White shorthorn X charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was familiar or had experience with crossing white shorthorn or charolias cows. Was it a good cross, calving issues, were you satisfied? Anything would be appreciated.

it is a good cross you should get calves colored light red to a white i used a shorthorn bull on char cows and had straw colored calves but he was a red shorthorn David

We have mostly shorthorn cows, (mostly reds), and crossed them to Gelbvieh, they look pretty good, they're just on the tan side of red, though I would think a Char would be lighter... Shorthorn cows can calf out an elephant for the most part, so I don't think that would be a problem, and the other way around shouldn't be too much problem either with reasonable birthweights

this is a 3/4 shorthorn cow to a gelbveih, which is a dark tan, and this is the lightest colored calf of the year
IMG_6109.jpg

Same cow, same bull, the steer in the fall
NewFolder241.jpg

The bull
NewFolder186.jpg

Oh, and the nearly all white shorthorn cows we have had calves with the same color tone, but a bit of white markings on the face or stockings, and the roan cows had roan calves... with the gelbvieh, and probably the Char as well, you'll get a bit more meat in the hindquarters, which looks really nice... depending on your market though, the buyers like stuff that looks like a red angus and don't bid well on roans and whites, so that's why we stay with the red side of shorthorns

hope this was a bit of help

Nesikep, thanks for the info. You have nice animals. White hides don't do quite as well as black hides here, but a notable cross does very well. Being from the South, lighter animals just seem to do better in the heat. I think the shorthorn and Char cross would be a good one.

what temps do you have down there? Around here we have 90-110F or so from may through september on a hot year... though we have a very dry air... (I was in georgia once.. MUGGY!!!)... they also often don't have any shade either and do alright

A lot will depend on your markets... uniformly colored animals will tend to do better at sales than a bunch that don't look the same... which could be a problem with shorthorns that aren't full red, though if there are full white ones, that may work.

Latest posts