Whole Bunch of Red Calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
You've been warned :D ;-)

These boys are about 2 weeks away from sale day.....

#17 Off of a 2 year old heifer
tn_DSC06485.jpg

tn_DSC06498.jpg

tn_DSC06500.jpg

tn_DSC06514.jpg

tn_DSC06515.jpg

tn_DSC06524.jpg

tn_DSC06527.jpg

#20 another 2 year old's calf
tn_DSC06528.jpg

#22 a good looking, but not so good heifer calf.
tn_DSC06545.jpg

#78 She's a good old cow. Looks like crap, but raises a great calf every year....
tn_DSC06549.jpg

tn_DSC06550.jpg

Nice calves...and cows...randi. #32 looks like one of the best out of all them you showed...

Nice bunch of calves. It's a lot easier to tolerate a rough looking cow when she consistently produces good calves :nod:

IluvABbeef":mknzs29l said:
Nice calves...and cows...randi. #32 looks like one of the best out of all them you showed...

Thanks, Karin, they are pretty good I think. #32 is a pretty good cow, wouldn't say that it is the best calf there, certainly not the heaviest, but it is just her second go around. He is pretty good.

Thanks, bigbull and onegicop.

TNMBP, good red calves sell as good or higher here than the black calves do. You can have your black herd, I like a little variety......

TNMasterBeefProducer":3vz9wuz1 said:
Well they are red and they are commercial. Maybe good calves for your area. Not here. Would not sell worth a crap as red hided gets docked something fierce.

I have heard this. Why do black sell better in this area?

Personally, good meat is good meat and I don't care what color the hide is.

randiliana":3eu4p9vh said:
Thanks, bigbull and onegicop.

TNMBP, good red calves sell as good or higher here than the black calves do. You can have your black herd, I like a little variety......

That is exactly why I have a variety also... but as TNMBP said, around these parts; black hided, conditioned 650lb steers sell the best. At least that is the way it has been for quite a while; it could change, but I doubt it.

Randi... those are some good lookin calves. I like that hereford best though.

Irishred":1vofjwm2 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":1vofjwm2 said:
Well they are red and they are commercial. Maybe good calves for your area. Not here. Would not sell worth a crap as red hided gets docked something fierce.

Its just the current trend. Im speaking from what i know at the kansas sale barns but blacks baldies sell best followed closely by blacks. It use to be herefords selled the best because that is what people wanted. It probably has something to do with the angus craze. As for not selling "worth a crap" that defenetly isnt true here. Those calves look great and you should do well on them if you sell them at the right time.

CattleHand":3m8fiowx said:
Irishred":3m8fiowx said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3m8fiowx said:

Its just the current trend. Im speaking from what i know at the kansas sale barns but blacks baldies sell best followed closely by blacks. It use to be herefords selled the best because that is what people wanted. It probably has something to do with the angus craze. As for not selling "worth a crap" that defenetly isnt true here. Those calves look great and you should do well on them if you sell them at the right time.
Key words there... "at the right time"

Thanks everyone, they are good calves.

Selling at the right time is the hard part this year.

Here, the black calves do tend to sell a bit higher than the red calves, but if you have good quality calves it really isn't that big of a difference. If you have the right name, it doesn't seem to matter what color your calves are either, they will usually sell a bit higher too.

My goal is to raise the right kind of calves, and right now that seems to be 600+ lb calves. Red or black, they all sell about the same.

Latest posts