White Scours?

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
Our week-old calf has scours that is very light in color - almost white...I am used to seeing yellow scours, but have never seen white. Is this normal? She has been on Nuflor for pnuemonia - I have heard that antibiotics like this can cause scours and thought that maybe it was causing this.

I copied this from a TAMU article...it applies to Range cattle:

Nutritional Scours
Under range conditions, a calf adapts a pattern of nursing
that fills its needs. Nutritional scours can be caused by
anything that disrupts this normal habit. A storm, strong
wind or the mother going off hunting for new grass
disrupts the normal nursing pattern. When the calf does
get up to nurse, it is overly hungry and the cow has
more milk than normal, so the calf may overload,
resulting in a nutritional scours. This is usually a white
scours caused by undigested milk passing through the
intestinal tract. This type of scours usually presents little
problem in treatment. Many of these calves, if they are
still active and alert, do not require treatment. If the calf
becomes depressed or quits nursing, treatment should be
started. Oral antibiotics can be used for treatment along
with fluids, if the calf begins to dehydrate.

Now, if this is a bottle baby, it could still be nutritional scours...over feeding. I've read that nutritional scours are not particularly harmful to the calf...but I wouldn't bet the calf's life on it. I'd be giving that calf electrolytes as well as cutting back on the amount of milk liquid he's getting.

Bottle babies can really get overfed liquid. A full 4 pint bottle is just too much at one time. Mix your milk replacer with 3 pints of water instead of 4. Mix the electrolytes as directed, but only give a half bottle at a time. It's a lot of work, but it's better than one getting down with scours, whatever kind they might be.

We've also had calves that had white/gray scours that weren't from over feeding...and they got serious real quick. That's why I always give electrolytes about 2 hours after I feed milk replacer if I see a hint of scours.

And, that baby is old enough to start nibbling dry calf starter or calf manna and good grassy hay. Do you have any out? It makes a difference... ;-)

Range baby or bottle baby...myself, I'd still be giving electrolytes. Just my opinion. :)

Alice

Thanks for the reply - the calf is with it's mother. I did end up giving it a bottle of electrolytes yesterday just because I wasn't sure how serious this could get. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, but after reading your response, I'm glad I did. The calf appears to be feeling ok - I will prob. keep with the electrolytes until the scours completely stops just to be safe? The calf does have access to grain and hay.

mcdowedd":3v7mluv8 said:
Thanks for the reply - the calf is with it's mother. I did end up giving it a bottle of electrolytes yesterday just because I wasn't sure how serious this could get. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing, but after reading your response, I'm glad I did. The calf appears to be feeling ok - I will prob. keep with the electrolytes until the scours completely stops just to be safe? The calf does have access to grain and hay.

Then it sounds to me like you are doing all you can...and I agree with you about the electrolytes until the scours are gone. Good luck!

Alice

Have you checked the cow for mastitus ? We had a calf couple of years ago That pooped white. I called our vet and he said it may be from the cow. He said if it was it causes an infection in the calf's belly. He gave me 2 bolus,but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.
Anyway, I had to separate the cow and calf. I also had to milk the cow and check her milk. And she did have mastitus. We medicated her ,then sold her. I raised the calf and still have her to this day.

Joy in Texas":8kj6i6qr said:
Have you checked the cow for mastitus ? We had a calf couple of years ago That pooped white. I called our vet and he said it may be from the cow. He said if it was it causes an infection in the calf's belly. He gave me 2 bolus,but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.
Anyway, I had to separate the cow and calf. I also had to milk the cow and check her milk. And she did have mastitus. We medicated her ,then sold her. I raised the calf and still have her to this day.

Huh...not having raised calves with the mothers, I didn't know that. At some point we will be raising calves with their mothers and this is really, really good to know. Thank you, Joy. :)

Alice

don't know if you get it there, but Disulfox works really well on coccidiosis and white scours. Inject everyday for 4 days, I'm sure there will be an equivalent in the USA.

Latest posts