Who's got all the money?

Help Support CattleToday:

nerancher, Thanks for a great post. I like to leave bulls in until preg check. We cull based on vet preg check. Even a short bred cow is worth $100-$200 more than an open kill cow. Did I understand that you believe your heifers are breeding 80% on that false heat after the MGA and progesterone? What was the issue with reproductive organs that the vet saw? Can't follow the math on the 6% dropout for the first 3years. If 6% of purchased cattle fall out each year, you are losing the difference between buying a cow bred for your calving season and selling a short bred or open cow.This is an important number, but should be compared to the cost of raising a replacement heifer. In smaller herds, which most are, (less than maybe 300 head) this cost is probably in favor of the terminal herd. Would appreciate hearing your responses.Thanks.
We run 100 cows. Like many we have purchased a few females. Many in this area bought several after the drought of 13. On the Northern heifers that were sold in this area as Breda or pairs most saw a 30-40% cull rate before the 2nd calf was born. We usually see a 5-8% on retained heifers. Worst would be 10. If I feel the need to buy a heifer it will be one raised in this environment and one I know the sire, herd and if possible the dam. The Best buy's I've made have been registered cows. Some are older proven producers. Some have been younger cows. I don't plan too ever buy another out of area heifer again.

nerancher, Thanks for a great post. I like to leave bulls in until preg check. We cull based on vet preg check. Even a short bred cow is worth $100-$200 more than an open kill cow. Did I understand that you believe your heifers are breeding 80% on that false heat after the MGA and progesterone? What was the issue with reproductive organs that the vet saw? Can't follow the math on the 6% dropout for the first 3years. If 6% of purchased cattle fall out each year, you are losing the difference between buying a cow bred for your calving season and selling a short bred or open cow.This is an important number, but should be compared to the cost of raising a replacement heifer. In smaller herds, which most are, (less than maybe 300 head) this cost is probably in favor of the terminal herd. Would appreciate hearing your responses.Thanks.
When 6-8% fall out they don't always breed back, lose a her calf, or raise a very late small calf...
The issue is selling a few old even short mouths don't bring what we feel they would or should bring.
The point is how expensive a bred cow going out of the herd really is versus the very high cost of a good bred heifer and how high the drop out percentage, at least for me actual was.
I was not very happy when I reviewed my records over several years on bought bred cows or heifers. Money lost remains money lost.
What makes a "good ol cow" is her being a Good Ol Cow. Weening an above average calf, breeding back early, an easy disposition, and one that does not require antibiotics is the model every ranch strives for.
Save the heifer calves from those good ol cows and its like collecting mana from heaven.
Gary

nerancher, thanks for your response. Still curious about the heifer breed up with synchronization.