Why can't I get this fever to go away?

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
Been treating 2 calves for pneumonia for about 7 days. The bull calf has been dosed twice with Draxxin in last week. (last being on thursday when the heifer got her first round of drugs. they both got the Draxxin,B12's, and a steroid).Prior to that round, the bull calf has had several days of Banamine each day..Since thursday, I have had them and their momma's in the barn with the fan and mister system on. (it was in the mid 90's today with a good wind) THeir temps tonight were 105 and 106. They are eating well, hydrated properly, and pooping normal. I had one shot of banamine left, so I gave that to the bull since he was at 106 tonight.
I'll call the vet on monday. I just can't understand why the temps haven't come down by now. Anyone have any thoughts.

Have you taken the cows temps? It may not be going down because of the heat of their environment. Take their temps early in the morning before it starts to get warm then again in the afternoon or early evening.

That's an excellent question. I think the answer is that these calves immune systems are not up to the challenges that face them. The next question is what to do now. They've already had some of the best antibiotics available and are still sick. All I can do is tell what I would do if I were where you are and I've been there many times. I think I would switch from Draxxin and go to A180 for antibiotic, as I said in the other post I would use Dexamethasone for a couple of days to get the fever down, I would give all calves Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, one dose now one in 14 days. Somehow we have to jump start the immune system in these calves and the only way I know to do this is with the Bovi-Shield 5.

Larry

dun":1f95mno3 said:
Have you taken the cows temps? It may not be going down because of the heat of their environment. Take their temps early in the morning before it starts to get warm then again in the afternoon or early evening.
Just for some more info, a week or so ago I was concern about a calf we had purchased in a group of 4. She had a cough that we had been treating and seemed to be running a temperature. Some of her mates I thought were running a temperature also. Took the temperature of a older calf in a different group and it was as high as the one I thought was sick. Our vet suggested this and I was comparing 2 black calves. Had a lighter colored calf in the group and his temperature was lower. We are in a hot spell here so it had their temps up to 103.5.

Should have added when I was seeing temps that high was late afternnon or early evening.

Well I kind of think that 103.6 in the morning and 106 at night is too high regardless of the weather, but I will have to defer to those from warmer climates. It usually doesn't get that hot here for extended periods of time, for us a couple days over 100 is about it. The heat definately makes it more of a challenge, but I would be cautious about blaming it all on the heat.

Larry

Can't say for sure its accurate. I am embarrassed to say I am on my 4th thermometer since this started. While cleaning them I have had the butter fingers and dropped 3 on the shop floor and they broke...So, 4 different thermometers have been used at this point. Its 8 AM just took the temp 104 and 103....And I didn't break the thermometer today, at least one thing is going right... I'm calling the vet when he opens in a few minutes...
Its gonna be a HOT week again. 100 all week long.... I'm getting nervus. I have to travel out of the country next week. Will be gone for 10 days. My regular house sitter is only good for feeding. I'm gonna have line up a real ranch hand to come by everyday and check on things (even if we get theses 2 100% by then)...Bad timing..

This may sound ignorant but it does work. I had a sick calf here recently. I had some naxcel on hand and treated it with that. It had maggots all over it so I took saline solution and rinsed it's eyes out and put fly spray on it. That took care of the maggots. Then he started laying around and not nursing so I gave him two rounds of electrolytes and he had a temp. I didnt have any banamine on hand so I gave him triaminic for kids and his fever broke. He is now up and running around full of piss and vinegar. I have not given him a shot in a couple days and he has been up and nursing since the second dose of electrolytes. Try some triaminic for the fever if you dont have any banamine. If you do have some banamine try that and see if it makes his fever break.

Well, we're still fighting fever. The calves are doing pretty well. They are well hydrated, and eating well. Their weight gains are normal. Their energy level is good, even normal at times.just the fever won't break. I have been giving banamine (3cc) every 12 hours. The bull calf (the worst) had his 3rd round of Draxxin today, and the heifer calf had her second round of Draxxin today. Still have some raspy lungs, but we have the "open mouth" panting in the bull controlled (I think)...Fever's yesterday were 102.5, today we were back up at 103 and 104 before they had their banamine..
It's been a tough fight. Vet says whatever is going around is a real booger. He said he doesn't see any "real" improvment in the animals he has treated until the 2 week mark. We're at about 10-14 days on these guys...I don't fear losing them at this point, if I can just get their fever under control, I'd feel a lot better.
On the updside, they'll both be pretty close to halter broke when this is all done...
I wonder if some hay that I put out caused this. I had a few rolls of hay grazer from last year I was feeding to get rid of. (about the time these guys were born) It had some spots in it that were pretty dusty and could have had some mold at the bottom..I took the loader and moved it all out of the barnyard just in case.

texanstraders":3vsbhz25 said:
Well, we're still fighting fever. The calves are doing pretty well. They are well hydrated, and eating well. Their weight gains are normal. Their energy level is good, even normal at times.just the fever won't break. I have been giving banamine (3cc) every 12 hours. The bull calf (the worst) had his 3rd round of Draxxin today, and the heifer calf had her second round of Draxxin today. Still have some raspy lungs, but we have the "open mouth" panting in the bull controlled (I think)...Fever's yesterday were 102.5, today we were back up at 103 and 104 before they had their banamine..
It's been a tough fight. Vet says whatever is going around is a real booger. He said he doesn't see any "real" improvment in the animals he has treated until the 2 week mark. We're at about 10-14 days on these guys...I don't fear losing them at this point, if I can just get their fever under control, I'd feel a lot better.
On the updside, they'll both be pretty close to halter broke when this is all done...
I wonder if some hay that I put out caused this. I had a few rolls of hay grazer from last year I was feeding to get rid of. (about the time these guys were born) It had some spots in it that were pretty dusty and could have had some mold at the bottom..I took the loader and moved it all out of the barnyard just in case.

Try the triaminic. Put about 20 cc in a syringe take the needle out and squirt it in their mouth. It cant hurt anything.

We had a heifer last year with the same issue. Draxxin wasn't working. 2 rounds and the fever never dropped below 104. Vet switched to A180 and after 7 days the fever was gone. Probias, sulfur boluses (preventive) and B12 injections were also prescribed.

OK, so I have another issue...The vet tech today told me to give the Draxxin IM...So I did before I left for work...Was just now doing some online reading and it says Draxxin should be injected Sub-Q..I will deal with tha bad advice tomorrow. My question is, have I just watsed that dose I gave today or will it absorb properly?

Well, we're still fighting fever. I have a vet house call scheduled for tommorow. I am going to see if we can change up the antibiotics to a180. The bull calf was at 106 at noon when I gave him the banamine. I'm afraid he may be a lost cause. He's still eating and getting around ok, just the darn fever is really high.He actually ate a few bites of some early weaner I bought today.
Its been brutally hot, but I have had the misters and fans going in the barn where he is. I am wondering if I should seperate him from the other sick calf at this point or leave them together ? The heifer still was running a 103 fever, but she has much more spring to her...
If I have to, will a .38 pistol behind the ear be ok. I don't have a .22 rifle. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the threshold is on this situation. If he was down and not eating, I can see that. I'm hoping the vet can guide me there too.
Thanks for listening and the advice. I have never lost one like this. I feel like I take good care of the animals and feel responsible that I didn't get on top of this sooner.

texanstraders":30s23ysv said:
will a .38 pistol behind the ear be ok. I don't have a .22 rifle. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the threshold is on this situation. If he was down and not eating, I can see that. I'm hoping the vet can guide me there too.
Well, if he's still eating, drinking and getting around, he may have a chance.
I'd be tempted to try what Larryshoat has suggested using the Bovishield Gold5.

As for the .38, I have never shot them behing the ear, I have done the tried-and-true mentally draw a line from right ear to corner of left eye and left ear to croner of right eye and aim for the X. Most of the time I've used a .22. I suppose a .38 would do the trick. Perhaps someone on here has used a .38.

Good luck.

Katherine

I guess I'll just turn this into my personal blog about this adventure...
I left work early tonight, cause my 2 weeks vacation started and I was not in the mood to serve the public...
Came home and the calf was perky...I gave some early weaner and you would have thought it was candy. He ate a good cup and a half and was chowing on some hay... I guess its just a roller coaster, just wish it had more ups right now. I'll give him a banamine shot at midnight. Until then, hopefully this cold front will bring some rain to north Texas (and I could only pray for my central Texas brothers)...I'll update tomorrow if anyone cares to read...Thanks for being a sounding board...

larryshoat":38i24025 said:
That's an excellent question. I think the answer is that these calves immune systems are not up to the challenges that face them. The next question is what to do now. They've already had some of the best antibiotics available and are still sick. All I can do is tell what I would do if I were where you are and I've been there many times. I think I would switch from Draxxin and go to A180 for antibiotic, as I said in the other post I would use Dexamethasone for a couple of days to get the fever down, I would give all calves Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, one dose now one in 14 days. Somehow we have to jump start the immune system in these calves and the only way I know to do this is with the Bovi-Shield 5.

Larry

I still think the above is the best advice I can give. As a general rule I don't stick with an antibiotic more than 48 hrs without seeing real improvement. What I sometimes do is add something to it, like Tylan 200 or LS50, or Spectinamycin, or Lincomix to broaden the spectrum of treatment and those can be bought over the counter. I agree with Katherine, if he's eating, drinking, and still getting around, I don't think I would shoot him.

Larry

Latest posts