Who's got snow, who's cutting hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
The picture in I luv Herfords post got me to thinking about the differences in seasons from north to south. Who still has snow and who is cutting hay?
Here in southwestern VA the cows have been turned out on grass for about 3 weeks. Lots of rain. Will cut hay in about 4 weeks.

Lots of oat and rye grass hay being cut and baled here in Central Texas. Whohoo! Expecting rain again tonight and into tomorrow. Temps today in the mid 80's.

Would have already been cutting if we had gotten any amount of rain November - February. Do have 15 acres of bermuda/oats that needs to be cleaned off. Not going to make much but it is the first pasture not needed since reducing the herd. Reason I didn't cut today is the weather forecast promises rain. :roll: Yeah, right.

just snow left on the north side of things, or on the north side of the bush. Still feeding hay, grass has not decided to grow. Pussy willows are just starting, and we have had about 5 nights in total with no frost...not all in a row.

jedstivers":vlkqroyv said:
We have more (ryegrass, vetch, and fescue) ready to cut if this monsoon would ever quit (sorry vett).

That was us in the first half of 2007. By the end we were wondering if it would ever rain again. I'd say we are just on good rain away from having hay out the wazoo to cut. Kind of the way it has been for quite a while - just one good rain away. :D

Cut it when you can if you got it. :nod:

rockridgecattle":39qp0g0s said:
just snow left on the north side of things, or on the north side of the bush. Still feeding hay, grass has not decided to grow. be nice willows are just starting, and we have had about 5 nights in total with no frost...not all in a row.

You know, when you shut the freezer down up their, it's going to get hot down here. :p

1982vett":o8d8fxcq said:
rockridgecattle":o8d8fxcq said:
just snow left on the north side of things, or on the north side of the bush. Still feeding hay, grass has not decided to grow. be nice willows are just starting, and we have had about 5 nights in total with no frost...not all in a row.

You know, when you shut the freezer down up their, it's going to get hot down here. :p

Vette I am giving you a heads up now as I just unplugged the "freezer" until next winter..better turn on your AC :p

Same here RR ,I was hoping we would have some pasture by now but really nothing has grown and certainly not enough to feed the cows for even one day. I don't know how long I am going to be able to feed hay as my supply is really dwindling and I thought I would have a lot left over for next year. The up side is we should be able to get into the field soon to seed the hay land we we broke up last year.

kenny thomas":1nbbyqce said:
11:00PM, temp 62F. Giving 3" rain in the next few days. Watch the grass grow. Cows really squirting.

It's 62.5F according to the fancy digital thermometer that I got for Christmas, just starting to sprinkle in the last few minutes. Got back from the local firehouse's tractor pull about a half hour or so ago. Man, you see some sights there! It's like Redneck Woodstock.

All of our cows have been out for about 2 weeks, got one group here penned up in a small pasture letting the rest of the place catch up. I'm trying to make them eat the few remaining rolls that are left setting outside, they don't seem too interested. I wouldn't get within 10' of the south end of a northbound cow.

Similar to RR and HD. Not much snow left, even on the north side of things. Some ice left under the wintering grounds pack. Is freezing tonight/this morning. Grass is growing. Cut portion of the lawn for the first time yesterday. Shipped spring calving cows out from calving grounds to open fields 2 days ago...happier than pigs in *hit with last years grass and a little new stuff. Four cows left the calve. Just itching to do some fencing as the frost is now out of the ground. Maybe later today. :cowboy:

I have some Rye ready to cut and bale if we could get a week with no rain
We haven't had alot of rain but have been getting a few 10ths just about everyday for the last couple of weeks yesterday and today we have gotten almost 2 inches

Friday 50 miles to the North west they got over 5" in about 6 hrs

will have hay ready to cut in june.but the way its raining it maybe july fore it gets dry enough to cut hay.

Cows are nibbling on the green shoots, we have 2-3 weeks of feeding hay. Crops are being seeded. This week the temps are supposed to be in the mid sixties. Spring is here. :D :D

grannysoo":19lln0i7 said:
If we can get some rain, we can cut in a few weeks. Flooded 3 weeks ago, dry as a bone now.
Hope you get some today. Three weeks is to long without rain, even if it is spring.

Snow's all gone here. The cows are out on pasture. Grass is growing well, and the alfalfa is just starting. It will be about 6-8 weeks before we cut hay. It is supposed to rain today, they say.

We branded yesterday. Everybody showed up with heavy coats on, but they didn't stay on long. :D
Branding2009001.jpg

One of the guys waiting to get going. Look behind him, most of the snow is gone. There was still snow on the ground Saturday morning.

Branding2009010.jpg

Son standing in the mud in the corral. We both ended up with sun burns. :D

man i wouldnt want to wade that mudd working cows.sorry that yall got sunburned working cows.hope your son didnt come out of his boots.

I saw a guy cutting hay Friday before last. I don't know that he ever got it cured enough to bale before the rains set in.

Latest posts