Why Black?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was just wondering why anything black has gotten to be better than red or any other color. Is the hide better? Do people think that black cows are genetically superior? I can't blame people for going black because that's what sells and we all want to make money. Most of my cows are black and I have a black bull. I'd just like to hear some opinions on what has made black cattle so big the past few years.

[email protected]

it all has to come down to overall supply and demand... i have also noticed that anything either black or charlois influenced usually brings the better price... it has to come down to the end producer being able to get more for the end product... whether it be in quality and/or quantity.

black angus seems to be a dirty word on this board right now, receiving alot of negative and sarcastic remarks from a few that seem to not to want to get along, but the breed has done well for a long time.. that says alot...

we all have different likes and preferences, and it is a shame that some choose to bash others over a breed of cattle... kinda silly to me.. i dont have anything for longhorns... but i have not right to bash someone cause they like em... from reading running arrow bills remarks, he seems to know exactly what he is doing and sounds like he is doing it well. i respect that immensely.

just my 2 cents

gene

> I was just wondering why anything
> black has gotten to be better than
> red or any other color. Is the
> hide better? Do people think that
> black cows are genetically
> superior? I can't blame people for
> going black because that's what
> sells and we all want to make
> money. Most of my cows are black
> and I have a black bull. I'd just
> like to hear some opinions on what
> has made black cattle so big the
> past few years.

[email protected]

In the past, black meant angus influence. Black hide is a requirement for CAB. Top calves of other colors do as well as equal quality black calves. Lower quality black calves will bring more then the same quality colored calves. It boils down to the possibility of CAB and angus claves having a higher likelyhood of grading choice or better.

dun

> I was just wondering why anything
> black has gotten to be better than
> red or any other color. Is the
> hide better? Do people think that
> black cows are genetically
> superior? I can't blame people for
> going black because that's what
> sells and we all want to make
> money. Most of my cows are black
> and I have a black bull. I'd just
> like to hear some opinions on what
> has made black cattle so big the
> past few years.

cause Black Angus the most unpredictable Breed, a breed can't be so variable in size and weight unless all the crossbreeding perform on it in the past and all was because Black.

[email protected]

Black Angus has done alot for many different reasons. The breed is old, from the point of view that it is controled,closed book,breeding. It is pure in the fact it is not a crossed up breed of cattle, It is Angus. The Breed vaires in size due to the large number that is in it. So producers like large cattle some like smaller cows, thus large and small cows inthe breed due to selection, that has been going on before most other breeds were even thought of... History a long and controled,breeding program, and just damn good cattle... All the damn marketing in the world is not going to sale a bad breed,or bad cattle..It will get them noticed but the Breed has to have what it takes, to stay in the light.. Angus Blacks are the best cattle in the world, This is not my opion, but the opion of all the people whom raise them and there cross. As a fact I think Anguss breederd out number other breeder probly 5 to 1 based numbers. I know ther bull useage does... Bottom line there has never been a single breed of cattle that has impacted the cattle business such that of the Black Angus...It is not a over night success brought on by marketing but years of a strong believe in the breed by people who loved them, I personally am proud of them (the breeders and Angus cattle)and what they have given to us..Without Black Angus there would be NO Black Limms.,Black Simms., Murry Grays, Black Gelvies, Balancers, Black Baldies, Brangus. and I am sure there are more that I missed. So when people put down Black Angus I really do not under stand... Because They Are The Great Improver....and The Breed Shows IT...

[email protected]

> Black Angus has done alot for many
> different reasons. The breed is
> old, from the point of view that
> it is controled,closed
> book,breeding. It is pure in the
> fact it is not a crossed up breed
> of cattle, It is Angus. The Breed
> vaires in size due to the large
> number that is in it. So producers
> like large cattle some like
> smaller cows, thus large and small
> cows inthe breed due to selection,
> that has been going on before most
> other breeds were even thought
> of... History a long and
> controled,breeding program, and
> just damn good cattle... All the
> damn marketing in the world is not
> going to sale a bad breed,or bad
> cattle..It will get them noticed
> but the Breed has to have what it
> takes, to stay in the light..
> Angus Blacks are the best cattle
> in the world, This is not my
> opion, but the opion of all the
> people whom raise them and there
> cross. As a fact I think Anguss
> breederd out number other breeder
> probly 5 to 1 based numbers. I
> know ther bull useage does...
> Bottom line there has never been a
> single breed of cattle that has
> impacted the cattle business such
> that of the Black Angus...It is
> not a over night success brought
> on by marketing but years of a
> strong believe in the breed by
> people who loved them, I
> personally am proud of them (the
> breeders and Angus cattle)and what
> they have given to us..Without
> Black Angus there would be NO
> Black Limms.,Black Simms., Murry
> Grays, Black Gelvies, Balancers,
> Black Baldies, Brangus. and I am
> sure there are more that I missed.
> So when people put down Black
> Angus I really do not under
> stand... Because They Are The
> Great Improver....and The Breed
> Shows IT...

Alf, I agree, Angus cattle are great cattle. However they are not the best proformers in all climates. When you add Brahman to the mix you have repersentive of each breed that excel in different climates, Brahman in hoter areas and Angus in cooler areas. When you combine them to the right percentage, 3/8 Brahman, 5/8 Angus, you have a more versital and hardy breed called Brangus. They will grow hair for the colder areas and excell in the warmer areas of the country. Brangus tend to be more docil than stright Angus. The Brangus cow combines all the outstanding maternal traits of both parental breeds and weans considerably heavier calves than either.

One must understand the Angus is the premier beef quality breed, but one must also understand that the cost of raising them in all conditions may not be the most profitable.

[email protected]

This is exactly why the Angus breed is superior. There are black Angus cattle in every state, the successful breeders raise quality cattle to fit their environments. For example i live in the Sand Hills of Nebraska, cattle here must be fertile, athletic, and be what we like to call "rangy" where the cow will thrive on grass, travel more distance to get it and then breed up the following year all while nursing a 550 lb. calf. Now if you took a cow from Florida up here coming off a bermuda grass pasture she would fall of considerably and not produce. There are Angus cows out there that will and do fit into any environment.

to much bla, bla, bla on Black Angus, I know the traits of the breed but I'm not with it, it's very unpredictable and with a lot of variations that I won't put a penny on it.

> Black Angus has done alot for many
> different reasons. The breed is
> old, from the point of view that
> it is controled,closed
> book,breeding. It is pure in the
> fact it is not a crossed up breed
> of cattle, It is Angus. The Breed
> vaires in size due to the large
> number that is in it. So producers
> like large cattle some like
> smaller cows, thus large and small
> cows inthe breed due to selection,
> that has been going on before most
> other breeds were even thought
> of... History a long and
> controled,breeding program, and
> just damn good cattle... All the
> damn marketing in the world is not
> going to sale a bad breed,or bad
> cattle..It will get them noticed
> but the Breed has to have what it
> takes, to stay in the light..
> Angus Blacks are the best cattle
> in the world, This is not my
> opion, but the opion of all the
> people whom raise them and there
> cross. As a fact I think Anguss
> breederd out number other breeder
> probly 5 to 1 based numbers. I
> know ther bull useage does...
> Bottom line there has never been a
> single breed of cattle that has
> impacted the cattle business such
> that of the Black Angus...It is
> not a over night success brought
> on by marketing but years of a
> strong believe in the breed by
> people who loved them, I
> personally am proud of them (the
> breeders and Angus cattle)and what
> they have given to us..Without
> Black Angus there would be NO
> Black Limms.,Black Simms., Murry
> Grays, Black Gelvies, Balancers,
> Black Baldies, Brangus. and I am
> sure there are more that I missed.
> So when people put down Black
> Angus I really do not under
> stand... Because They Are The
> Great Improver....and The Breed
> Shows IT...

[email protected]

I know What Brangus is..but hell what is a brahman? No really what is and where from? Seams no one knows what it is and where it came from..Some place hot and tropical, glad I am not from there...So I raise angus(BLACKS) and crosses...No need for hot weather cattle or for that matter cold weather ones either.

[email protected]

> I know What Brangus is..but hell
> what is a brahman? No really what
> is and where from? Seams no one
> knows what it is and where it came
> from..Some place hot and tropical,
> glad I am not from there...So I
> raise angus(BLACKS) and
> crosses...No need for hot weather
> cattle or for that matter cold
> weather ones either.

Go to the Breeds area in this web site and choose Brahman.

[email protected]

No kidding, really? And after I do that what do I know? Nothing, any other suggestions. I suggestion befor giving advice , on simple matters, read it. And practice it. ALF

[email protected]

> No kidding, really? And after I do
> that what do I know? Nothing, any
> other suggestions. I suggestion
> befor giving advice , on simple
> matters, read it. And practice it.
> ALF

If you don't like that suggestion then go to <A HREF="http://www.brahman.org" TARGET="_blank">www.brahman.org</A> for the info.

[email protected]

Latest posts