Who makes the best AR 15?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1bv95rzu said:
Brute 23":1bv95rzu said:
My advice is to not get hung up on the subsonic rounds and all that 300 Blk out stuff. The reality is subsonic rounds are quiet because they are slow. Less knock down. A suppressor will also slow the bullet down. On top of an already slow round. When you shoot hogs they will run not matter how quiet you think you are... once they have been shot at. Get some thing with good knock down both short and med range.

I agree with everything except this statement. This depends on the construction of the suppressor. True, if you are using a suppressor with felt or rubber baffles that actually touch the bullet but a good quality suppressor will not do this. At most, it might change the harmonics of the barrel and by extending the barrel length its more apt to increase the velocity a tiny bit but it will not change the zero on a rifle to any noticeable extent.

Keep in mind the bullet is in front of the gases and its no different than putting a muzzle break on your rifle except you are capturing the gasses for a split second.

A moderated subsonic .308 is very effective to 200 yards but like you say, the load velocity is slower and the energy is reduced but its still packing some punch. With the reduced recoil, reduced sound, you are able to keep your target in your glass which makes for some enjoyable shooting and with the sounds being inverted from what you are used to makes things very interesting.

Your right. Any time I have actually seen people crono their bullets with a suppressor it was lower. There may be other factors in that.

Im a little pessimistic about a lot of these subsonic rounds and calibers. Its just not necessary. If you have the money and just want it... great... do it. I have my fair share of toys I wanted. You don't need a big budget to kill hogs. I killed lots of hogs with a Remington 700 .243 ($450), with a Leupold scope ($350), $20 spotlight, $20 Remington Core Lokts. I have around $5000 tied up in one gun for killing hogs right now and my numbers are only slightly higher... but it is fun. :)

I have always thought a Marlin .45-70 with a sub-sonic 500 gr bullet, suppressor, and night vision scope would be the perfect hog rifle, but hunting at night for hogs is not legal here, so it would have to be extra quiet. ;-)

Just an article I found. Make your own decision

1) Colt: Made stuff according to the "mil spec." The barrels tended to be 1/7 twist, the parts went through the same QC as the military rifles and they cost a lot more than everyone else.

2) Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic and Armalite/Eagle Arms independently came up with their own spec, now regarded as "civilian spec." They primarily used 1/9 twist which was superior for the bullet selection of the time. They used slightly different specs on parts like buffer tubes. They did not necessarily proof test every single rifle.

3) Little guys making specialized stuff. Think NRA high power, 3-gun and other specialized AR15 rifles.

Now there are hundreds of companies, offering everything under the sun. I can think of five companies off the top of my head that build rifles in the Colt military style. And numerous others that build them in the old civilian spec style.

Now is Colt better? Probably not at this point, but they are also priced competitively with the others making similar stuff. This was not always true. Because of this, I'd probably get the Colt, since it is the name brand, I like prancing ponies and since gun owners tend to almost always be behind the times, has better resale value among your average non-AR15 enthusiast.

hillbilly beef man":1kfj3j0a said:
I have always thought a Marlin .45-70 with a sub-sonic 500 gr bullet, suppressor, and night vision scope would be the perfect hog rifle, but hunting at night for hogs is not legal here, so it would have to be extra quiet. ;-)
:lol2: not gonna turn one into an AR, but they are a mighty fine hog gun.

The great thing about the AR is if you catch hogs in the open where you can get multiple shots off. Like any semi auto you never have to take the target out of the line of site. If your just shooting down scendaros or in a limited field of view it does no good.

Take a look at these
http://www.alexanderarms.com - Welcome to Alexander Arms®, designers of and home to the original big-bore AR-15 .50 Beowulf®, the superior 6.5 Grendel, and the only AR-15 .17 HMR in the world! These are produced in Radford, Virginia.
I bought a 6.5 grendel before I deployed but haven't shot it yet. Looks like it can do the job on long shots on some game. check out the 6.5 Grendel AR15 wasting goats in the head you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz3i5yqybw

TexasBred":vqxh7q4z said:

1) Colt: Made stuff according to the "mil spec." The barrels tended to be 1/7 twist, the parts went through the same QC as the military rifles and they cost a lot more than everyone else.

2) Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic and Armalite/Eagle Arms independently came up with their own spec, now regarded as "civilian spec." They primarily used 1/9 twist which was superior for the bullet selection of the time. They used slightly different specs on parts like buffer tubes. They did not necessarily proof test every single rifle.

3) Little guys making specialized stuff. Think NRA high power, 3-gun and other specialized AR15 rifles.

Now there are hundreds of companies, offering everything under the sun. I can think of five companies off the top of my head that build rifles in the Colt military style. And numerous others that build them in the old civilian spec style.

Now is Colt better? Probably not at this point, but they are also priced competitively with the others making similar stuff. This was not always true. Because of this, I'd probably get the Colt, since it is the name brand, I like prancing ponies and since gun owners tend to almost always be behind the times, has better resale value among your average non-AR15 enthusiast.

That's really questionable. I don't see how some one can put Bushmaster and DPMS above Rock River, ARPerformance, Larue, Bison, ect.

I am a colt fan. I use one in 7.62 x 39 for hogs at the farm. It is the cheapest ammo going right now and has been since the early eighties. It has a shorter range than my .223 but a lot more knock down. There are other good ar platforms but not for me. It is like people who drive a Kia or Yugo say it does the same as a gm or ford product. If you want a fun rifle that is cheap and well made , you cannot beat a Sks. East German, Russian or Chinese. There are Sks's in .223 also but hard to find now.

Brute 23":27xz9emd said:
TexasBred":27xz9emd said:

That's really questionable. I don't see how some one can put Bushmaster and DPMS above Rock River, ARPerformance, Larue, Bison, ect.
The article doesn't rate them.

Serious question. I am planning to get an AR 15 and don't know a lot about them.
I have looked at and handled the carbon fiber gun and I like it because of the lighter weight.

I wonder how they do as far as accuracy an durability.
I have had salesmen tell me they are the best. Others say get a carbon fiber upper but not the lower. Other salesmen say the opposite, I think.

Would appreciate any comments from any of you that know what's what.

Brute 23":3s2k1zlq said:
There is a HUGE forum cattle AR15.com They can answer... you can search and find out any thing and every thing related to ARs.
And probably like here that there are as many opions as their are posters.

Latest posts