Why all the big ranch dispersal's

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing so many big ranch dispersal's. Maybe there are as many small guys that sell out without all the fan fare and advertising I would assume a ranch with millions in cattle,equip,facalities, are owned by businessmen with these as a hobby or tax benefit. I know the drought isn't the cause of these complete dispersal's but I'm sure it doesn't help. With all the females being sold, weaned calves and replacements that are going to packing houses, in a couple years replacement quality females will be sky high if we can get out of this drought,

The majority of the dispersals I've seen are older folks that are retiring or changing life styles. The drought may have some bearing on it. I sure don;t know how many ofthese droughts I have left in me before I chuck it all (again).

dun

dun":3j75nt7m said:
The majority of the dispersals I've seen are older folks that are retiring or changing life styles. The drought may have some bearing on it. I sure don;t know how many ofthese droughts I have left in me before I chuck it all (again).

dun

:shock: Please don't do it dun.

dun":3rf9kjxn said:

dun

good point, dun!! Around here, you are seeing more and more of the larger/family ranches selling out to the developers because the kids are leaving for college and for jobs that have "retirement, health insurance, vacation, monday-friday/9-5 hours, holidays and nights off"!! How very, very sad!! :(

around here, the tax on ag land increases play right into developers hands....with scrub ag land at $3,000 to $5000 an acre on the block most older folks think that the gold roads of heaven just opened up for em and they no longer have to fight the tax increases. maybe (i hope anyway) the housing market slowdown will shift things back to sane before it is all gone. It is a real shame....they aren't making anymore land, so we need to protect what is left!