Whole corn while on pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

Billythekid

Reaction score
My old mix was rolled corn, bean meal, molasses, mineral for a 13% protein level.
I want to switch to whole corn to cut my mill expense. Can I keep everything else the same. Or is there a better mix for the shelled corn? Thanks for any info.

I use whole corn to improve body condition in the last tri-mester. Will feed in bunks if they are in that area otherwise in little piles on the ground.
This is no attempt to introduce bad habits. Do what works for you............

I am currently feeding some shelled corn, feeding it along with a mix of cracked corn, soy hulls, and corn gluten.

whether rolled or whole, the nutritional value should be the same. the shelled corn may be harder to blend with other ingredients and easier for the cows to eat the molasses before the corn but if they have sufficient bunk space, you should be good.

I'm contemplating the exact same thing. I am putting up a 200 bu feed bin this summer for WSC. Was going to supplement that with Purina Steak Maker (what my mill sells). I read a great article a few years back from OSU about feeding WSC. I believe they concluded there was no difference in feeding WSC vs cracked if taking animals all the way to fat weight. If I remember correctly, the cracked or rolled corn was more digestible to younger cattle. I wish I could find it but there's a lot of good articles and case studies on the web

I'm contemplating the exact same thing. I am putting up a 200 bu feed bin this summer for WSC. Was going to supplement that with Purina Steak Maker (what my mill sells). I read a great article a few years back from OSU about feeding WSC. I believe they concluded there was no difference in feeding WSC vs cracked if taking animals all the way to fat weight. If I remember correctly, the cracked or rolled corn was more digestible to younger cattle. I wish I could find it but there's a lot of good articles and case studies on the web
@Jeanne - Simme Valley convinced me a couple of years ago to go to straight WSC for finishing. I have been pleased.

Your WELCOME.
My husband was a feed nutritionist at one point. there has been tons of research comparing WSC, cracked, flaked, rolled, etc. At most, there is an 8% more feed efficient if the corn is at least cracked - but it will generally cost you over the 8% in price.
Most on here know, I show cattle fairly successfully. I feed WSC to my show string, along with added protein & supplements. I feed WSC to my steers that I finish out for freezer trade. This summer, I actually purchased a 6T grain bin for my WSC.
Dairy cows are about the only situation where the 8% efficiency would pay off, because their nutrition requirements are so high and they simply can't eat enough.

I've been feeding shelled corn to some calves I've weaned and am trying to background a little. They've really grown wish I had a starting weight on them. I think moving forward, it's all I'll feed. It's just so simple and cheap compared to mixing here or buying a ration from the mill. Were feeding about 250 pounds twice a day. When the 60 days is up, I'll only save $7-800, but the time we're saving and the wear and rear were avoiding has to be worth something

I've been feeding shelled corn to some calves I've weaned and am trying to background a little. They've really grown wish I had a starting weight on them. I think moving forward, it's all I'll feed. It's just so simple and cheap compared to mixing here or buying a ration from the mill. Were feeding about 250 pounds twice a day. When the 60 days is up, I'll only save $7-800, but the time we're saving and the wear and rear were avoiding has to be worth something
Same here, but I'm feeding 5# per head once a day to go with high moisture clover/grass mix hay and free choice mineral. Calves are doing great, no feed bills to pay since I have corn in the bin. Probably going to be my system on weaned calves from here out.

I feed 5# WSC + baleage to my replacements from weaning to breeding. Increase to about 6# month before breeding. Keeps them growing great without getting fat.
11% for finishing is about right for maybe 850# to 1100# - after that 9% will do. Mostly depends on your cattle. If mine start backing off on a low Protein, I will add some protein. Also depends on the quality of hay. Good hay may only need the 9% WSC. I usually can get away with no added protein, but on "most" years my baleage will test 16%.

I feed 5# WSC + baleage to my replacements from weaning to breeding. Increase to about 6# month before breeding. Keeps them growing great without getting fat.
Sounds like a growthy ration. What is your targeted ADG?

I am feeding grass cattle 3-4# of a home raised oats mix with baleage. Calves are doing noticeably better than on dry hay in the past.

I think I'm getting lost on terminology. WSC? You mean Wet Shell Corn? Is that the same as high moisture corn?

How do you get it from the bin to the steers?
In the last four years I have made major changes for my own feeder cattle. I started with a dirt lot, wooden bunks and 5 gallon buckets. One muddy winter of carrying 15 buckets a day and my knees said NO WAY. 2nd winter I rented a concrete yard, still wood bunks, and buckets. 3rd yr, concrete bunks and Schuler wagon. Present time , I have an Auggie TMR wagon, measure buckets into the loader bucket, dump that into the TMR with corn silage and away I go.

A feed lot I consult for fed 1000's of cattle over the years with an auger wagon and wooden self feeders.

Latest posts