Why are tattoos so popular?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
First of all, I don't intend for this to be a tattoo bashing thread, I'm just wondering what has made tattoos so popular among the average person these days.

It's that time of year where clothing is starting to show more flesh, and for whatever reason, I just seem to be noticing everybody and his brother has a tattoo these days.

It seems like there was a time when certain personalities had tattoos, like bikers and such. These days, I'll see a woman out that looks like she's from Walton's Mountain, and she'll have some kind of tattoo. I've noticed feet and ankles are a hot spot for women.

It seems that a tattoo is not something that one does on a whim, and I don't assume they're cheap. So what is the attraction. Is it celebrity driven or what?

People want to make a statement and or want to be unique. I used to find them disgusting and trashy, but that official title has since been transferred to nose/lip rings.

They're in style now. I really think that's all it is. But, as my wife says, "These young girls need to realize that canvas isn't going to stay tight."

By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.

Rafter S":2prqi56w said:
They're in style now. I really think that's all it is. But, as my wife says, "These young girls need to realize that canvas isn't going to stay tight."

By the way, I tell her she doesn't need one. After all, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Maserati.

You smooth talking devil you!

Rafter S":10xac20r said:

Adding to that sentiment: friend of mine got a tattoo of Mickey Mouse above her ankle when she graduated & started teaching grade school, the kids loved it. 30 years later it's an embarrassment and she's considering having it removed.

Rafter S":31l48ghh said:

:lol2: I guess that explains why you see so many bumper stickers on Volkswagen buses.

Today I saw what I'm sure was once a hot biker chick but trust me she wasn't that hot with all her tats. Sortof reminded me of a soggy cigarette in a urinal.

There are a bunch of young ladies that have those cute little butterflies going to look like an old buzzard coming off the roost in 30 years.
I don't understand some of these young folks that are completely covered along looking like they fell into a tackle box.

In ancient times first tattoos were a simple stripe used to mark troublemakers/prisoners before release to warn others
this person is a criminal, beware. Then to identify slaves and ownership. Mummies have been found and believed
some of them received tattoos as some sort of healing medical treatment.
Mummies found in Egypt mostly women and tattoos indicated status.

In some cultures appears they were punitive, and evolved into a tough guy status thing.
Today ornamental to express your individuality... just like everyone else. 8)

Jogeephus":37mllrus said:
Rafter S":37mllrus said:
Excellent Point.

Today I saw what I'm sure was once a hot biker chick but trust me she wasn't that hot with all her tats.
Sort of reminded me of a soggy cigarette in a urinal.

Very descriptive imagery and I know just what you mean.

Aaron":2q3wqx0e said:
People want to make a statement and or want to be unique. I used to find them disgusting and trashy, but that official title has since been transferred to nose/lip rings.

:nod: I agree. I was never a big tattoo person unless they were ex-military but they have kind of grown on me. There is some really neat stuff out there.

I can't get behind all the piercings though... unless its a really hot chick... then I could probably look past it.

Caustic Burno":1jvb80sx said:
There are a bunch of young ladies that have those cute little butterflies going to look like an old buzzard coming off the roost in 30 years.
I don't understand some of these young folks that are completely covered along looking like they fell into a tackle box.

:lol: :lol: :lol: CB if you don't mind Im going to need to use that

Brute 23":8q8t6c2i said:
Aaron":8q8t6c2i said:

:nod: I agree. I was never a big tattoo person unless they were ex-military but they have kind of grown on me. There is some really neat stuff out there.

I can't get behind all the piercings though... unless its a really hot chick... then I could probably look past it.

Seen that a few times and I still think it's horrid.

If I'm in a place looking for a good time for the night.
Is she has tattoos.
That's the first clue for poor judgement and impulse behavior :lol:

Aaron":2tghe7n7 said:
Brute 23":2tghe7n7 said:
Aaron":2tghe7n7 said:

Seen that a few times and I still think it's horrid.
Still single right??

Please nobody take offense to this, but if I was single, I don't think I could bring myself to date a woman with a tattoo. Her body, her choice, but it's my hang up.

M-5":3pgg8msx said:
Bigfoot":3pgg8msx said:
Please nobody take offense to this, but if I was single, I don't think I could bring myself to date a woman with a tattoo. Her body, her choice, but it's my hang up.
Yea everybody should judge a book by it's cover , right?

Past performance is our best indicator of future performance.

Bigfoot":3jjpph7g said:
M-5":3jjpph7g said:
Bigfoot":3jjpph7g said:

That thief on the cross might disagree.

M-5":1z649j5k said:
Bigfoot":1z649j5k said:
M-5":1z649j5k said:

That thief on the cross might disagree.

I also couldn't date a woman that sits a glass on the table, when a coaster is in plane sight. I got lots of hang ups.

Latest posts