Why did you join the forum??

Help Support CattleToday:

So why did you join??

• To learn from experts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To give expert advice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I joined after we got into the purebreds and there were some things (like AI) that I was completely clueless at. We'd never done it on our commercial herd so I was doing some searching and came across this site. I didn't just stay on the sidelines because I had questions to ask and some that I could answer. I don't know everything there is to know about cattle and neither does anyone else on here. That is why is a great place to pool knowledge, so we can help each other out.

lilmac":18c7ag2h said:
I joined to read B.S. from jerks like Caustic whoever,
Masterbeef, TTCLM, Whynot, and to read people rant about such things as cheese. :roll:

It's clear that you bring a lot to the table........ :stop:

Jon

Well, I will be honest about why I joined. I was raised around dairy cattle. My grandad ran a dairy before the fence laws were put in place. He ran cattle where the Daytona International Speedway is today.

My dad went into beef cattle and I did the horse thing (thought they were chick magnets). Later I got into both but being raised by a couple of old school cattlemen I decided I would join to see if I could take advantage of some the schooled younger generation and become (hopefully) a better, smarter cattleman and maybe combine some old school with some new school stuff.

To be honest with you it sure wasnt to talk cows and horses.
Really I dont know how anybody can work at something all day and then spend all your spare time talking about work.
Well i do talk some on horses but its basically because lots of times that tends to be the more interesting threads on here but I would rather talk about other things.
Its really hard to talk about or explain horse training on the forum because you would have to write a book to really explain something.
I joined this forum and come on here every now and then just to kill some time, have fun and relax.
Sometimes I come on here to vent about things.
Urban people tend to be , well there different. You would think most people on here would be from rural areas?
I dont like the personal attacks. Never really happened to me on here yet except for that one time.
I dont know why some people tend to get so nasty on the internet? Maybe they are from urban backgrounds?
People I know in real life dont talk like that, especially to women.
As far as settling arguements by name calling. Well IMO if you have to resort to that, then you lose and just because the majority of people agree with you doesnt mean your right, just popular(wink).

I was a lurker, until the discussion on grass and hay started giving a sustainable/organic poster a difficult time, (ranchcop, I think). So I joined to give him a little support. He and a couple of others got bloody noses and left. I'm still here. Lurking mostly. Pick up little tidbits here and there that I use in my operation. I have not been a member that long, but miss some of the old posters. I do appreciate those that are still here. My favorite is when they supply a link for further information.

Because at the time I was wanting to get into vet school, and wanted to learn as much about cattle as I could because I didn't have that much hands on experience. I stay on it because now that I am in vet school, I continue to learn about things I know nothing about, and this forum is EXTREMELY educatonal as far as things you will see out in practice, but they will not necessarily teach you. I love to hear about the "not so typical" cases and how different cases are managed in the field, without the perfect setting of a veterinary teaching hospital. (Can we tell I love to browse the Health and Nutrition forum ;) ) And I love to see if I can guess what is wrong with an nimal before an "expert" comes along to give their opinion!

Also... oftentimes this forum teaches what NOT to do... before I would go out and do it myself ;)

VanC":3d12wyvs said:
I joined so I could argue with Frankie. Maybe someday I'll win. ;-)

You always do.

She just changes the subject on you. ;-)

[/quote]It's clear that you bring a lot to the table........ :stop:

Jon[/quote]

Another reares his ugly head :roll:
Hello J.D. No I don't bring much to the table, I came to EAT, for you see, I am one that came to learn ;-)
Most of what I see you bring to the table is not fit to chew on. :roll: My other side is a lot smarter than me. :lol: :lol: :?:
You and CB are not the only ones with alter egos. ;-)
Mac

It's clear that you bring a lot to the table........ :stop:

Jon[/quote]

Another reares his ugly head :roll:
Hello J.D. No I don't bring much to the table, I came to EAT, for you see, I am one that came to learn ;-)
Most of what I see you bring to the table is not fit to chew on. :roll: My other side is a lot smarter than me. :lol: :lol: :?:
You and CB are not the only ones with alter egos. ;-)
Mac[/quote]
287.gif
287.gif
287.gif

It was 2003 and the U.S. had it's first case of BSE. I searched the computer to find info and see how the market would react after the Christmas break. Didn't find much info but found a txag and a frankie to argue with about epd's. Made several friends here including frankie and txag. Both know my name and have seen pictures of my family. When you see us argue and it gets heated some don't realize we have a history that goes back to before you had to register. I think there were less than a hundred posters then. I've been around to see the cattle business break some of our Canadian friends. I've seen divorces, births, deaths and the other things life is made of. So many people here now that I don't know so I post very little. I wish I had a dollar for every hour I've wasted here but I guess I've enjoied it. Thanks Macon. I even shook a couple hands of some here. Met certherfbeef in Louisville and Lloyd in Denver. Talk to Jake on the phone from time to time and pm back and forth with a few of the old timers sharing photos , stories, and questions and answers.

I joined because I like cattle, the work associated with keeping them and most cow-related people.

I sold my cows some months back, and now stay because I still like cows, am a great volunteer in my neighborhood, and I love the jokes I find on here.

I joined because I had these six scraggly sale barn calves that I didn't know much about. Those are long gone now. One is in the freezer. I stay because everyone here is like good friends and family, most of the time. No one has ever beat up on me, and I have asked some really stupid questions!

Lammie":1cdqzdt8 said:
I joined because I had these six scraggly sale barn calves that I didn't know much about. Those are long gone now. One is in the freezer. I stay because everyone here is like good friends and family, most of the time. No one has ever beat up on me, and I have asked some really stupid questions!

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid answers. :lol:

I got tired of chasing goats from the wrong side of fences, so I thought I'd give these cattle a try. They were bigger and would have a harder time squeezing through.I came here looking for a few tips. I've been helped a bunch on corrals and catch pens. Everything else has been a wash (half tell you one thing, half tell you another). I've got a couple of people down the road if I need animal help in a pinch.

Brad (a real cattleman......just not a real GOOD cattleman)

Lammie":3f7jq2zy said:

Anyone whose clothes fall off when they drink Tequila is always welcome ;-) !

MikeC":3avtdx0u said:
Lammie":3avtdx0u said:

Anyone whose clothes fall off when they drink Tequila is always welcome ;-) !

Post some post Tequila pictures please. Now that makes it worth joining.

alabama":359dhndu said:
Post some post Tequila pictures please. Now that makes it worth joining.

specially after seeing her. Lets just say she won't make the crowder's wimmen cut. Get a pic of that one and you could sell it for lots of nickels.

Latest posts