who uses Sulfur Salt Block?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1s6pa4w7 said:
To me a salt in a block is a waste of time and money. I put out loose salt (white). ;-)

I agree with TB. my dad was big on salt blocks, but I dont use em. I use the minerals now.

I use salt blocks when I have a couple animals in a pen, the herd gets 70% loose salt, and 30% a good mineral mix. Got better results with it.

I hear sulfur blocks are good for fly control. Never used them, my friend said he'll give me one to try sometime.

Some of the old timers around here use them for "horse flys". If they do any good they must have a really horrible horsefly problem cause they're cows are half covered with them even with the sulphur blocks.

dun":1ud4g7j0 said:
Some of the old timers around here use them for "horse flys". If they do any good they must have a really horrible horsefly problem cause they're cows are half covered with them even with the sulphur blocks.
I'e also heard old timers say they keep ticks off. Just have to take their word for that .

Back in January I saw a guy purchase a whole pallet of the yellow sulfur blocks. Never seen anybody buy one before so I asked him why. He said it helps the hooves. I think he special ordered them.

JWBrahman":24pnhrxe said:
Back in January I saw a guy purchase a whole pallet of the yellow sulfur blocks. Never seen anybody buy one before so I asked him why. He said it helps the hooves. I think he special ordered them.
I think he wasted his money. He should have bought the Iodine blocks. they will help with foot rot over time.

TexasBred":1feigr5f said:
dun":1feigr5f said:
I'e also heard old timers say they keep ticks off. Just have to take their word for that .
Yes, way back, sulphur used to be the magic "cure-all/prevent-all" for everything from mites, flys, ticks, grubs, and pinkeye.
I think swinging the proverbial dead cat around your head 3 times will do the same thing.

Nesikep":1no9k5fs said:
There's gotta be some official research out there somewhere
Well it's a proven fact that cattle do need a certain amount of sulfur but they can usually get this through their diet and a good mineral and consumption of these blocks is so low they get very little sulfur anyway. My own opinion is to feed straight white salt as most grasses contain only minute amounts of sodium.

Latest posts