Who has a game camera?

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Ok fella's I need some schoolin' on game cam's. Lovely wife finally thinks it's a good idea since we could use it for "CSI" around HER chicken coop.

I've heard that some can sent pic's to your smart phone?

What model do you guy's have and how do you like it?

And of course I'll use it for hunting. :) :)

Thanks Scott

There are some that will send pics to your phone or email, but they're very expensive to buy and require you to carry a separate cell type service in order to send the pics. It may be worth it for some people, but cell service is a rarity in my woods so it would be useless. It certainly would reduce human odor, and also help in the case of theft. I think some also have some sort of GPS device inside in case they're stolen. But you're looking at $600+, plus the monthly cell service.
I have a couple regular game cameras, one flash (Leaf River) and one IR (Wildgame Innovations, a cheapo). Both work decent, but the cheaper one gives very blurry pics if the animal is moving. The better cameras give better quality pics and typically a shorter trigger time. They're a lot of fun, assuming you don't have to worry about them being stolen.

M.Magis":kb6nssey said:
The better cameras give better quality pics and typically a shorter trigger time.
The trigger time is the most irritating part of most of the cameras that are affordable. Second most irritating is the programing process to make them do what you want.

I have 2 Moultrie cameras taht the LCD display has to be replaced every year and the shutter time is SLOOOOOOOOOOW, have 1 Primos that works well, last year got 2 Cuddebaks to replace the Moultries. 1 flash 1 IR, easy to program, good shutter time, good picture quality but they don;t have a way to fasten them to a tripod for the places that don;t have trees/posts handy. None of these are the highend deals, they're the middle of the road price wise.

I have a Bushnell and I like it a lot. The battery life is great on 8 AA's. From what I understand battery life is an issue with a lot of the other brands. It seems to take good pictures to me. I would buy another one.

I have a couple Wildgames, a Covert MP6 and just got a Moultrie. The Covert is by far my favorite, great battery life.

I've go a Moultrie 990i I believe it is . Does a good job for what I use it for. Can't justify moving up to the expensive ones.

dun":1df4x32r said:
M.Magis":1df4x32r said:
The better cameras give better quality pics and typically a shorter trigger time.
The trigger time is the most irritating part of most of the cameras that are affordable. Second most irritating is the programing process to make them do what you want.

No Dun those are not the most irritating part of a game camera. The most irritating part is going out to tend the camera after a few days and it's gone! That's what chapped my hide! And it walked off my own property.

Alan":1sh8fkqm said:
dun":1sh8fkqm said:
M.Magis":1sh8fkqm said:

No Dun those are not the most irritating part of a game camera. The most irritating part is going out to tend the camera after a few days and it's gone! That's what chapped my hide! And it walked off my own property.

I have a Moultrie. Actually it is my second one. Youngest son borrowed the first one and set it up on an old logging road. Granted it was on private property but it was along the road. Someone walked by, the camera flashed, and camera went walk about. Son was mad somebody was trespassing. I was going how stupid are you to set up the camera along a road. He replaced it with one he bought off Craigslist. I haven't tried the replacement yet.... hopefully it works.

The IR models are more visible than the regular flash models. The flash models are just that, a normal flash of light. The IR models have a series of small LED lights that flash repeatedly when taking a picture. In my opinion, IR is much more noticeable. They do have what they call "black flash" cameras now, which is supposed to be basically invisible.

If this is for the "around the chicken coop" I wouldn't worry about the flash or someone stealing it. After all if someone steals a camera from your chicken coop you have bigger problems in your neighborhood.

Dave it'll be dual purpose. I'll start out at the coop. Then it will go to Montana with us.

As far as the neighborhood goes, it's still a little bit "Mayberry" around here.

M.Magis":1e3trvif said:
The IR models are more visible than the regular flash models. The flash models are just that, a normal flash of light. The IR models have a series of small LED lights that flash repeatedly when taking a picture. In my opinion, IR is much more noticeable. They do have what they call "black flash" cameras now, which is supposed to be basically invisible.

You can only see the "red eye" on mine when you have the case open. Close it and you see nothing. There is a dark lens over it.

Named'em Tamed'em":3gaw6eex said:
I'm thinking that the IR models don't make a visable flash?

I might set it out with a lockbox just to be safe.

I love this little guy if you steal the camera and I have lost a few , I still have your picture for the GW.
Secondly after losing a few you are going to need a ladder or tractor bucket to get mine.
http://www.huntersbliss.com/spypoints-t ... mera-camo/

Caustic Burno":23dsj2l8 said:
Named'em Tamed'em":23dsj2l8 said:

I love this little guy if you steal the camera and I have lost a few , I still have your picture for the GW.
Secondly after losing a few you are going to need a ladder or tractor bucket to get mine.

Is the wireless transfer so you don't have to walk up and leave your scent. You just get within 250 ft and "initiate the transfer"????? Camera still gotta be there don't it?

Ouachita":rsb53i5o said:
Caustic Burno":rsb53i5o said:
Named'em Tamed'em":rsb53i5o said:

Is the wireless transfer so you don't have to walk up and leave your scent. You just get within 250 ft and "initiate the transfer"????? Camera still gotta be there don't it?
That is what I understand, your memory card is in the remote part that can be well hidden, that way you don't venture into a scrape area or feeding area. Plus if someone steals the camera hopefully they don't find the part with the card.

I don't know the name brand, I wish I did. A guy leased my place last year, and had a camera that sent pics to his phone. It worked off of a prepaid text only phone from Walmart. It went bad or something last year, and I had to go pick him another one. Seems like I just put the card from the phone it as best I remember. Neat little trick actually. He would send the pic to my phone if something interesting went by.

Latest posts