat it.
Wasn,t it Louis 'Mick' Colvin and the AAA directors in 1978? I don't have a clue how many directors there are but when you compare their numbers to the numbers owning black Angus, I would characterize that as a few. Even if you want to take all the people that have actually worked on it it is still just a few compared to how many people that are enjoying the benefits.

So if CAB was never thought up would Angus still bring more money? My openion is they would not.

novatech":1yhpzc3d said:
Wasn,t it Louis 'Mick' Colvin and the AAA directors in 1978? I don't have a clue how many directors there are but when you compare their numbers to the numbers owning black Angus, I would characterize that as a few. Even if you want to take all the people that have actually worked on it it is still just a few compared to how many people that are enjoying the benefits.

So if CAB was never thought up would Angus still bring more money? My openion is they would not.

No, it was an unhappy Angus breeder who was upset because he was served a bad "angus" steak. He approached a member of the Angus Board of Directors about establishing a premium meat program within the Association. Mick Colvin became a driving force in establishing CAB and keeping it alive as registration numbers dropped and money got very tight.

Yes, I think CAB has helped the breed tremendously and rightly so. The Assn stepped out from the herd (so to speak) and established a unique concept that has been well accepted by the consumers. While they were helping the Angus breed, they also paved the way for other branded beef programs.

Herefords.US":wv8r5gxd said:
Alan":wv8r5gxd said:
Herefords.US":wv8r5gxd said:

George

Alan

I'm a capitalist through and through. Coming up with great ideas is just as worthy of reward as "sweat of the brow".

If the "great marketing plan" resulted in increased demand and profits, they EARNED it!

George

George, I agree with you 100%, they have a great and effective marketing plan that has made them tons of cash..... but is it as simple as a sales job on folks, not the facts earned by Black Angus themselves that earns them the bigger $ In other words it's a sales job not performance.
Alan

Just laughable, Black Angus didn't earn it? You're joking right?

The Aberdeen Angus breed gained it worldwide reputation for producing great quality beef from cows that were adaptable to a wide range of climates and conditions.

They overtook their competition based on demand for the recognised superior product they produced.

The concept of CAB was discussed and editorialized for years, decades in fact, prior to the efforts of Mick Colvin and the late Fred Johnson in particular.

CAB would be a marketing scam if the product was no good, unfortunately for the competition it IS Good, repeatedly so. Demand for CAB has merely restated the case for Angus genetics, not forgetting the Angus breed actually took a stand against the least line of resistance taken by USDA in dumbing down the grading system and for the value of the brand and the breed. :clap:

But, hey, don't get too down taking less for your calves, do a better job of marketing. :D

You people need to slow down and read! the op says BLACK no where is angus in the title :???: If it was angus then you would have to throw in those good red ones.

I'm thinking we can read just fine' as from the outset CAB was referenced as a 'phony' marketing scheme. If you're tired of taking 10 or 20c/lb discount then swallow your pride and/or jealousy and paint 'em black or stand behind your own color or breed.

robert":22pne6vf said:
I'm thinking we can read just fine' as from the outset CAB was referenced as a 'phony' marketing scheme. If you're tired of taking 10 or 20c/lb discount then swallow your pride and/or jealousy and paint 'em black or stand behind your own color or breed.

I said CAB and CHB, I'm not jealous, I'm just asking if there is any thing that makes black hides truly better quality then other colored hides.

Alan

I think great cattle sells for top dollar, no matter the breed. Most of us test for marbling and offer that to our customers as well..

If one thinks that they can buy black cattle and make more than most dedicated producers, they are mistaking.

Also if you are a buyer and think that just because they are blk they will marble better and have a higher carcass detail etc. then they are mistaking as well.. To be top at anything takes time and commitment.

Great cattle sell well, no matter the breed.. The day we become all blk is the day I become a vegan..

Latest posts