Whitlock

Help Support CattleToday:

A bit more information would be usefull especially if he is a new sire, not much use asking people when you just call him by his first or last name. Maybe a link to his page would be usefull so we can look him. I don't know whether he is an Angus or a Brahman.

Ken

6.6 fs as a yearling and 5.3 at maturity?? How the^#*@/ does that happen?? As I understand it, IF the measurements are taken correctly and the formula applied properly, the frame score should never change. If I suspect that number, I have to suspect ALL the data. Where am I going wrong?
And what's with the missing switch? It's very off putting.

Missing switch... things happen.
Used to see it all the time in cattle on high-endophyte fescue.
No hi-E fescue on this place, but I have several cows without switches, due to other cows stepping on it while they're lounging around and pulling it right off when the stepped-on cow jumps up.

The only thing I see in his EPDs is the milk number is a little high and I wish he had more accuracy but I guess they have to start somewhere. Oh by the way he a angus sorry about that. ez14 thanks for the link I don't know how to put stuff like that up, not too good with a computer.

rollinhills":3eq35b99 said:
The only thing I see in his EPDs is the milk number is a little high and I wish he had more accuracy but I guess they have to start somewhere. Oh by the way he a angus sorry about that. ez14 thanks for the link I don't know how to put stuff like that up, not too good with a computer.
your welcome :tiphat:

City Guy":ethbltjh said:
6.6 fs as a yearling and 5.3 at maturity?? How the^#*@/ does that happen??

When an animal grows frame like crazy and then plateaus - early maturing. So he hit 52" at a year, and then peaked at 53" for example. 52 is high when young, but 53 isnt high when mature. He would have had top out at 56 to maintain a 6.6.

I'm also not as tall as I once was either.

Just based on that pic, I would be concerned with leg structure. You can see both dew claws on left front leg, which means it is turned out significantly (also is present on the paternal brother in the support photos). Also, his back left seems to be set too far in/under and is pushing his scrotum over. Suggests he is narrow based...but that's just what I see in the pic linked.

This bull is a maternal brother to S Summit 956 at select sires. I have never seen him in the flesh but do know after the initial data has come back on his calves that he is been used fairly heavily in his home herd.

I am thinking about using Whitlock on a few angus cows to get a replacement bull. Good idea.... yes/no?

Heifer pregnancy number is way low for my tastes... 90th percentile low.

moses388":123mrjhc said:
I am thinking about using Whitlock on a few angus cows to get a replacement bull. Good idea.... yes/no?
Depends on your goals.

If your goal is a replacement bull that will produce replacement quality females, I'd suggest his sire Chisum instead.
Both are available from Genex and both are priced at $30

Chisum is hard to beat. I have sold and saved several bulls out of him. And his heifers are top notch

You could also try Summit from Select Sires. Whitlock and Summit are half brothers.
Summit doesn't have the $B value that Whitlock has but his HP is 12.1. His daughters have made him popular.
He's on my short list to use because of his good reports. His $W is $89.75 but the epd that makes you pick your spots with him is SC....he's .24. A man who collects bulls told me as long as it isn't a negative it's OK. He warned me off bulls with extremely high SC. Once again it points out the thought of avoiding extremes. I also like Chisum by the way....Check out Genex on Facebook and there is a video with really nice Chisum calves...look to me almost what you would expect out of Charlo.

Air gator":6n55df3w said:
A man who collects bulls told me as long as it isn't a negative it's OK. He warned me off bulls with extremely high SC.
Once again it points out the thought of avoiding extremes.
I also like Chisum by the way...
I prefer bulls with above breed average SC, but it seems bulls above top 3% SC are not fertility improvers.

Prime example:
Mytty In Focus
sc 1.97 top 2% .97 accuracy and bottom 5% HP .82 accuracy

GAR Sure Fire
Top 1% sc 2.48 yet below breed average hp (62 percentile) with 47% acc. so his hp could easily drop even lower

Latest posts