White Perch (Crappie for you Yankees)

Help Support CattleToday:

TB, Our soft water Walleye season opens 2nd Sat in May, I don't know how I can wait. :?

These are as good eating as there is. :D :D

01-08-2008103028PM2-1.jpg

MM.... shame on you to tease folks with that big ol' stringer of fish. Guess I can go home and open a can of tuna or salmon and make believe. :cry:

Walleye beats all hands down. They are best in the 18 to 20 inch range. They have the tenderest white meat ever and not even a hint of fishy taste. Then comes perch the cousin of the walleye. Jumbo perch are so good. Then comes a tie between bluegills and crappies for tastiness. Northerns are ok but not the best for eating since they have y bones and can have a fishy taste but are great in cracker dip. That is a huge crappie you got there, 15 inches now thats a slab. Catfish and bull heads are terrible i think since they have such a smell and nasty taste but thats from around here from muddy rivers. Silver bass are ok to eat if you eat them right away andif they come out of cold water. They get a fishy taste if they are in the freezer for more than a month.

mnmtranching":jhz86snl said:
TB, Our soft water Walleye season opens 2nd Sat in May, I don't know how I can wait. :?

These are as good eating as there is. :D :D

01-08-2008103028PM2-1.jpg

Thank goodness you live up there were the water is cold even in summer....You must have drug that good looking stringer of eyes behind the boat all day long.... A tip fro m a southern boy that fishes once a year up north. Gut those suckers and put em on ice in the icechest..... as good as they taste they will taste even better...... Good looking stringer

Skinman you are correct us yankees call them crappies. Here a white perch is not really a perch at all it is a member of the bass family. If we catch one the local dnr asks us to either take them home or throw them on shore to die. Their ability to reproduce is overstocking them in some lakes here. Interestingly enough we don't consider a crappie a perch either it is part of the sunfish family. It looks like form the picture that you have 2 white crappies and one black crappie.

dun":2s1d4qpb said:
gerardplauche":2s1d4qpb said:
Oh no. I didn't think ANYONE preferred catfish over white perch. What is this world coming to? White perch is the "filet mignon" of freshwater fish!

Not if all you ate for a year was fried crappie and fried baked potatoes.

Leave out the taters and throw in some fried morrells here in a few weeks and you've got a meal fit for a king. The old guys at work tell me they rather have a nice mess of crappie and mushrooms over a hot piece of tail any day. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts