Who was it that said....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
a cow is born looking for a way to die

These are wise words and were once again proven to be true today by the stupidest cow in the world. Dummy, decided to mess around with a one way swing gate I have in a board fence. She made it into the hay area which has plenty of food in it but no water. With the heat index being somewhere around 105 or maybe 180 she could not get out and was hidden from sight by the bales of hay. I happened to find her today. She was a mess. I gave her around 5 gallons of water and hosed her down good. She actually seemed to enjoy the shower and I gotta say its the first time I ever laid hands on this floppity-eared cow without her trying to do me in. Maybe she understands that I'm not a threat to her now. But then again, she is the stuppidest cow in the world and her lesson will be forgotten by tomorrow I'm sure.

Glad you got to her in time. You know? She would do it all over again tomorrow, given the chance.

I had a pen of 250lb holstein steers. I have a Ritchie waterer close to a cement wall. Everyday the same stupid calf would get his head stuck between the waterer and the cement wall. Then one day I noticed a sprig of grass growing where the floor meets the wall, I pulled that out and it was the last of the trouble :dunce: .

Larry

That's the theory the wife and I have about sheep. There were 3 hippies working in a garden next door this afternoon when I was bushhogging. They flagged me down to see if I'd be interested in their "hay" (cleaning up 10 acres of broomsage), No thanks. The younger woman of the group, about my age, brought up how much she liked sheep. She gave me a weird look when I told her I had no use for range maggots. Then she reached down to pick something up, looked like she had Don King in a headlock.

Jogeephus":18d6bpzf said:
Angus Cowman":18d6bpzf said:
read my sig line Jo

:oops: You should use such fine print with such wise words. :lol2: (ok, i'll start wearing my glasses)
Heck Jo if I don't have my glasses on I can't find my tractor even if it is in the shop well actually I can't see the shop either

cfpinz said:
That's the theory the wife and I have about sheep. There were 3 hippies working in a garden next door this afternoon when I was bushhogging. They flagged me down to see if I'd be interested in their "hay" (cleaning up 10 acres of broomsage), No thanks. The younger woman of the group, about my age, brought up how much she liked sheep. She gave me a weird look when I told her I had no use for range maggots. Then she reached down to pick something up, looked like she had Don King in a headlock.[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Sounds like my Swiss Chard people.

Jogeephus":ve6l4ayg said:

These are wise words and were once again proven to be true today by the stupidest cow in the world. Dummy, decided to mess around with a one way swing gate I have in a board fence. She made it into the hay area which has plenty of food in it but no water. With the heat index being somewhere around 105 or maybe 180 she could not get out and was hidden from sight by the bales of hay. I happened to find her today. She was a mess. I gave her around 5 gallons of water and hosed her down good. She actually seemed to enjoy the shower and I gotta say its the first time I ever laid hands on this floppity-eared cow without her trying to do me in. Maybe she understands that I'm not a threat to her now. But then again, she is the stuppidest cow in the world and her lesson will be forgotten by tomorrow I'm sure.

I discovered that my insane Brangus heifer has grown to like cucumbers and has started to let me hand feed her every day at the fenceline. I would like to note that there is a very sturdy fence between us... But it's progress I guess. She walks up to me and waits to see if I have any spare produce. She likes watermelon rinds, too.

Lammie":3o14perv said:
Jogeephus":3o14perv said:

I discovered that my insane Brangus heifer has grown to like cucumbers and has started to let me hand feed her every day at the fenceline. I would like to note that there is a very sturdy fence between us... But it's progress I guess. She walks up to me and waits to see if I have any spare produce. She likes watermelon rinds, too.

Wasn't that heifer supposed to be on the road a long time ago?
I think the beef should bring a premium price if you hand feed her cucumbers.
Maybe some watermelon rinds in the trailer would get her loaded?

john250":k8bbsdtj said:
Wasn't that heifer supposed to be on the road a long time ago?

Speaking for myself, I have a few that I threaten to haul off each year cause they are nuts. Psycopaths actually. But then they have their calves and I just can't bring myself to get rid of such a good mother. If they were only gentler then they would be the perfect brood cow. JMO

Yes she was supposed to have been hamburger by now. With a husband who is only home on the weekends, it's hard to get everything done and still load the stupid thing. Even if I can just get her moved to a different location it would be good since it is very dry and the pasture behind the house is looking poor. Gotta do something with her, though. I can't load her alone. The problem is that since I'm the only human that messes with her, she will only deal with me.

It's in the works. :roll:

Lammie":19ypnxut said:
Yes she was supposed to have been hamburger by now. With a husband who is only home on the weekends, it's hard to get everything done and still load the stupid thing. Even if I can just get her moved to a different location it would be good since it is very dry and the pasture behind the house is looking poor. Gotta do something with her, though. I can't load her alone. The problem is that since I'm the only human that messes with her, she will only deal with me.

I hope she's doesn't have any of that Pegasus bloodline in her cause if so she may never see the inside of a trailer. ;-)

Jogeephus":17qxjgfs said:
Lammie":17qxjgfs said:

I hope she's doesn't have any of that Pegasus bloodline in her cause if so she may never see the inside of a trailer. ;-)

I was just out there with some cukes. I'm pretty sure she swallowed my entire hand... I was very slimey. :shock:

Sounds like you are going to win the battle. Get her tamed down to the point where you can confine her, get her in the trailer, secure the door and she's gone. Make sure you give the victory war hoop! Let us know :nod: We're cheering for You. :clap:

mnmtranching":2n9c1kq3 said:
Sounds like you are going to win the battle. Get her tamed down to the point where you can confine her, get her in the trailer, secure the door and she's gone. Make sure you give the victory war hoop! Let us know :nod: We're cheering for You. :clap:
Once you get her "broke", what's the point of getting rid of her? :idea: :lol: By then it will be like selling a pet.

1982vett":239flgcu said:
mnmtranching":239flgcu said:
Once you get her "broke", what's the point of getting rid of her? :idea: :lol: By then it will be like selling a pet.

We thought about breeding her, but then we will have monster mama. She's never gonna be that "happy cow".

Latest posts