Whole corn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Having been taught most of what I know about cattle from my dad, I've always believed that whole corn goes "right through" the cow and that they don't absorb most of the nutrients in the corn - although I've read different views from studies lately.

This year is no different than any other. Each fall I start checking prices of various bulk feeds to plan winter needs, if any.

My local feed store offers a "stocker grower" , which is a pelletized mix that has a protein content of 12%. Trouble is that it's $245/ton this year. Whole/shelled corn, on the other hand, is $145/ton. This year I'm feeding about 10 calves out for butcher in January/February. My local feed store manager recommends using bovatec mixed with corn (to make the corn more digestible). I think he's just trying to sell more bovatec.

Any comments???

Anyone who has told you that whole corn goes right thru cattle is uneducated in the feeding of cattle. Bovatech and monensin are both terrific products and are worth every penny spent on them.

I'm too lazy to look it up again but this subject has been done to death on here.
If I remeber correctly ground corn is about 7% more digestible then cracked corn and cracked corn is about 7% more digestible then whole corn. Problem is ground corn tends to basicly slug their system and cause problems with acidocis (I think it's acidocis anyway). It's digested way too fast for their systems to handle unless it's diluted with something else.

A brief refresher.

The corn seed (kernel) is composed of four main parts: the
endosperm, the pericarp, the germ, and the tip cap. The endosperm is most of the dry weight of
the kernel. It is also the source of energy for the seed. The pericarp is the hard, outer coat that
protects the kernel both before and after planting. The germ is the living part of the corn kernel.
The germ contains genetic information, vitamins, and minerals that the kernel needs to grow. The
tip cap is where the kernel was attached to the cob.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CornA ... 5279_7.pdf

The reasons to grind, crack, roll, or process is to imitate or accelerate the chewing process which would also do the same thing. Why? The pericarp, the outer coat that protects the kernel does it's job well. Without cracking this shell you don't gain access to the nutrients of the kernel. For what it is worth, this is why soaking whole corn for hogs is important. It softens the protective coating.

I'm not going to knock the claim that bovatec enhances the animals use of feed suffs. But I'm not so sure of the claim that it helps break the protective coating of whole grains. Can't find any information to that effect either, course I didn't look very long. Betcha Texas Bred will have some insight to this.

dun":1pidxi0g said:
I'm too lazy to look it up again but this subject has been done to death on here.
If I remeber correctly ground corn is about 7% more digestible then cracked corn and cracked corn is about 7% more digestible then whole corn. Problem is ground corn tends to basicly slug their system and cause problems with acidocis (I think it's acidocis anyway). It's digested way too fast for their systems to handle unless it's diluted with something else.

I've read the 7% factor as well, but have also read that the whole kernel goes through their system slower, so reduces the risk of acidosis. For $100/ton less than the next alternative available locally to me, it seems the way to go. The bovatec added in would greatly reduce the cost benefit, so I'm weighing options...

1982vett":zmiurdzs said:
dun":zmiurdzs said:
Hogs not being ruminents is a whole differnt deal.
Different mechanics yes but essentially the same goal. Turning corn into manure. :p

It's the mechanics that allow the digestion. The cow grinding it allows it to be digested. In a pigs gut it has to be digested by gastric juices since the partical size isn;t reduced by rumination.

My local feed store offers a "stocker grower" , which is a pelletized mix that has a protein content of 12%. Trouble is that it's $245/ton this year. Whole/shelled corn, on the other hand, is $145/ton.

I don't know if it matters in your situation but whole/shelled corn has a protein content of 10%.

options":1wb59f4r said:
Anyone who has told you that whole corn goes right thru cattle is uneducated in the feeding of cattle. Bovatech and monensin are both terrific products and are worth every penny spent on them.

I resemble that remark suh :lol2: Yes there are many studies that have been done on feeding corn. In theory corn in whole, cracked, ground or flaked should be the same....The big determining factor is how thoroughly your calves chew the corn and how often and how thoroughly do they ruminate. IF they break the outer coat, yes they will get all the nutrients out of the corn. It may still look like corn but in appearance only. Studies also show that calves are more thorough in breaking and chewing whole corn that mature cows. Like some other feed ingredient like whole cottonseed etc. you will always have some pass thru. If the difference in the cost of the whole corn -vs- chopped or ground corn is great enough then by all means feed it.

Bovatec and Rumensin are great ingredients, Bovatec being more foregiving if you make mixing errors, etc. but day in and day out both are worth the cost which should be around $6 per pound of either. I would add a small amount of some readily available high quality protein source in order to raise the protein up to 10-11% and watch'em grow.

I do not know if you have a feed mill around you that could mix this or not but I had some nutrition analysis done and this is the feed formulation that we came up with to feed em out. It comes out to around 189 dollars a ton and really puts some tender meat in em and puts the weight on em.

71% corn gluten
15% cracked corn
12% ground corn
2% cane molasses

TexasBred":3w1u4zzo said:
I would add a small amount of some readily available high quality protein source in order to raise the protein up to 10-11% and watch'em grow.

I have access to a large quantity of molasses from work. Bulk molasses in liquid container "totes". I poured about 15 or 20 gallons in a feed trough a week or so ago, and you'd swear that the cows were eating gumbo - they licked up every drop. I may find a way to incorporate the molasses with the corn. Still thinking on this one.

cypressfarms":2bxpfy7l said:
TexasBred":2bxpfy7l said:
I would add a small amount of some readily available high quality protein source in order to raise the protein up to 10-11% and watch'em grow.

I have access to a large quantity of molasses from work. Bulk molasses in liquid container "totes". I poured about 15 or 20 gallons in a feed trough a week or so ago, and you'd swear that the cows were eating gumbo - they licked up every drop. I may find a way to incorporate the molasses with the corn. Still thinking on this one.

Cypress...."Think Buscuits".. :lol2: :lol2:

I'm not going to knock the claim that bovatec enhances the animals use of feed suffs. But I'm not so sure of the claim that it helps break the protective coating of whole grains. Can't find any information to that effect either, course I didn't look very long. Betcha Texas Bred will have some insight to this.

Bovatec or Rumensin make no claims about the coating on whole grains, however, once that coating is broken they definitely increase it's digestibility along with everything else the animal eats. (Increased feed utilization). Rumensin (Monensin) can be added to a dairy ration with no other changes made to the ration and you'll get a very nice bump in milk production. Same for "meat production" in cattle. Both ingredients make an average feed better and a good feed very good.

TexasBred":gbdaxndb said:

Bovatec or Rumensin make no claims about the coating on whole grains, however, once that coating is broken they definitely increase it's digestibility along with everything else the animal eats. (Increased feed utilization). Rumensin (Monensin) can be added to a dairy ration with no other changes made to the ration and you'll get a very nice bump in milk production. Same for "meat production" in cattle. Both ingredients make an average feed better and a good feed very good.

I read somewhere that bovatec was not safe for breeding age animals. Is this correct?

cypressfarms":zq4cs0n4 said:
TexasBred":zq4cs0n4 said:

I roll all the grain I feed to my heifers. I usually do a blend of barley and corn. The molasses gets dribbled on the grain as it leaves the roller mill. Makes an EXCELLENT feed. Calves eat it like candy.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":b98y6eeq said:
TexasBred":b98y6eeq said:

I read somewhere that bovatec was not safe for breeding age animals. Is this correct?

The only warning on the label of feeds containing Bovatec is to not make it available to Horses as it has caused fatalities. Breeding animals might become overconditioned if fed a grain mix that included Bovatec.