Why do blacks deserve more $$$

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree the AAA has done a great marketing job and hats off to them for doing a much better job than other breed associations in that regard. Now black can be almost anything - limi, simi, chi, gelbv, heck there are even "black herefords" now! Black no longer equals angus and you sure can't count on much consistency to meat quality among these mixed breed black cattle. I think a lot of the more $$ at sale barns is simply due to marketing, a generally misinformed public, and the fact that a pen of black cattle just look more similar. To me, flaws and lack of phenotypic consistency in a pen of black cattle are just harder to see - they don't stick out like they do in a pen of reds, whites, mixed color cattle. Just my personal observation. ;-)

Look you said black hide, you must be young, because not so long ago black hide ment BLACK ANGUS , untill the other breeds allow appx. Reg. to pass of there non angus breed as angus...Cab is a great tool but without great cattle it would have failed,,,Then simm, limm,and a few others would be the color they were 30 years or so ago....non-black....And why have so many non black breeds beem turn black? If they are not worth more at the sale barn??

Alan":2govygzf said:
Okay try to answer the question without getting into a CAB shoot out.... other than the phony marketing technique used by CAB and CHB, why do black hides deserve a higher selling price?

Not trying to stir the pot .... much :D

Alan
How is it phony? No more phony than any other sales job. The reason black hided cattle may sell higher than other colored cattle is because of their potential as perceived by the buyer to meet CAB specs. The reason CAB is worth more (degree depending on supply lines) is because it can be sold at a premium at retail outlets because of the demand for it- people try it and like it and want more of it and are willing to pay more for it. Pretty simple.

ga. prime":15h6bynj said:
How is it phony? No more phony than any other sales job.
So everybody else deceives the public and it makes it all right. I think they call that rationalization.

The reason black hided cattle may sell higher than other colored cattle is because of their potential to meet CAB specs.
I don,t think they actually have the potential over many other breeds but the perception of having it is definitely in their head.

The reason CAB is worth more is because of the demand for it people try it and like it and want more of it and are willing to pay more for it. Pretty simple.
I really can't argue with that. Most house wives or men for that matter don't know how to cook a lean steak that's edible. Most people don't know how to choose a good cut of meat at the market so they let the name brands do it for them.

What percentage of pure Angus qualify for cab? There is simply not enough pure Angus that will make the grade, so they out source. The big plus is that they deceive the public into thinking they are eating 100% Angus. Thus giving the breed a boost at the same time.
I wonder how many F1's (not 51% black) make their way into the CAB packers? After all most people already think they are eating pure Angus, so what is a little thing like 1%. And it is OK to do it because everybody else does.

novatech":27vr5goh said:
ga. prime":27vr5goh said:
So everybody else deceives the public and it makes it all right. I think they call that rationalization.

The reason black hided cattle may sell higher than other colored cattle is because of their potential to meet CAB specs.
I don,t think they actually have the potential over many other breeds but the perception of having it is definitely in their head.

The reason CAB is worth more is because of the demand for it people try it and like it and want more of it and are willing to pay more for it. Pretty simple.
I really can't argue with that. Most house wives or men for that matter don't know how to cook a lean steak that's edible. Most people don't know how to choose a good cut of meat at the market so they let the name brands do it for them.

What percentage of pure Angus qualify for cab? There is simply not enough pure Angus that will make the grade, so they out source. The big plus is that they deceive the public into thinking they are eating 100% Angus. Thus giving the breed a boost at the same time.
I wonder how many F1's (not 51% black) make their way into the CAB packers? After all most people already think they are eating pure Angus, so what is a little thing like 1%. And it is OK to do it because everybody else does.
Read the specs. Just because people think they're eating 100% angus doesn;t make it deceptive anymore then people driving fords think that their vehicle is all made by ford, or chevy or dodge or studebaker or.........................................

novatech":1fa4p5f1 said:
ga. prime":1fa4p5f1 said:

Perception is the new reality. Read the specs. Just because people think they're eating 100% angus doesn;t make it deceptive anymore then people driving fords think that their vehicle is all made by ford, or chevy or dodge or studebaker or.........................................

ga. prime":3atby1h4 said:
The name means nothing, novatech. The proof is in the pudding.
Are you saying that without the name, Certified Angus Beef, that the Angus breed would still enjoy the popularity that it is enjoying today? If that were true Red Angus would have the same standing and popularity.

And Dun, Just because others do it don,t make it right. People have been doing it since time began and will continue until time stops. It still doesn't make it right. In my book anyway.

novatech":2kv9tu0h said:
ga. prime":2kv9tu0h said:
The name means nothing, novatech. The proof is in the pudding.
Are you saying that without the name, Certified Angus Beef, that the Angus breed would still enjoy the popularity that it is enjoying today? If that were true Red Angus would have the same standing and popularity.

And Dun, Just because others do it don,t make it right. People have been doing it since time began and will continue until time stops. It still doesn't make it right. In my book anyway.
I'm saying people's degree of knowledge of the % angus in CAB would not affect the bottom line- sales would remain the same. CAB is a brand name. Every product has one. It's just a name. The proof is in the pudding- that's what keeps people coming back to it.

ga. prime":28ap9ohg said:
I'm saying people's degree of knowledge of the % angus in CAB would not affect the bottom line- sales would remain the same. CAB is a brand name. Every product has one. It's just a name. The proof is in the pudding- that's what keeps people coming back to it.
I agree. Nothing at all wrong with the product. Excellent meat.

Because the Angus Association has done years and years of advertising that black cattle grade better and since there are a great number of black cattle going thru the feedlots they also have years and years of data, which makes them "more predictable" and the consumer equates quality with the terms "Black Angus"

Alan":2otyn1hq said:
Okay try to answer the question without getting into a CAB shoot out.... other than the phony marketing technique used by CAB and CHB, why do black hides deserve a higher selling price?

Not trying to stir the pot .... much :D

Alan

Latest posts