White Privilege

Help Support CattleToday:

Many of these late nineteenth and early twentieth century settlers lived by the superstition "rain follows the plow." Emigrants, land speculators, politicians and even some scientists believed that homesteading and agriculture would permanently affect the climate of the semi-arid Great Plains region, making it more conducive to farming.

This false belief was linked to Manifest Destiny—an attitude that Americans had a sacred duty to expand west. A series of wet years during the period created further misunderstanding of the region's ecology and led to the intensive cultivation of increasingly marginal lands that couldn't be reached by irrigation.

Causes

In 1930, weather patterns shifted over the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.1 The Pacific grew cooler than normal and the Atlantic warmer.

The combination weakened and changed the direction of the jet stream. That air current carries moisture from the Gulf of Mexico up toward the Great Plains. It then dumps rain when it reaches the Rockies. This combination also creates tornadoes. When the jet stream moved south, the rain never reached the Great Plains

There were four waves of droughts, one right after another. They occurred in 1930-1931, 1934, 1936, and 1939-1940, but it felt like one long drought. The affected regions could not recover before the next one hit.

1930-1931:

The first drought ravaged 23 states in the Mississippi and Ohio river valleys. It reached as far east as the mid-Atlantic region and hit eight Southern states. Deflation during the Depression drove cotton prices down from $0.18 per pound in 1928 to $0.06 per pound in 1931.11 It cost farmers more to plant cotton than they could get selling it. Farmers could not produce enough food to eat.

Somewhere around here I've got pictures of my grandfather and great uncles picking cotton out of the field that's right outside my current bedroom window.
That's what aggravates me about all this division. Not every one had slaves and stuff. My mothers family are Czech/ Bohemian and they had cotton. They worked their own fields and hired in a day labor.

Same things on the german side. We fled germany and were hunted down just like they jews.

We were so poor growing up, we ate Ordinary K for breakfast and ate it with a fork to save milk and when my uncle put out his cigarette one day, my mother asked "Who turned off the heater?" ;)

(I and my siblings are the 1st generation in my family that DIDN'T pick cotton. My father share cropped some East Texas land in the early 30s that is now under Lake fork and most of his family traveled to West Texas' Nolan County to pick dry land cotton when it got ready at a different time than East Texas cotton. )

That's what aggravates me about all this division. Not every one had slaves and stuff. My mothers family are Czech/ Bohemian and they had cotton. They worked their own fields and hired in a day labor.

Same things on the german side. We fled germany and were hunted down just like they jews.
It's my understanding great great grandpa had a few slaves..... great grandpa just had 7 sons and some seasonal wetbacks. ...

When my Grandfather came to this country in 1910 he worked in PNW logging camps. He said they treated the pigs better than the men. The pigs got straw for bedding. The men had rough sawed lumber bunks. They had to gather ferns or limbs for a mattress. They worked from dawn to dusk 6 days a week. No slaves you were allowed to quit and draw your pay at any time. Of course then you would need to find another job. And that next job would have the same conditions. The only reason to move to another job was if they served better food. Working in very dangerous conditions if you got hurt you had to survive until quitting time because they didn't stop work to haul you to the doctor. If you got killed they just drug your body out of the way and continued work for the day. Shafer Bros Logging in the Grays Harbor area had a sign over their hiring office that read, "If you can't fly, don't light here." It is said that they averaged killing a man a day.

I've heard stories that oil rig crews hid injured hands till after the crew reached their 6 month safety award date. Them new Red Wings and insulated coveralls were prized.

I knew an old boy who was raised in a logging camp up on the northern end of the Olympic Peninsula. That was in the rail road logging days. The crew went out and in to camp on a speeder pulling cars. The school was located on the end of camp toward the woods. The last car pulled by the speeder would have the dead and injured on it. The school boys would bet on how many were on that car. He said nobody ever took zero. That was a losing bet.
I have seen it written that the old steam logging days was the closest thing to modern warfare. It is a whole lot safer now than it was then. But in '72 through '93 when I broke my back, I helped carry out the bodies of 3 dead guys. And another who was alive and talking to us while packing him out who died on the way to the hospital.

Good young friend up the hill runs a logging & sawmill operation. It's still dangerous business.
About 2 months ago, his partner had a tree fall on and and bugger up his foot & ankle... Henry had to cut the tree off of him. The next day, Henry was limbing up a tree he'd felled... limb under tension popped back and broke his tibia.
He had no medical insurance, and they only carry Workman's Comp on their one employee... because logging is so dangerous, and it's such a small pool... their WC premium is $9/hour; that on top of the $10-12/hr he already pays the employee. He was back at work way sooner than I would have been... but he's got bills to pay.

Was thinking about the 'white privilege' deal yesterday, while picking berries. I suspect that some of my Washington ancestors, back around GW's time may have owned some slaves, but none that I'm aware of any latter than that... most were just hardscrabble farmers (or outlaws!). My grandparents on both sides lost everything in the Great Depression, and were sharecroppers... but managed by scrimping and saving to put all their kids through college(first generation to go), and buy small farms. All my uncles served in WWII, and one was killed in combat. Were they more 'privileged' than black folks in south Alabama at the time? Yeah, without a doubt. But I have no guilt about 'white privilege'... nothing was handed to them, and my wife and I pretty much worked for everything we've got, as well.

Latest posts