Why did patch change?

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
I had been getting some heifers AI'd over the last month. First breeding was on 5/9. I saw her come back in on 5/30 and stuck her again. What could have happened that her patch was rubbed again? I am using the Kamar patches on her. The only thing that I can come up with, is that she scratched on something and it busted it. The timing is WAY off for it to be a heat cycle this soon. Or would there maybe be an instance where this has occurred. I just do not want to really put another $75 straw in her, unless I am sure it is a heat.

It may have been another heifer in heat riding her, a confused animal who was trying to ride another heifer who was in heat but got the wrong one, or any number of things she might have rubbed on. I watched a cow chewing on a Kamar patch one time on another cow!

Well, I had a thought that another was in heat, but then that one would be about 6 days early. Guess I'll just have to watch close the next few days and see what happens.

greatgerts":2bbhy4zm said:
I had been getting some heifers AI'd over the last month. First breeding was on 5/9. I saw her come back in on 5/30 and stuck her again. What could have happened that her patch was rubbed again? I am using the Kamar patches on her. The only thing that I can come up with, is that she scratched on something and it busted it. The timing is WAY off for it to be a heat cycle this soon. Or would there maybe be an instance where this has occurred. I just do not want to really put another $75 straw in her, unless I am sure it is a heat.

9 + 21 = 30 The timing is spot on.

Or do you mean she was in heat again after 5/30? If so it may be that she caught the Kamar on a low hanging branch. If it was indeed a heat I would rather cull her than waste another $75 on a subfertile cow.

K-Mars & "scratch" patches are only TOOLS. I definately would not breed her on a red K-Mar without other "signs" with the timing so off. It is common to have them come into heat 10 days after their "first" heat, but not very likely after showing a normal time cycle.

KNERSIE":21mztr69 said:
greatgerts":21mztr69 said:

9 + 21 = 30 The timing is spot on.

Or do you mean she was in heat again after 5/30? If so it may be that she caught the Kamar on a low hanging branch. If it was indeed a heat I would rather cull her than waste another $75 on a subfertile cow.

Yes, the patch was red this morning after being in heat on 5/30. I really hope that it was just that she rubbed on a branch or something. If she didn't take, she will be on the cull list. I am trying to work my herd to where I want it, and there isn't any need for ones that do not settle after a couple of heats, but until then, I am going to hope she is bred.

I've had several that came back in heat 16 days after the first round. Sounds a little odd for her to come back in 11 or 12 days. That said, I wouldn't be using $75 semen on an animal not showing signs of heat. My tech recommends having some cheaper semen (maybe a young sire) to use when you aren't sure of the timing of heat.

greatgerts":o2s48wds said:
Kamar Patches went out about 7 years ago >>>Try Estrus Alert >>>>
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 0AF382DA7C

We use Estrotect's (Estrus Alert) on our dairy cows they are a very handy tool to use, we have been caught out with these as well we had 11 cows + 1 heifer picked out to be sold & on a whim got the vet out to preg check the 12 - 11 of the milkers in calf, the heifer was empty she had a mummified calf inside her. Our vet told us that some cows can get over excited if there is another cow in heat that they (excited cows)will stand to be mounted & so their patches get rubbed off, making them look as though they are not incalf. (they were 11 very lucky cows )