who pays geographic location of ai bulls.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone pay any attention to the geographic location or climate their AI sires are raised in? How about herd management of the sire orginating herd?

pat

We use bulls from either northern (to our location) or those that are in our climatilogic area. The ranches we use semen from are all either range or semi-range conditions. We don't use any show bulls. Since we are getting so much hair on the calves I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't start using southern bulls. We'll know better when we see how last springs calves finally shed out in the spring.

dun

> Does anyone pay any attention to
> the geographic location or climate
> their AI sires are raised in? How
> about herd management of the sire
> orginating herd?

> pat

We have used bulls from all areas of US and management regimes. The bulls that come from low imput herds seem to due better for us. Bulls that have a long list of past show winnings never seem to keep daughter in our herd. We need cattle that can stand cold weather here in Maine. You can never have too much hair on the cattle when the daily high is below zero before windchill factor.

pat

> We use bulls from either northern
> (to our location) or those that
> are in our climatilogic area. The
> ranches we use semen from are all
> either range or semi-range
> conditions. We don't use any show
> bulls. Since we are getting so
> much hair on the calves I'm
> beginning to wonder if we
> shouldn't start using southern
> bulls. We'll know better when we
> see how last springs calves
> finally shed out in the spring.

> dun

I agree, for your climate those bulls from Montana and Wyoming would be great. In this area, except during strange infrequent periods it gets above freezing everyday. That's one of the reasons I like a little more fat on my cows backs, to make up for the shorter hair.

dun

> We have used bulls from all areas
> of US and management regimes. The
> bulls that come from low imput
> herds seem to due better for us.
> Bulls that have a long list of
> past show winnings never seem to
> keep daughter in our herd. We need
> cattle that can stand cold weather
> here in Maine. You can never have
> too much hair on the cattle when
> the daily high is below zero
> before windchill factor.

> pat

That's part of the reason I like to see the cow herd before buying heifers. I want to see them with their working clothes on (aprons?) to get a feel for their real abilities. We used show bulls years ago, but the heifers were kind of like a gold toothpick, pretty as hell but sure didn't do the job.

dun

> I agree, for your climate those
> bulls from Montana and Wyoming
> would be great. In this area,
> except during strange infrequent
> periods it gets above freezing
> everyday. That's one of the
> reasons I like a little more fat
> on my cows backs, to make up for
> the shorter hair.

> dun

Latest posts