Who would use this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":2vz7dsm3 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":2vz7dsm3 said:
....who said this bull is for the show ring? The semen company. They will also say that certain bulls are calving ease,
when their use in herds clearly says they are not.
Miss Information.... Select Sires does not calculate or control the EPD breed information.

Back to original question.... IF not for the Show Ring.... then what is the purpose?
Why choose to use either Double Black or First-N-Goal instead of any of the 60+ black angus bulls Select has available?

Select owns neither bull and the use for Show Ring comments come from the bull owners that formed the syndicate
to market them.
How do you know that's where the comment came from?

And no, SS does not control the EPDs. I never said they did. I am not arguing the bull in question is far from balanced EPD wise, I am pointing out that the other matter of contention most have with this bull (his phenotype and "show appeal") is completely subjective.

There are tons of bulls out there in those glossy AI catalogs that have no business being used in commercial herds or seedstock/ show ring herds. That doesn't stop them from being syndicated and collected..... They are simply attempting to profit from the fact that there is a sucker born every second!

Good comments, all. I'm a relative newbie so I'm genuinely trying to understand the different markets and whether I was missing something really great in the EPDs for that bull. I have to assume someone is buying him; perhaps Smallpotatoes is right as to the application.
Boot Jack, it sounds like that's not a bull you'd recommend as a sire for the show ring? How much focus do show ring folks put on EPDs--perhaps it varies a lot?

Boot Jack Bulls":1sv7oiek said:
the contention most have with this bull (his phenotype and "show appeal") is completely subjective.
Exactly the problem with the Show Ring, it is all completely subjective and thus accomplishes nothing.

The only shows of value are the carcass contests, a great learning experience and educational tool.
Carcass contests provide the opportunity to test your subjective opinion of a live animal vs actual measured results.

edited to add:
There is no epd for hair. :)

Boondocks, I think you're right. The amount people look at epds varies. It also varies breed to breed. For instance, it's hard to find a Shorthorn bull with decent epds to use AI. To the point it's frustrating. I can't promise, but I think at the Angus jr nationals they look at a calves epds. At least I'm convinced they were mentioned in a judge's reasons. Just caught a little bit of it online, but it stuck out to me and I think it's a great thing. I could be wrong though.

Latest posts