Who has a quick, easy foolproof deer patty sausage recipe?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a fresh deer shoulder I want to turn into breakfast sausage to freeze for later in the year. Anyone got an easy recipe I can't mess up? Patty please--I don't have casings or a casing stuffer for my grinder.
(I have some fat pork to mix with it)

We use leggs seasoning. 10% pork fat . I bottle of seasoning does 25lb youshould be able to buy it at a mom and pop grocery store that has a meat dept. Grind fat and deer 1 time mix everything together and grind 2nd time. Get you some newspaper plastic bags and catch it in the bags tie them off put in the freezer for about a hour and then slice the patties off. Package and freeze.

For 10 pounds - Trim all the sinew and silver skin and tallow fat off the venision as this will cause it to go rancid quicker in the freezer. Add either 30% pure pork fat to the meat or use equal parts venision to botson butt leaning heavy toward getting as much fat from the butt as possible

Breakfast sausage

2 teaspoons dried parsley
4 teaspoons rubbed sage
4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Maple Sugar, brown or turbinado sugar
*2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
*1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
*1 tablespoon salt
*1-½ teaspoons coarse ground pepper
**1-1/2 teaspoons Ampesphos

Get meat icey cold - stiff but not frozen.
Trim meat from fat and cube so it fits through your grinder chill again. Weigh fat and adjust fat so you have at least 30% fat.
Grind meat and fat through a 1/8th inch plate separately. Then mix together.
Mix in spices and grind again.
Stuff into small casings or roll into 2 inch meatballs and flatten into patties

* if you don't want it a little hot reduce these ingredients by about half.

** AMESPHOS helps prevent sausage from tasting dry and help as a binding agent. If you don't have AMESPHOS use 2 teaspoons of dry milk and 1/4 teaspoon of MSG instead.

This should yield you a nice moist and flavorfull sausage that is not dry and crumbly.

If you like Italian sausage for spaghetti and stuff you may like this

10 lbs again same meat ratios.

3 tablespoons Kosher or Sea Salt
2 tablespoons Black Pepper, coarsely ground
4 cloves Garlic finely minced
5 tablespoons Fennel seed
5 tablespoons Anise
1 tablespoon Paprika
2 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Corn Sugar
2 teaspoons Citric Acid

[
(I have some fat pork to mix with it)[/quote]
A sausage maker in South Texas once told me" the best deer sausage is pork." I don't think a 90/10 mix is enough pork.

I agree. At least its not with our deer. That will yield a very dry crumbly patty when cooked. The 30% fat ratio - IMO - is still a bit on the low side. Best is to add pound for pound a 50/50 trimmings to the venison but adding the dry milk or amesphos will help on the lower fat concentrations.

Jogeephus":2red3ief said:
For 10 pounds - Trim all the sinew and silver skin and tallow fat off the venision as this will cause it to go rancid quicker in the freezer. Add either 30% pure pork fat to the meat or use equal parts venision to botson butt leaning heavy toward getting as much fat from the butt as possible

Breakfast sausage

2 teaspoons dried parsley
4 teaspoons rubbed sage
4 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Maple Sugar, brown or turbinado sugar
*2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
*1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
*1 tablespoon salt
*1-½ teaspoons coarse ground pepper
**1-1/2 teaspoons Ampesphos

Get meat icey cold - stiff but not frozen.
Trim meat from fat and cube so it fits through your grinder chill again. Weigh fat and adjust fat so you have at least 30% fat.
Grind meat and fat through a 1/8th inch plate separately. Then mix together.
Mix in spices and grind again.
Stuff into small casings or roll into 2 inch meatballs and flatten into patties

* if you don't want it a little hot reduce these ingredients by about half.

** AMESPHOS helps prevent sausage from tasting dry and help as a binding agent. If you don't have AMESPHOS use 2 teaspoons of dry milk and 1/4 teaspoon of MSG instead.

This should yield you a nice moist and flavorfull sausage that is not dry and crumbly.

If you like Italian sausage for spaghetti and stuff you may like this

10 lbs again same meat ratios.

3 tablespoons Kosher or Sea Salt
2 tablespoons Black Pepper, coarsely ground
4 cloves Garlic finely minced
5 tablespoons Fennel seed
5 tablespoons Anise
1 tablespoon Paprika
2 tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Corn Sugar
2 teaspoons Citric Acid

Very good Italian recipe.the only thing i would recomend is to run the fennel seed thru a crinder instead of adding it whole

Jogeephus":6y18ti3r said:
You purist you! :lol2: :lol2:

I'll try that next time Vic. Thanks.

Not a purist just hate those seeds stuck in my teeth and they do not agree with my diverticulitis!. It also distributes the flavor better. BTW If i have a choice i will add a fair amount of red wine to the Sausage also!

Appreciate the answers--A family emergency came up in the family and I had to run out of town late Friday night, so I ended up cutting the venison off the bone in large chunks rather quickly and putting it in the freezer--didn't know how long I would be gone.
Can I now thaw it out and make sausage with it--then refreeze it?

No problem freezing it. Just remember the tallow and sinew doesn't freeze well but you'll have plenty of time before you need to worry about that.

30-50% pork is fine , my recipe is ; 20 lbs meat 1/3 lb salt , 1/4 lb ground corrinder , 1/4 lb brown sugar , 1 1/2 tblsp black pepper. It freezes well for us. I always like to put the seasoning on the meat before I grind it so it helps to mix it in the grinder , then mix it good after it's ground.

I like to add pork. I by pork butts and add it in about a 50 50 mixture with the deer and use Mortons sausage seasoning. Season to taste. Works well, tastes good, and freezes good.

Latest posts