white pine needles

Help Support CattleToday:

jnm303

Reaction score
I moved cows into a different pasture yesterday. There are some limbs that blew off a white pine tree laying around. Today I noticed a couple cows eating the needles. Harmful? Sign of missing something? No reason to be hungry as there is some grass and Hay was rolled out.

jnm303":y80higc4 said:
I moved cows into a different pasture yesterday. There are some limbs that blew off a white pine tree laying around. Today I noticed a couple cows eating the needles. Harmful? Sign of missing something? No reason to be hungry as there is some grass and Hay was rolled out.

Mine are in a white pine woods occasionally. I had the same thing - some limbs blown down which they nibbled on. They seem to like the taste of something different. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about as long as they have other food available.

There was something posted here earlier abotu another pine variey, ponderrosa pine maybe? that can be poisonous to cattle. White pine is not a problem or mine would all be dead.

Jim

I don't think white pine is a problem for cattle. never seen mine eating them but we have plenty all around the pasture and all over our state-I'm sure if they were a problem we'd be hearing about it. When I had goats they loved them.

Latest posts