Why Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROB":3sj0upt7 said:
Frankie":3sj0upt7 said:
Step on some toes, did I? This article isn't about contests. It's about putting money in your pocket. Using Angus genetics has made producers, feedlots, and packers money. If they weren't making money on Angus genetics, they wouldn't use and/or pay more for them.

Using Continental bulls might help with YG, but I don't believe it's necessary. There are Angus bulls that will produce acceptable YGs AND marbling AND produce calves that meet specifications for the many branded beef programs that prefer Angus genetics.

I don't know. Did we just see some results of a feedlot test? Post the link to the official results so we can see the facts. Were they REAL Braunvieh or Angus crosses?

All the Braunvieh I've seen were black; so I asume they were crossed with Angus. But then Angus can improve lots of breeds. :lol: :lol:

frankie- this whole thread seems to be a contest with you :lol:

ROB

Contest? I posted an article similar to your BEST article. I didn't beat up yours; why is it ok for you to beat up mine?

3waycross":1a4rwkkx said:
Well Frankie, as usual you are hoisted on your own petard.

The point was that continentals can help improve YG on Angus not the other way around.

Here is a quote from the information on the test

The champion steer posted an average daily gain of 4.569, yield grade of 2.23 and a "Choice-" quality grade. He placed seventh in the carcass division, fourth in rate-of-gain and was named the overall winner with the lowest combined scores. The champion steer was 5/8 Braunvieh and 3/8 Angus, out of a percentage Braunvieh cow and a Braunvieh bull.

Looks like we have to lock down another one eh' Frankie :nod: :cowboy:

Why lock it down? The animal was almost half Angus. There are registered animals of some breeds with smaller percentages of their "breed" blood. A little more Angus and he might have graded CAB. :)

Frankie":1sph84oo said:
HerefordSire":1sph84oo said:
Any or all of the following "desired results" will do....feedlot, sale barn, rail, breeding stock.

Let me work through this. :) More Angus bulls are tested for feedlot performance than any other breed in the US. Bulls that gain well on test should produce steers that excel in the feedlot. Stands to reason. There are lot more angus than any other breed. What I want to seen is the feed lot efficiency (RFI) studies.

Sale barn? The Angus Assn has been running the "Where's the Premium" program for years. Consistently, year after year, Angus-influenced calves outsell similar calves around the country at the sale barns. And on video auction. Not where I live. F1 brafords will out sell F1 brangus 10 to 1 in this part of the world.

On the rail? The demand for "Angus" by the packers adds value to cattle sired by Angus bulls. Angus is known for marbling. Marbled beef is more valuable than non-marbled beef. More branded beef programs are built on Angus genetics than any other breed, thus those carcasses are more valuable. No comment

Breeding stock? For the last several years, we've registered more animals than any other breed...by far. We sell more bulls; the Angus cow is the backbone of the US beef industry. How many good ones.

The answer is right in front of us: Angus, the Business Breed. Yes Marketing plays an important role in busines. :D

Frankie":8wt2biil said:
HerefordSire":8wt2biil said:
Any or all of the following "desired results" will do....feedlot, sale barn, rail, breeding stock.

Let me work through this. :) More Angus bulls are tested for feedlot performance than any other breed in the US. Bulls that gain well on test should produce steers that excel in the feedlot.

Sale barn? The Angus Assn has been running the "Where's the Premium" program for years. Consistently, year after year, Angus-influenced calves outsell similar calves around the country at the sale barns. And on video auction.

On the rail? The demand for "Angus" by the packers adds value to cattle sired by Angus bulls. Angus is known for marbling. Marbled beef is more valuable than non-marbled beef. More branded beef programs are built on Angus genetics than any other breed, thus those carcasses are more valuable.

Breeding stock? For the last several years, we've registered more animals than any other breed...by far. We sell more bulls; the Angus cow is the backbone of the US beef industry.

The answer is right in front of us: Angus, the Business Breed. :D

If I understand you, your answer to this question...

Disregarding the published Angus top line data you have presented, which breed and or crosses are the most efficient for producers?

...is Angus.

Your four categories of desired results seem to mention numbers as the ideal indicator, which may be correct, as the masses are usually correct. Have any data to back up your answer in regards to my question? You see, I don't think there is any data to back it up. I think there is plenty of data to back up the numbers you are presenting, such as top line numbers, etc., as shown in the orginal document. The real question is, is Angus the answer, or just temporarily slowing us down by getting in our way?

Frankie":10pvyb24 said:
3waycross":10pvyb24 said:
Well Frankie, as usual you are hoisted on your own petard.

The point was that continentals can help improve YG on Angus not the other way around.

Here is a quote from the information on the test

The champion steer posted an average daily gain of 4.569, yield grade of 2.23 and a "Choice-" quality grade. He placed seventh in the carcass division, fourth in rate-of-gain and was named the overall winner with the lowest combined scores. The champion steer was 5/8 Braunvieh and 3/8 Angus, out of a percentage Braunvieh cow and a Braunvieh bull.

Looks like we have to lock down another one eh' Frankie :nod: :cowboy:

Why lock it down? The animal was almost half Angus. There are registered animals of some breeds with smaller percentages of their "breed" blood. A little more Angus and he might have graded CAB. :)

Frankie that may be the funniest thing you have ever said. Why didn't you say he was almost pure Braunvieh., BTW how do you know he didn't qualify for CAB, if he was blk hided he could have been 7/8 Braunvieh and still qualified for CAB

YOU ARE FOR SURE SHAMELESS

HerefordSire":2g378v7q said:
Frankie":2g378v7q said:
HerefordSire":2g378v7q said:

Let me work through this. :) More Angus bulls are tested for feedlot performance than any other breed in the US. Bulls that gain well on test should produce steers that excel in the feedlot.

Sale barn? The Angus Assn has been running the "Where's the Premium" program for years. Consistently, year after year, Angus-influenced calves outsell similar calves around the country at the sale barns. And on video auction.

On the rail? The demand for "Angus" by the packers adds value to cattle sired by Angus bulls. Angus is known for marbling. Marbled beef is more valuable than non-marbled beef. More branded beef programs are built on Angus genetics than any other breed, thus those carcasses are more valuable.

Breeding stock? For the last several years, we've registered more animals than any other breed...by far. We sell more bulls; the Angus cow is the backbone of the US beef industry.

The answer is right in front of us: Angus, the Business Breed. :D

If I understand you, your answer to this question...

Disregarding the published Angus top line data you have presented, which breed and or crosses are the most efficient for producers?

...is Angus.

Your four categories of desired results seem to mention numbers as the ideal indicator, which may be correct, as the masses are usually correct. Have any data to back up your answer in regards to my question? You see, I don't think there is any data to back it up. I think there is plenty of data to back up the numbers you are presenting, such as top line numbers, etc., as shown in the orginal document. The real question is, is Angus the answer, or just temporarily slowing us down by getting in our way?

Sorry, your rambling comment doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Yes, I can show you data that Angus bulls do well on test. And that more are tested than any other breed. And that Angus cattle do well in the feedlot.

http://southwestfarmpress.com/news/0911 ... producers/

Link to "Here's the Premium."

http://www.cabpartners.com/news/publish ... remium.pdf

Angus genetics are in demand because more branded beef programs use "angus" carcasses. Not to mention the fast food operations and non USDA-certified programs. That demand trickles back to the cattleman. Here's a link to the USDA-approved program. Drive down a highway and look at the fast food operations to see how many are advertising an "Angus burger."

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... acct=lsstd

You have to be moving to be slowed down. ;-) I really don't think Angus is getting in anyone's way. They're far ahead of the pack.

i think i can sell my limi and limi cross calves for as much as you can sell angus and angus cross calves.I sell to lean beef markets, so a whole bunch of angus calves across the nation keeps the demand and prices as high or higher for my lean calves.

That's what great about raising cattle over pigs and chickens we still can decide what breed we want and how to market it. A friend from back east found out what I was making rainsing butcher beef and selling locally into four states. His quote was "Why the hell are you even raising any bulls?". We averged 200.00 profit on each steer, boring old mild mannered white faces. My demand has increased every year for my product so I will continue to avoid sale barns and large packers and enjoy the green.

Jeff

houstoncutter said:
your dead on Frankie about the popularity of Angus sired cattle........of course you also have to take credit for the rise in yeild grades as well..............so the next decade might look a bit different as packers are getting tired of the black outliners....namely 4's and 5's............So far the only way to solve that problem is to cross with continental bull[/quote

Ill stand by my statement Frankie............if your gonna sing the praises of Angus u gotta to admit you got a problem in yeild grades.........and befor you go off half cocked about some lines of Angus can preform in the yeild grade catagory........remember that heavy line breeding is what got you the curly calf problem..........If I live in more northern climates a half Angus outta a Simmi,Limi,Gelp,Char are Braunvieh would be the ticket........but down here on the Gulf Coast that calf will not preform, and neither will the cow that is a Angus and that goes for LIMMIs, Chars,Simmi........down here its gotta have some ear....at least half for the cow

houstoncutter":2m9bkx1v said:
houstoncutter":2m9bkx1v said:
your dead on Frankie about the popularity of Angus sired cattle........of course you also have to take credit for the rise in yeild grades as well..............so the next decade might look a bit different as packers are getting tired of the black outliners....namely 4's and 5's............So far the only way to solve that problem is to cross with continental bull[/quote

Ill stand by my statement Frankie............if your gonna sing the praises of Angus u gotta to admit you got a problem in yeild grades.........and befor you go off half cocked about some lines of Angus can preform in the yeild grade catagory........remember that heavy line breeding is what got you the curly calf problem..........If I live in more northern climates a half Angus outta a Simmi,Limi,Gelp,Char are Braunvieh would be the ticket........but down here on the Gulf Coast that calf will not preform, and neither will the cow that is a Angus and that goes for LIMMIs, Chars,Simmi........down here its gotta have some ear....at least half for the cow

And I'll stand by mine....without line breeding. Yield grades are manageable in the feedlot. GAR Precision 1680 was only one of many Angus bulls with a negative Fat EPD.

I raise angus, and Sell Freezer beef and the occasional bull. I am breeding maternal cattle that are a success on the dinner table. Not too big, not too little. I have a type that I believe works in my mind. To date, no complaints about the quality and tenderness of our beef. I could have started doing this with any breed, there are good shorthorns and herefords and red polls and .... I don't particularly think that the vast majority of angus are very good cattle. I certainly don't use anything AI that any of the bull studs market. The crazy thing about this, is that the majority of Angus cattle out there are terminal cattle and obviously other breeds do the terminal thing much more effectively than angus do. So buy a bull from me, or somebody like me to produce your breeding females and get an "Efficient" terminal bull, any bull but angus, I would recommend:

1. Hereford for baldies
2. Shorthorn, solid red ones
3. Limmies
4. Simmis
5. Braunvieh

With these you can hit CAB and get the heterosis benefits! :)

Chars would be good, but I don't think that the calves would be black hided. If you don't care about CAB, they would be tops or second

Whatever you do, avoid the terminal angus, that is a loser all around

KMacGinley":2jmcrxp8 said:
I raise angus, and Sell Freezer beef and the occasional bull. I am breeding maternal cattle that are a success on the dinner table. Not too big, not too little. I have a type that I believe works in my mind. To date, no complaints about the quality and tenderness of our beef. I could have started doing this with any breed, there are good shorthorns and herefords and red polls and .... I don't particularly think that the vast majority of angus are very good cattle. I certainly don't use anything AI that any of the bull studs market. The crazy thing about this, is that the majority of Angus cattle out there are terminal cattle and obviously other breeds do the terminal thing much more effectively than angus do. So buy a bull from me, or somebody like me to produce your breeding females and get an "Efficient" terminal bull, any bull but angus, I would recommend:

1. Hereford for baldies
2. Shorthorn, solid red ones
3. Limmies
4. Simmis
5. Braunvieh

With these you can hit CAB and get the heterosis benefits! :)

Chars would be good, but I don't think that the calves would be black hided. If you don't care about CAB, they would be tops or second

Whatever you do, avoid the terminal angus, that is a loser all around

Every Charolais x Angus calf I've ever seen had a black hide. Around here, the smokes sell in the same pens with the blacks. The original post said english x continental were docked 2.5 - 2.7 /cwt compared to primarily angus cattle, but what about the extra 100 pounds that were on those english x continental calves?

KMacGinley":t9c371q9 said:
Exactly, YG 2 and a 100 lbs heavier and less feed to get there. !

I agree. There's more than one way to do the cow business and more than ONE breed to do it with.

100 lbs. Give me a break. :lol: :lol:

Angus Foundation Invests $75,000 in Research

Producing a quality product to satisfy customers has long been the goal of Angus breeders. Helping to fund research activities for the purpose of advancing the agricultural industry, benefiting Angus breeders and other beef producers has long been a goal of the Angus Foundation. By investing in two specific research projects aimed at helping Angus producers fulfill their goals, the Angus Foundation is doing its part to ensure the future of the Angus breed and the cattle industry are on the cutting edge of science and profitability.

One of the projects, spearheaded by Stephen Smith of Texas A & M University, aims to create more of these satisfied customers.

The American Angus Association®'s Research Priorities Committee set similar goals last fall, and sought financial support from its nonprofit affiliate the Angus Foundation.

Smith, along with colleagues at the University of Idaho and Texas Tech University, submitted the proposal titled, "Regulation of Marbling Development in Beef Cattle by Specific Fatty Acids."

"Marbling and quality of end product surfaced in our priority list," says Milford Jenkins, Foundation president. "If we can help our Angus seedstock and commercial producers enhance their profitably through utilization of Angus genetics, then we believe it's a win-win-win."

That's why the Foundation pledged $50,000 in supplemental funding to assist the scientists in researching how vitamins A and D affect fat deposition.

"In a nutshell, we're trying to figure out how to improve quality grade and yield grade simultaneously by understanding the development of fat," says Matt Doumit, University of Idaho meat scientist. "We're looking at the effects of fatty acids on the differentiation of fat cells from intramuscular fat depots – which give rise to marbling – as well as those from subcutaneous fat."

"This is a time when it's difficult for the cattle industry because the price of feed is high and the price of beef is not, so anything the industry can do to improve efficiency and still maintain product quality is a benefit," Doumit says.

Another project titled, "Genomic and Proteomic Markers for Angus Bull Fertility," also met the goals of the research priorities committee and is being funded by the Angus Foundation at $25,000.

Dr. Erdogan Memili, DVM, Ph.D, at Mississippi State University states that despite improvements in genetics, reproduction efficiency of cattle has been declining and causing millions of dollars of economic loss. A thorough understanding of proteins and gene sequences regulating bull fertility are essential for obtaining consistently high reproductive efficiency and to ensure lower cost and prevent time-loss by breeders.

As the lead researcher, Memili hopes this research will help to identify protein biomarkers and SNP markers associated with Angus bull fertility and to make these markers available to producers.

"We feel that this research project will make a significant impact on Angus breeders as we are able to more thoroughly understand the proteins and gene sequences that regulate bull fertility, and how their function is essential for obtaining consistently high reproductive efficiency," states Bill Bowman, Chief Operating Officer of the American Angus Association.

Research projects to identify possible solutions to the unique challenges incurred by agricultural interests, specifically the beef cattle industry and its various segments from the producer to the consumer, will continue to be at the forefront of the Angus Foundation's research activities.

Resources are required to address these aforementioned endeavors. Hence, the Angus Foundation encourages the commitment of personal and financial resources from Angus breeders, allied industry interests and friends toward these priority objectives. Balancing the interest of the donor with the needs of the Angus Foundation, and helping them understand how their charitable generosity can have an indelible impact on the education, youth and research programs of the Angus Foundation, is the goal of the Angus Foundation.

"We're able to make this level of investment only because of generous charitable contributions to the Angus Foundation by breeders, allied industry interests and friends of the breed," Jenkins says.

The Foundation's ambitious Vision of Value: Campaign for Angus is working to raise $11 million by December 31, 2011, with funds going toward youth, education and research. For more information about how you can support the campaign, log on to http://www.angusfoundation.org.

Frankie":1p9osmcs said:
100 lbs. Give me a break. :lol: :lol:

Angus Foundation Invests $75,000 in Research

Producing a quality product to satisfy customers has long been the goal of Angus breeders. Helping to fund research activities for the purpose of advancing the agricultural industry, benefiting Angus breeders and other beef producers has long been a goal of the Angus Foundation. By investing in two specific research projects aimed at helping Angus producers fulfill their goals, the Angus Foundation is doing its part to ensure the future of the Angus breed and the cattle industry are on the cutting edge of science and profitability.

One of the projects, spearheaded by Stephen Smith of Texas A & M University, aims to create more of these satisfied customers.

The American Angus Association®'s Research Priorities Committee set similar goals last fall, and sought financial support from its nonprofit affiliate the Angus Foundation.

Smith, along with colleagues at the University of Idaho and Texas Tech University, submitted the proposal titled, "Regulation of Marbling Development in Beef Cattle by Specific Fatty Acids."

"Marbling and quality of end product surfaced in our priority list," says Milford Jenkins, Foundation president. "If we can help our Angus seedstock and commercial producers enhance their profitably through utilization of Angus genetics, then we believe it's a win-win-win."

That's why the Foundation pledged $50,000 in supplemental funding to assist the scientists in researching how vitamins A and D affect fat deposition.

"In a nutshell, we're trying to figure out how to improve quality grade and yield grade simultaneously by understanding the development of fat," says Matt Doumit, University of Idaho meat scientist. "We're looking at the effects of fatty acids on the differentiation of fat cells from intramuscular fat depots – which give rise to marbling – as well as those from subcutaneous fat."

"This is a time when it's difficult for the cattle industry because the price of feed is high and the price of beef is not, so anything the industry can do to improve efficiency and still maintain product quality is a benefit," Doumit says.

Another project titled, "Genomic and Proteomic Markers for Angus Bull Fertility," also met the goals of the research priorities committee and is being funded by the Angus Foundation at $25,000.

Dr. Erdogan Memili, DVM, Ph.D, at Mississippi State University states that despite improvements in genetics, reproduction efficiency of cattle has been declining and causing millions of dollars of economic loss. A thorough understanding of proteins and gene sequences regulating bull fertility are essential for obtaining consistently high reproductive efficiency and to ensure lower cost and prevent time-loss by breeders.

As the lead researcher, Memili hopes this research will help to identify protein biomarkers and SNP markers associated with Angus bull fertility and to make these markers available to producers.

"We feel that this research project will make a significant impact on Angus breeders as we are able to more thoroughly understand the proteins and gene sequences that regulate bull fertility, and how their function is essential for obtaining consistently high reproductive efficiency," states Bill Bowman, Chief Operating Officer of the American Angus Association.

Research projects to identify possible solutions to the unique challenges incurred by agricultural interests, specifically the beef cattle industry and its various segments from the producer to the consumer, will continue to be at the forefront of the Angus Foundation's research activities.

Resources are required to address these aforementioned endeavors. Hence, the Angus Foundation encourages the commitment of personal and financial resources from Angus breeders, allied industry interests and friends toward these priority objectives. Balancing the interest of the donor with the needs of the Angus Foundation, and helping them understand how their charitable generosity can have an indelible impact on the education, youth and research programs of the Angus Foundation, is the goal of the Angus Foundation.

"We're able to make this level of investment only because of generous charitable contributions to the Angus Foundation by breeders, allied industry interests and friends of the breed," Jenkins says.

The Foundation's ambitious Vision of Value: Campaign for Angus is working to raise $11 million by December 31, 2011, with funds going toward youth, education and research. For more information about how you can support the campaign, log on to http://www.angusfoundation.org.
Here endith the Gospel for the day !! Did somebody say something about Ed being long-winded ???????? :wave:

Frankie said:"We're able to make this level of investment only because of generous charitable contributions to the Angus Foundation by breeders, allied industry interests and friends of the breed," Jenkins says.

Hmmm....allied industry interests and friends of the breed. Sounds like Angus really is the business breed.

As much as I advocate research into improving carcass traits and reproductive efficiency, isn't this just starting to sound more and more like all of your US and our Canadian universities and colleges? World class research facilities and staff at the discretion of the highest bidder? And are ALL of the intentions truly good and right?

It's great that producers can get a premium through the work of the American Angus Association, don't get me wrong. But there always seems to be a line where something gets big enough and sooner or later big things attract big friends with big pocketbooks and big alterior motives. It's a shame that we can't seem to have one without the other.

Producer driven program that creates premium prices for cattle = great.

Producer program getting direction from allied industry interests = bad.

Just my opinion.

PC

I think any program that creates good prices for the cattleman is great.

But we shouldn't forget who ultimately pays for our product: the consumer. She's not going to pay a premium for beef that doesn't meet her expectations. Marbling is an important element in consumer satisfaction. If the consumer doesn't pay a premium, the packer's not going to pay a premium, or the feedlot, to the producer.....

talldog":1i5vlt2d said:
Here endith the Gospel for the day !! Did somebody say something about Ed being long-winded ???????? :wave:

What makes you think I'm finished for the day? It's early yet. :D

Frankie":1yuzuuhs said:

I think any program that creates good prices for the cattleman is great.

But we shouldn't forget who ultimately pays for our product: the consumer. She's not going to pay a premium for beef that doesn't meet her expectations. Marbling is an important element in consumer satisfaction. If the consumer doesn't pay a premium, the packer's not going to pay a premium, or the feedlot, to the producer.....

Where did you come up with the conclusion that I've forgotten the consumer? I was talking about who pays for the research and sets it in a self-motivated direction, and you're bringing up a different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.