Who's semen is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Danny

Reaction score
I recently bought a tank from a guy and it already had some semen in it. Most of it is Limousin. LM250 10/5/89. LM003. 295Y 8/13/91. 90LM 950 3/5/92. GRET 3/20/89. Thanks in advance.

With our semen storage facility, the "Code" refers to the numbers the semen processing facility used to identify the specific bull that was jumped and perhaps some other ID data. Some of our purchased Longhorn semen has "TL" in the code along with other collection numbers.

IMO without knowing who processed the semen, it might be difficult to find out who whose straws were from!

On our stored semen, the sky's the limit on the format or numbering of the different bull's semen. Different system used by different collection & processing facilities.

Bottomline: If the seller of the tank doesn't know (duh!), then if you can find out what facility collected and processed the semen, they perhaps have a record of which bulls the codes were assigned to.

Good Luck!

I think the guy said the semen came from ABS. He took his Beefmaster semen out of the tank before he sold it to me and said that he had left me some semen in there...mostly limousin. I don't plan on using the limousin semen, but I'd like to know who the bull is if I decide to sell it.

Danny":3dc9adqb said:
I think the guy said the semen came from ABS. He took his Beefmaster semen out of the tank before he sold it to me and said that he had left me some semen in there...mostly limousin. I don't plan on using the limousin semen, but I'd like to know who the bull is if I decide to sell it.

If it's from ABS, it will say ABS, then CSS then the bulls name then normally his registration number and finally the collection agency (29 is ABS) the standardbreed code, LM is limousine, the bulls stud id, 4 digits, then the date it was collected. BTW, ABS isn't any where near 250 for the LM bull stud id

dun

You will waste a little semen,but the name of the bull and his registration number is usually printed on the straws. Once you get it out to look at it you had probably better just throw it away because light and thawing will damage the quality of the semen.

It's Gretzky GVC 748X, Polled Justice 298Y, Polled Pack Leader, LKCC Tomahawks Touchdown, and Master Brun. I don't know if these bulls are much good or not. I've never really dealt with limos. Let me know if you've had any experience with these bulls' calves.

Danny":2irhyh6t said:
It's Gretzky GVC 748X, Polled Justice 298Y, Polled Pack Leader, LKCC Tomahawks Touchdown, and Master Brun. I don't know if these bulls are much good or not. I've never really dealt with limos. Let me know if you've had any experience with these bulls' calves.

Were you able to get the stud code off of the straws? That would be the 2 digit (occasionaly 1 digit) number that precedes the breed code.

dun

I've never bred a Limo in my life ( I did put an embryo in once that was a Limo) but even I recognize some of the names from a few years ago.

Danny":1jjbb05s said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Polled Pack Leader FI 1182U
NOT IN HERD
Sire: YKCC 124N Grand Sire: Seventy Forty Seven PURE 900K
Grand Dam: RX 264X
Dam: FI 1150N Grand Sire:
Grand Dam:

dun":q86bwntn said:
Danny":q86bwntn said:

Were you able to get the stud code off of the straws? That would be the 2 digit (occasionaly 1 digit) number that precedes the breed code.

dun

----------------------------------------------------------

90LM0690 LKCC Tomahawks Touchdown (HP, HB, 87%) +2.2 .96 +31.3 .94 +66.8 .90 +14.5 .90 +30.2 .91 +0.8 .94 +0.5 .87 $60 LKCC BLK NUGGET

rainmaker":2zhi1uml said:
dun":2zhi1uml said:
Danny":2zhi1uml said:

dun

----------------------------------------------------------

90LM0690 LKCC Tomahawks Touchdown (HP, HB, 87%) +2.2 .96 +31.3 .94 +66.8 .90 +14.5 .90 +30.2 .91 +0.8 .94 +0.5 .87 $60 LKCC BLK NUGGET

It was collected by:

Genex - Hawkeye West
3642 Dustin Dr., Rt. 9
Billings, MT 59101
Tel: 406/656-9034
Fax: 406/656-9870 (formerly assigned to Hawkeye West, Big Sky Genetics)

So, if you contact Genex they should be able to give you all the particulars on the bull

dun