Why are women different then men?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

angus9259

Reaction score
I am male. In Michigan, I'm part of the Michgan CattleMEN's association. At their annual conference, they have several breakout sessions for women. One is on cattle photography and the other on cooking beef. Isn't that sexist? That said, why are the cooking and photography breakouts just for women? Here's one of the exact quotes "attention cattle women. you will want to hear David Zino, executive director of the national cattlemen's beef association culinary center . . . . " Does anyone else find this strange or is it just my feminine side emerging again? Or maybe I should just put on my skirt and take my hair legs to the cattle photo shoot session.

I'm going to suggest that next month they have some breakout sessions on the best way to clean cattlemen's work clothes and the most effective way to bear their children.

angus9259":1wyqbop7 said:
I'm going to suggest that next month they have some breakout sessions on the best way to clean cattlemen's work clothes and the most effective way to bear their children.
just let em keep their shoes..... you ever clean cow sht from between you toes...dont be asking how i know either :p

When they break- I just stay with the men. The men are used to it now and don't even raise their eyebrows any more :) The women are less forgiving as a whole. Its easier now- I'm old and not good looking anymore. I had to have tough skin when I was younger.
Hubby would rather take a beating than go to a meeting- so to make it worse I go alone. I go with hair pulled back, no makeup and just clean work clothes so I don't stick out like a sore thumb.
Most of the women don't work with the cattle or have much input so it seems normal and good to them to break off and do something else that interests them. I'm glad they have something fun to do to- just don't expect me to be joining them when theres cattle talk going on somewhere else.
Since I started theres now several other involved women that stay with the men- but they seem uncomfortable and look like a fifth appendage of their husband :) Oh well maybe the next generation............

People still usually assume that the man is the cattleperson and the wife runs the house. I run into it every time my husband and I go to sales or other cattle functions. He likes the cows but is the city slicker and is just learning what it's all about. But if there is a question about our cattle I get bypassed and they ask him first. Bless his heart he points at me and lets them know I'm the "cattleman" in the family every time. I used to find it annoying but that's life - the cattle business is still steeped in the "good ol' boys network". A lot of those good ol' boys have been wonderful mentors and I respect them :tiphat: but there are some that will treat me like the little missus no matter what.

If you have a herd of 100 cows, how many bulls do you need? Whatever you answer, the chances are you answered less than the quantity of cows. Why?

HerefordSire":1nmvgh9i said:
If you have a herd of 100 cows, how many bulls do you need? Whatever you answer, the chances are you answered less than the quantity of cows. Why?

What praytell do you mean by that?

redcowsrule33":2r2dsp4q said:
HerefordSire":2r2dsp4q said:

think about it over the weekend and get back too him. but the lord and he only, know the answer. ;-)

alacattleman":26rbrnzt said:
redcowsrule33":26rbrnzt said:
HerefordSire":26rbrnzt said:

think about it over the weekend and get back too him. but h the lord and he only, know the answer. ;-)

I'm just hoping that my interpretation is the wrong one :roll:

redcowsrule33":2j2omoei said:
HerefordSire":2j2omoei said:

I figured I would get some attention, which is good. I am a male. I am not sexist. I call the shots as I see them. No more and no less. I could be correct or incorrect.

The strongest force in the world for biological animals is to reproduce. There is no stronger force in the enviromment in which we live. A male is less valuable than a female unless you don't have sufficient males. This leads to male insecurity. A male will usually defend against becoming obsolete.

HerefordSire":1hoehhz9 said:
The strongest force in the world for biological animals is to reproduce. There is no stronger force in the enviromment in which we live. A male is less valuable than a female unless you don't have sufficient males. This leads to male insecurity. A male will usually defend against becoming obsolete.[/i]

Actually, I'm intruiged. So are you hypothesizing that male insecurity is what forces men to push women into the culinary room while the rest of us tend to "important" work - because we know deep in our being that they are actually more biologically important?

In my experience, one should be very careful about words used when conversing about this subject. My beliefs go back to years and years of studying. The main worldy (not spiritually) difference between a male lion and a male human is intelligence. However, given a specific environment, a male human will act just like a male lion. Secondly, the force of reproduction is so strong in our environment, if a female is not available, some males will attempt to reproduce with another male even though it is biologically impossible.

I really dont see an issue with the women going to the cooking or photography sessions. Just in my upbringing I havent know many women that were interested in cattle. Then again the women I also know would be even less interested in taking pictures of cattle or learning new recipes.

Out of curiosity how many women show up to those meetings?

redcowsrule33":1vk1w78z said:
People still usually assume that the man is the cattleperson and the wife runs the house. I run into it every time my husband and I go to sales or other cattle functions. He likes the cows but is the city slicker and is just learning what it's all about. But if there is a question about our cattle I get bypassed and they ask him first. Bless his heart he points at me and lets them know I'm the "cattleman" in the family every time. I used to find it annoying but that's life - the cattle business is still steeped in the "good ol' boys network". A lot of those good ol' boys have been wonderful mentors and I respect them :tiphat: but there are some that will treat me like the little missus no matter what.

:nod: :nod: :nod: Same here. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of times that has happened with me and my husband. I'm finally beginning to get used to it. He lends a hand when I need it (with the cows....and dishes sometimes :lol: ) without complaint. But sometimes it gets really tiresome to be not taken seriously. Oh well, I have found ways to deal with it.

Katherine

HerefordSire":fcmautor said:
In my experience, one should be very careful about words used when conversing about this subject. My beliefs go back to years and years of studying. The main worldy (not spiritually) difference between a male lion and a male human is intelligence. However, given a specific environment, a male human will act just like a male lion. Secondly, the force of reproduction is so strong in our environment, if a female is not available, some males will attempt to reproduce with another male even though it is biologically impossible.

Sorry HerefordSire, but we part here. I may be a leo by birth, but I do not believe that under any environment will I act like a lion.

This is where humans are supposed to be superior and use their power to reason. A reasonable human being will realize that a woman is just as important as a man.

Very good post! In Louisiana, we have the Louisiana Cattlemen's Association which puts out a monthly magazine. There's always Mrs. Betsy, or some other woman, telling the cattle "women" how to cook their latest recipes. If I were a woman cattleperson, I would probably be offended. On the other hand though, the same magazine publishes articles written by "experts" advising cattlemen. One of the more prominent experts is Dr. Navarre - a woman. I've had the pleasure to listen to her lecture in person, she's very knowledgable.

Ever research history about cannabalism? The force in which I refer to is much stronger than hunger pains. Think about it.

That is why I refused to go to any dairy congresses they were the worst. The men had all these really interesting thing scheduled and the women were to have tea and learn how to basket weave or something else that is completely useless. I say give me a shot of whisky and lets get down to business.. :lol2:

I will never forget the first animal I ever bid on at an auction. It was a dairy sale that was held every week (only Holsteins) and hubby and I went all the time as we sold and bought, they all new me. Well I saw this beautiful heifer, a Storm daughter that was ready to freshen in a month. I fell in love with her and had to have her, told hubby and he said yes whatever you want she looks good and Storm has great daughters. So he takes off for a smoke break right when my gal comes into the ring. I start bidding around $2000........well tried to ,I was COMPLETELY ignored I literally had to stand up and say "You hoo excuse me, but I am bidding here...can you not see me!!!" I am hard to miss ,I was not hard on the eyes and 5'11".. Really hard to miss. Anyways I had a set price and went way over it , I thought scr@w it, like I would let any of those aholes out bid me, that heifer is mine no matter what she sells for. Hubby didn't say to much when we went to pay the bill, the way I figured it he shouldn't have been smoking anyways, he should have been paying attention..Also the last time I have ever been ignored at any sale.. :nod:

I think times are changing though and women are really taken seriously especially in this industry. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts