Who do you have for internet service?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have the same (similar) set-up as greybeard. Comes off the cell signals. Love it! Much more reliable than satellite (never went there, but know many that did). I don't know of anyone on satellite around here anymore. Verizon was more expensive than a Canadian company (not by much), so I stuck with the company on this side. But neighbor, a mile down the road, has Verizon and loves it. If you can't get a dedicated DSL/fiber line to the house, but can get a cell signal, it's the only way to go. Even if you have a very weak signal, you can get a booster antenna. One of the perks is that using the unit will automatically boost your cell signal in the house as well.

greybeard":gwb5ri7g said:
Hughesnet here, works off of a dish. My sister about 8 miles up the road from me has it and it works pretty good, but it is fairly expensive as well. I do not know what data plan she has but her husband gets up in the morning and watches gardening vids and by the time sis gets u, they've used up their daily cap and their connection slows way way down till the next day. Doesn't bother her since all she does is read news and email anyway.

I suspect Sky, that being as close to DC as you are, you will have a lot more options than I did. Look around good before choosing. I HAD to have something with mobility since my wife goes back and forth to school and the school requires a high speed connection to access their server.

GB I aint close enough cause I just have a few options. I like to watch youtube and need a good connection.

We have used Hughes net, internet and Dish Satellite TV for several years. We have been generally pleased with both. Hughes net has a Fair Access Policy that did limit the amount you could down load per day or the speed slowed down for 24 hours. The only time I ever exceeded the daily limit was watching a livestock video auction for several hours or when my nieces & nephew sports tournaments were broadcast. At that time you got one free token per month you could reset your limit with out the 24 hr. wait. I think they use a monthly quota now and I have never come close to the max.

We tried the Verizon cards as a cheaper option 4 or 5 years ago but at that time we could not get dependable service at the house.

A few years back the Wyoming Legislature voted to use some of the Mineral Excise revenue to run fiber optic cable to every school in the state with the proposed benefit of bringing faster internet service to many rural areas with slow dial-up. Several communication companies signed up and ran miles and miles of fiber optic lines but never had any plan to ever build the necessary infrastructure to hook it all up.

I guess I'm not the only one with crappy internet service. We can't watch any youtube videos without it stopping repeatedly to buffer. I don't imagine the decision makers with our local company would put up with what we have to put up with out here for internet service! :mad: :frowns:

Latest posts