Whos the Daddy??

Help Support CattleToday:

Here you go folks, Nancy and her mystery baby...

For those that follow Charolais, Nancy is a flush mate sister to the Three Trees Wind 0383 bull.

I talked to my herd bull Injector today, he says thats his boy too :D

Cotton1

Pretty pretty calf or should I say handsome??? Nancy looks like she has a nice udder too. Yeah, I think I'd go with Injector and agree it's his!!! Thing is here we always figure on a bull calf if it's late.....

Thank you Farmerjan. If you believe in EPDs, Nancy has a +2 milk EPD. Breed average is +8. So far 2 older calfs have been stealing from her, and she has a plenty.

The Nancy line is one I have some experience with, and they all milk well. From what I am seeing now, this one will be a milk machine on her next calf. I have one Nancy cow here that is 10 year old that milks like a holstien, and I am not stretching it. She is supposed to calf this week, so I will try to get a picture up. Its nice to know when to ignore EPDs :cowboy:

Cotton1

I have had the same issue twice. I once had a calf go 11 days past AI date and another that was 16. I run Santa Gertrudis cows and AI to Santa Gertrudis bulls. My clean up bull is a L1 hereford. Both calves were clearly Santa Gertrudis calves. One cow had not even been exposed to a bull until several weeks after AI. I had to pull the 16 day late calf. Both calves were much heavier than my normal calf weight. If your calf had been larger I would say it was a result of AI. Because I like to go against the grain I will still go with AI.

Midtncattle- Did you ever do any parentage testing on yours?

I'm glad I'm not the only cow poke with weird stuff happening :lol:

Cotton1

cotton1":2nu1ldbj said:
Midtncattle- Did you ever do any parentage testing on yours?

I'm glad I'm not the only cow poke with weird stuff happening :lol:

Cotton1

There is really no need Cotton. The hereford clean up bull makes it clear they are not pure gert calves. I do appreciate the Charolais info. Going forward I will be looking for 3 foundation females.

Had an AIed Brown Swiss heifer go 15 days late with a bull calf , so you will not know till you do testing , I do not run a bull everything is AI
Suzanne

Latest posts