whos buying all these dam houses

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":2gzpapsx said:
we are doing okay...hes pretty good. better than I thought..life isn't the same so we do the best we can. grades aint bad..he slipped a bit but comin back strong. hes a tough little trooper. 10 yrs old and acting like 20 already.
we got cows to work this weekend so we will really be missing moms input. ya know he has no buffer..right now its all me and I aint always exactly as nice as my wife was. :bang:

thank you for asking I am thankful for all the thoughts and prayers....

I'm sure it has been hard to find your "new normal." He sounds like a great kid and I hope he continues to heal.

skyhightree1":2jea0zpa said:
Jogeephus":2jea0zpa said:
skyhightree1":2jea0zpa said:
I do work for the builder so my money comes in 30-45 days... The residents ahhh... lets just say I have some liens on several houses and others get their tax refunds. I prefer dealing with the builder.

:lol2: :lol2: I thought you might say that. All that glitters isn't gold is it?!

Jo I had a call to give an estimate on a job and person signed contract and I hope I get paid :lol: This one below is the subdivision I gave the estimate the 2nd one below is another a few miles away that I have done some stuff.

IMG_20170301_151736159_zpslnwtnz3k.jpg

IMG_20170301_155144182_HDR_zpsb6idepi0.jpg

few houses in the high dollar subdivision

IMG_20170301_151827338_HDR_zpsgtzkzvai.jpg

IMG_20170301_151904543_HDR_zpsopokfboj.jpg

That's crazy. What I don't get is the average house has about 16,000 board foot of lumber in it. At $400/MBF that works out to $6,400 in lumber. Even if you double that for one of those larger homes how can you come up with $500,000? At those prices I think someone would do well to take a year off work and get some friends to help them build their own home rather than be strapped to a $4000/month mortgage.

Jogeephus":tocsdq5x said:
That's crazy. What I don't get is the average house has about 16,000 board foot of lumber in it. At $400/MBF that works out to $6,400 in lumber. Even if you double that for one of those larger homes how can you come up with $500,000? At those prices I think someone would do well to take a year off work and get some friends to help them build their own home rather than be strapped to a $4000/month mortgage.

I been doing business with a builder for years we are close and he has shown me his profits off these houses after everything is paid and let's just say I would build 4 houses a year and be way over average income.

The pricing of housing is similar to the stock market pricing. Those $500,000 homes aren't really worth it when you break them down into components nor is the pricing of many of the stocks. But these high homes and high stock prices are good for the government tax flow. The local gov't gets a big lick each year and the banks make a huge clip off the loans but at the end of the day its just smoke and mirrors and you best stay alert and use some common sense or you'll get burned.

cow pollinater":3ch37ws9 said:
My sister lives in Riverside CA. Her home is not all that fancy by area standards but cost over triple what mine did and mine is twice as big plus a shop, barn, and on sixteen acres. Her backyard is about the size of my front porch and anything over two feet wide has to go through the house to get to it because the only walkway is two feet wide. The one and only time I went to see her she had to get me a special parking permit so I could park a regular cab one ton in front of the house overnight without getting towed. I told her I loved her and was happy for her and would love to see her and even take the kids for a summer but she would have to meet me at a rest stop out in the desert to hand them off as I won't ever go back to her house. I never even knew I was claustrophobic until I spent the night there.

My youngest sister lives in Bothell which is the north side of Seattle. I haven't been to her house in years. I don't plan to go any time soon. Her liberal city raise husband complains about mowing the lawn. There would barely be enough room in their lawn to turn my mower around. I know you couldn't pay me enough to live there. I am not sure you could pay me to visit either.
The last time I drove up to that part of the world I had to go to a meeting for work. It is 90 miles each way. It took me three and a half hours to get there and four and a half to get back. It is now officially against my religion to go north of the county line. Going south through Portland isn't any better.

500k house and 20k-30k/yr in taxes!!

thats whats really insane.. how can they afford the taxes on top of that payment..

ddd75":3up48zk9 said:

thats whats really insane.. how can they afford the taxes on top of that payment..

My daughters school tax is right at 7K in what I consider a regular house with a couple acres.
I would faint if I got a tax bill like that.

Caustic Burno":cvpqxun8 said:
ddd75":cvpqxun8 said:

My daughters school tax is right at 7K in what I consider a regular house with a couple acres.
I would faint if I got a tax bill like that.

they're trying to put in a new levy for our schools that is INCOME BASED>

WHAT!?!??!

taxes/ins/hoa cuz they all got em...and we all know ya gotta have a new escalade and a nice beemer to live in a 500k home dontchaknow

dieselbeef":2hl2e0qz said:
taxes/ins/hoa cuz they all got em...and we all know ya gotta have a new escalade and a nice beemer to live in a 500k home dontchaknow

We all have taxes and insurance.
I know plenty of people on the gulf coast that are not in HOA or driving older vehicles paying outrageous taxes.
It is 20% cheaper to live a hundred miles off the coast here in taxes and insurance alone.
We don't own land we rent it from the government

Caustic Burno":3216igyr said:
dieselbeef":3216igyr said:

We all have taxes and insurance.
I know plenty of people on the gulf coast that are not in HOA or driving older vehicles paying outrageous taxes.
It is 20% cheaper to live a hundred miles off the coast here in taxes and insurance alone.
We don't own land we rent it from the government

The taxes are my biggest concern. They keep going up and I seem to get less services each year for them. But we do have four new mega-schools which already have trees and broom sedge growing in the gutters. But just try to drive through downtown without a seat belt and you'll find right fast how much the government cares about you and your well being.

CB just hit the nail square. We rent our land from the government, and that is just plain wrong

Some rents are high and some are low, but it is rent all the same.

HDRider":d4ye6jpu said:
CB just hit the nail square. We rent our land from the government, and that is just plain wrong

Some rents are high and some are low, but it is rent all the same.

That's so true and when the gov't appraisers adjust the books to say a $50,000 property is worth $200,000 your landlord raises your rent but when the SHTF and there is a correction everyone learns what the real value of their property and they understand what the term house of cards means.

ddd75":2kjod3q3 said:

Around here it would be about $6K school taxes always being the highest.

Had a 3 BR bungalow-style house in Chicagoland. 1.5 baths. Decent house but nothing fancy. Small yard, very busy street...Taxes were about a grand a month. BUT it paid for one of the best school districts in the country, and they even plowed the dang sidewalks with a little plow. Beautiful parks, and plenty of mass transit in walking distance, as was the beach. Some of the old timers really had trouble with the taxes if they hadn't put aside a big nest egg. Many families raise their kids then leave--no need to stay there if you aren't using the schools. I have a friend who still lives in the neighborhood and pays those taxes but sends her 3 kids to the local parochial school. Can't imagine their budget...As my father-in-law says, "You can't look in other people's pocketbooks." (Oh but can't you?! you sure can have fun discussing them behind their backs lol)