White "Shorthorn" Cross Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Had a speckled roan show up with a white calf that has a black nose??? She was bred to a black balancer. Previous calves were all black or bwf.

Actually has any of your neighbours got an MG bull? the MG comes from white shorthorn genetics partially and has black pigment. So that may have been what happened...

the calf is probably a light gray, with the black nose, it may get darker as it gets older.
is the white shorthorn a diluter gene or just white? never had any shorthorns.

so how come murrey grey are grey instead of black or white? isnn't the grey from a diluter gene? just curious i like the looks of MG's. never had one of those either. had a santa gertrudis bull once that would be shorthorn x brahman. make good cows.

jcarkie":2uidk71q said:
so how come murrey grey are grey instead of black or white? isnn't the grey from a diluter gene? just curious i like the looks of MG's. never had one of those either. had a santa gertrudis bull once that would be shorthorn x brahman. make good cows.

Have to throw some hereford in to have a gert.

edit: oops disregard my comment. Got confused with beefmaster.

Brightview":2127rs25 said:
You may have com across the origins of the Speckled Park cattle :clap: How about a photo? :nod:

The neighbors have Holsteins and Highlanders, so I must have a Murrey Gray...

I am working on a photo.

Holstein?

Belgian blue bull over a Holstein cow throws a white calf with black nose and black ears - first thing I thought of when you described the calf.
Could a Holstein bull make that with your cow?

regolith":712h33j8 said:
Belgian blue bull over a Holstein cow throws a white calf with black nose and black ears - first thing I thought of when you described the calf.
could you pick worse breeding for calving problems?

A friend of mine's purebred shorthorn cow (roan) threw a pure white calf that had black tipped ears and black pigment. The bull was a simmental (AI'd and calved very close to the due date). I don't know how likely that is, if at all.

I have no idea what would cause a calf like that, like aussie said, she must have come near a black pigmented bull somewhere...

Aero":1zo2sv3l said:
regolith":1zo2sv3l said:
could you pick worse breeding for calving problems?

True story...

Showing, you're right. If it doesn't add up, chances are that something in your equation is wrong. But that is weird about the simmental. I wonder, was it a black or traditional simmy?

Also I'm unsure about the dilluter gene in the MGs, I'm sure the main cross is White shorthorn x angus that produced it. The outcome was either silver or black roan. And they used the silver to found the MG breed. Perhaps you were lucky enough to get this because the Balancer is a Gelbvieh x Angus mix isn't it? And perhaps the calf will darken as it gets older.

Latest posts