white smoke and mule?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I bought a mule pretty cheap that is gas. it smokes when it gets warm - white smoke. i know its most likely the rings. is there any band aid i could use to get by for a bit. i was thinking just heavier weight motor oil. runs fine just smokes. comments.

jvicars":3te5xu76 said:
I bought a mule pretty cheap that is gas. it smokes when it gets warm - white smoke. i know its most likely the rings. is there any band aid i could use to get by for a bit. i was thinking just heavier weight motor oil. runs fine just smokes. comments.

Would white smoke be indicative of oil bypass or maybe water? Does it use excessive oil?

You might check the compression to get an idea of ring wear and/or valve sealing?

I wouldn't use a heavier oil than recommended.

i dont think your rings are bunt.because if they where the smoke would be coal black.an it would have a slight smell to it.the white smoke has me stumped.im wondering if water got into something other than the oil.but i dont know.

I noticed this morning that my mule was puffing white smoke, then I realized the choke wasn;t all the way off.
The first things I would do is change plugs and air filter, check the oil to see if it has water in it and check the choke to make sure it's opening completely

Red Bull Breeder":3j2cd170 said:
Are the mules liquid cooled or air cooled. Might be flooding on gas a little.

Mine is liquid cooled. I presume all are. :?:

MikeC":2vl5m17v said:
Red Bull Breeder":2vl5m17v said:
Are the mules liquid cooled or air cooled. Might be flooding on gas a little.

Mine is liquid cooled. I presume all are. :?:

The 2 cylinder ones are, the single lungers are air cooled.

I have always been told : Black smoke = carbon, Blue smoke = oil, White smoke = water/antifreeze.
Maybe a head gasket going. Check oil, if it looks milky, thats probably it.

i did some internet reading and found cd-2 oil detergent as a potential alternative. i used it this evening and so far no more smoke. who knows the problem. its runs fine for an old mule and does the job for the price. i will keep you posted on the cd-2 and whether it fixes the problem.

white smoak is antifreeze. it is more than likely a leaking head gasket. if it were blue smoak it would be rings or valve guides. if it were black smoak it would be to much fuel getting to the engine, probably the float sticking in the carb.

Latest posts