Why a top sires dieing

Help Support CattleToday:

Which bulls are you talking about? Give some examples & maybe someone can tell you what happened.

SCfarms":2q13mk21 said:
In every breed the best bulls in the breed are dieing. Why?What is the Problem??
One reason could be is that in many cases, by the time a bull has proven himself to be one of the best bulls in the breed, old age has caught up with him

The best bulls in the breed often spend their entire lives standing in stalls waiting to be collected. From what I have seen, the bulls that spend a lot of time as a semen donor seem to break down sooner concerning their legs and traveling.

SCfarms":3ggng68m said:
In every breed the best bulls in the breed are dieing. Why?What is the Problem??
Masny times the Insurance Value is more than the bull is worth, especially with sorry calves that often come from highly promoted bulls that finally get used in a wide selection of farms. I have also heard that some of the promoted bulls are having a hard time with DNA testing - seems our high tech has finally caught some of the "evil dooers" of the cattle breeding business.

Larry Sansom":2jjqe4vk said:
SCfarms":2jjqe4vk said:
Masny times the Insurance Value is more than the bull is worth, especially with sorry calves that often come from highly promoted bulls that finally get used in a wide selection of farms. I have also heard that some of the promoted bulls are having a hard time with DNA testing - seems our high tech has finally caught some of the "evil dooers" of the cattle breeding business.

dna testing should be mandatory for all breeds by their breed associations
but the truth is that the directors of most breed associations would choose to refraim from this because they are just as guilty or they would want to first cut their losses by dooping someone else

dna testing should be mandatory for all breeds by their breed associations
but the truth is that the directors of most breed associations would choose to refraim from this because they are just as guilty or they would want to first cut their losses by dooping someone else[/quote]

Pretty broad statement. Do you know this to be fact.

Latest posts