Why can't I get this fever to go away?

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders":1m7aa5ta said:
Well, we're still fighting fever. I have a vet house call scheduled for tommorow. I am going to see if we can change up the antibiotics to a180. The bull calf was at 106 at noon when I gave him the banamine. I'm afraid he may be a lost cause. He's still eating and getting around ok, just the darn fever is really high.He actually ate a few bites of some early weaner I bought today.
Its been brutally hot, but I have had the misters and fans going in the barn where he is. I am wondering if I should seperate him from the other sick calf at this point or leave them together ? The heifer still was running a 103 fever, but she has much more spring to her...
If I have to, will a .38 pistol behind the ear be ok. I don't have a .22 rifle. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the threshold is on this situation. If he was down and not eating, I can see that. I'm hoping the vet can guide me there too.
Thanks for listening and the advice. I have never lost one like this. I feel like I take good care of the animals and feel responsible that I didn't get on top of this sooner.

I think you're making too big of a deal out of the fever thing, if the calves are eating and drinking, and seem to not be getting worse, I would concentrate on the raspy lungs and not be so concerned about the fever. Its hot like you say, they are under stress from the heat, and from the illness. Maybe treat the pneumonia with another drug, we use Nuflor for pneumonia, seems to work well.

fact is when you have baby calves, you are going to lose some, no matter what you do, it doesn't get easier, but its just the way it is, you can't save them all, plus each calf reacts differently to the medicine, and some strains of bugs effect each calf differently.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can, so don't be too hard on yourself.

GMN

Well, the vet was out last evening. We looked at all the calves and the momma's. He said everything looked good. The bull calf still running a little fever, but he was pleased with the energy level and his eating. The nose was a little runny, but its clear, and not green or snotty. He thinks we're gonna be ok. He said we could turn them out by sunday, just to keep an eye on them.
Yes, I guess I am a little hyper sensitive on this. I am proud to say I have never lost a calf although I know its going to happen. I have a small herd and they get my attention everyday. I just feel like I should have caught this one quicker. On the flip side, I don't want to drive my vet crazy. He's a great guy. Worked out good, I was his last stop for the day. We sat and talked about cars for 30 mins after he looked over the calves. (my other hobby)... Thanks for all the support here.

texanstraders":b79vmbho said:
Well, the vet was out last evening. We looked at all the calves and the momma's. He said everything looked good. The bull calf still running a little fever, but he was pleased with the energy level and his eating. The nose was a little runny, but its clear, and not green or snotty. He thinks we're gonna be ok. He said we could turn them out by sunday, just to keep an eye on them.
Yes, I guess I am a little hyper sensitive on this. I am proud to say I have never lost a calf although I know its going to happen. I have a small herd and they get my attention everyday. I just feel like I should have caught this one quicker. On the flip side, I don't want to drive my vet crazy. He's a great guy. Worked out good, I was his last stop for the day. We sat and talked about cars for 30 mins after he looked over the calves. (my other hobby)... Thanks for all the support here.

Some of these diseases come on so fast that you can't possibly stay on top of everything that can go wrong, be prepared yes, but don't be so hard on yourself either.

GMN

larryshoat":180pcblt said:
That's an excellent question. I think the answer is that these calves immune systems are not up to the challenges that face them. The next question is what to do now. They've already had some of the best antibiotics available and are still sick. All I can do is tell what I would do if I were where you are and I've been there many times. I think I would switch from Draxxin and go to A180 for antibiotic, as I said in the other post I would use Dexamethasone for a couple of days to get the fever down, I would give all calves Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, one dose now one in 14 days. Somehow we have to jump start the immune system in these calves and the only way I know to do this is with the Bovi-Shield 5.

Larry

I am not an expert in sick calves, but have learned a few things generally. I'm not sure about your strategy to "jump-start" the immne system.

First of all, fever is a by-product of an active immune system, so I don't think it is lacking. So in an effort to reduce the fever with Dexamethasone, you are suppressing immunity in general. Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid, and they suppress immunity. Yes, they make the animal feel better temporarily, but they pay for it if their immunity is suppressed. Like Jeanne said, fevers aren't all bad (as long as no brain damage and they're eating). Drugs like Banamine are a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, so they do not reduce immunity.

You can read about immune suppression here. Dexamethasone is one type of glucocorticoid, and it's over 25 times more potent than the cortisol normally produced in the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucocorticoid

Animals naturally produce a certain level of corticosteroids. When stressed, one type, cortisol, goes up in an effort to aid short term survival (fight or flight). However, it has the immune suppression effect long-term. Which is why vaccinating animals under stress (fear while weaning, shipping, poking, cutting, chasing, mixing herds) is a bad idea, as the immune system might not be working well. Thus this statement from the BoviShield product:

http://www.allivet.com/Bovi-Shield-Gold-5-p/25083.htm

This product has been shown to be efficacious in healthy animals. A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised, or the vaccine is not administered in accordance with label directions.

This is a modified live virus vaccine. There is a concept of live virus vaccines "reverting to virulence", meaning they can actually cause the disease they were meant to prevent, especially if a weak immune system. Don't know the actual risk of that with this product, but it's something to consider.

Texanstraders, how hot is it in the barn? If you're blowing 105 degree air around, won't necessarily cool them much. Perhaps you should consider building a small room with an air conditioner, or put them in the house. Then let us know the temp. Of course, heat reduces appetite, and the immune system can't work without calories, protein, other nutrients.

djinwa":3qx4skd3 said:
larryshoat":3qx4skd3 said:
That's an excellent question. I think the answer is that these calves immune systems are not up to the challenges that face them. The next question is what to do now. They've already had some of the best antibiotics available and are still sick. All I can do is tell what I would do if I were where you are and I've been there many times. I think I would switch from Draxxin and go to A180 for antibiotic, as I said in the other post I would use Dexamethasone for a couple of days to get the fever down, I would give all calves Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, one dose now one in 14 days. Somehow we have to jump start the immune system in these calves and the only way I know to do this is with the Bovi-Shield 5.

Larry

I am not an expert in sick calves, but have learned a few things generally. I'm not sure about your strategy to "jump-start" the immne system.

First of all, fever is a by-product of an active immune system, so I don't think it is lacking.
So I guess if we follow your logic, the higher the fever the better off we are. If the immune system is not lacking then why are they sick? 2 of the 3 calves in this little group are sick and you seem to think things are going fairly well, that's a pull rate of 66 2/3 %, that's a train wreck.
So in an effort to reduce the fever with Dexamethasone, you are suppressing immunity in general. Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid, and they suppress immunity. Yes, they make the animal feel better temporarily, but they pay for it if their immunity is suppressed. Like Jeanne said, fevers aren't all bad (as long as no brain damage and they're eating). Drugs like Banamine are a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, so they do not reduce immunity.
When I need immediate relief of symptoms, nothing works as well as dex. The fact that dex to some degree suppresses the immune system is a well known fact, so when we use it we know there is a trade off. For years dex was used in treatment protocols and without a doubt many cattle have benefited by it's use.

You can read about immune suppression here. Dexamethasone is one type of glucocorticoid, and it's over 25 times more potent than the cortisol normally produced in the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucocorticoid

Animals naturally produce a certain level of corticosteroids. When stressed, one type, cortisol, goes up in an effort to aid short term survival (fight or flight). However, it has the immune suppression effect long-term. Which is why vaccinating animals under stress (fear while weaning, shipping, poking, cutting, chasing, mixing herds) is a bad idea, as the immune system might not be working well. Thus this statement from the BoviShield product:

http://www.allivet.com/Bovi-Shield-Gold-5-p/25083.htm

This product has been shown to be efficacious in healthy animals. A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised, or the vaccine is not administered in accordance with label directions.

This is a modified live virus vaccine. There is a concept of live virus vaccines "reverting to virulence", meaning they can actually cause the disease they were meant to prevent, especially if a weak immune system. Don't know the actual risk of that with this product, but it's something to consider.
For years I have used MLV for treatment of BRD in cattle, I know it works. We discovered this by giving leftover vaccines to calves in the "junk" pen, to our surprise they got better. I've treated thosands of calves with the Bovi-Shield, it's safe and if you're having respiratory problems the more you use of it the bettr off you'll be.

Larry

Thanks for the help and the info.. When this started, I was fortunate that my vet had been treating a very expensive bull that that had sent to the vet school in Oklahoma for testing. Their testing showed that the only antibiotic that was effective in treating that ailment was Draxxin. He also learned that dosing 5 days apart (off label) was warranted. It took about 2 weeks for that bull to show improvement. Since these guys showed the same symptoms, that guided his treatment decisions. That turned out to be the exact time table for these guys. I am past the 2 week point with these 3. All are doing well and I have turned the 2 back out in the pasture. Fevers are down/gone. Appetite is great and energy levels are coming back to normal. The youngest one is a thoroughbred...she runs all around and wants to play. Mother nature has helped a bit. We had a few cool nights and days that only got to 90 or so.
Thanks again. I always appreciate the what I learn from the group here.