White Perch (Crappie for you Yankees)

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Reaction score
Anybody been catching any white perch? Its starting to pick up around here, but its still SLOW fishing. The kids and I caught 16 this evening.

b831tz.jpg

Skinman- where you catching those at?

I hear they are biting at Larto Lake right now.

In MN we pronounce it like craww-pee. I know, I know it's because we have that clothes pin on the nose thingy going. :roll:

Love those crappies though. Second favorite to the walleye. :nod:

MistyMorning":3tl89h0i said:
In MN we pronounce it like craww-pee. I know, I know it's because we have that clothes pin on the nose thingy going. :roll:

Love those crappies though. Second favorite to the walleye. :nod:

Up our way we say it cray-pee. No matter tasty is tasty! I second you on the walleye!!! I miss my Dad he used to ice fish all winter and the freezer would be full before he quit!

dun":2wpkjs95 said:
People actually eat that catfish bait?

I'm with you. Watch me turn these into 30 lb yellows. Flat heads to some of you. The kind of catfish that only bite something that wiggles.

Oh no. I didn't think ANYONE preferred catfish over white perch. What is this world coming to? White perch is the "filet mignon" of freshwater fish!

Gerald...Amen Bro.....didn't recognize that language you used to pronounce the name of them crop-e fishes (probably a local dialect with a slight accent as well) . But crop-e is better than any catfish that ever swum up.

gerardplauche":22rpjxig said:
Oh no. I didn't think ANYONE preferred catfish over white perch. What is this world coming to? White perch is the "filet mignon" of freshwater fish!

Not if all you ate for a year was fried crappie and fried baked potatoes.

Sugarman,
We were fishing at Lake D'arbonne in Farmerville, La. I live about 15 minutes from it.

White perch is the "filet mignon" of freshwater fish!

You got that right gerardplauche!! Only thing that comes close is speckled trout...

dun":1vjw181x said:
gerardplauche":1vjw181x said:

Not if all you ate for a year was fried crappie and fried baked potatoes.

Gee dun, another story I would love to hear. The first one being the Kowloon Ferry trip. Oh and I gotta agree with the other guys, crappie over catfish anyday. :nod:

Neighbor went up the river the other day caught a few, still a little early for perch jerking.
Catfish is OK and I have two stocked ponds full of them. I try real hard every year to insure the freezer is full of speckled trout and white perch.

Well if you like them so well, catch one, put a 20 foot length of fishing line through the edge of his jaw tied off, and put a tiny cork on the other end. Turn him loose in the lake. He'll jump back in with the school. Just follow that tiny cork around the lake with your trolling motor and cast out in front of it.

Don't let the game warden see this or you'll be in a heap of trouble.

The rest of you folks can grab the other end of the seine and we'll hit the river. We need about 500 perch to bait the lines this weekend. That might take two or three pulls.

backhoeboogie":3tjy2rwy said:
Well if you like them so well, catch one, put a 20 foot length of fishing line through the edge of his jaw tied off, and put a tiny cork on the other end. Turn him loose in the lake. He'll jump back in with the school. Just follow that tiny cork around the lake with your trolling motor and cast out in front of it.

Don't let the game warden see this or you'll be in a heap of trouble.

The rest of you folks can grab the other end of the seine and we'll hit the river. We need about 500 perch to bait the lines this weekend. That might take two or three pulls.

That's pretty muc what I do with them. Except I imbed a big hook in them and crack their back just a bit then wait for the big cats to come to dinner.

There ain't a better eating fish than crappie. It is correctly pronouced crapy not cropy.... around these parts anyway.

3fifty7":2hjym75j said:
The SAC-O-Lait are pratically jumping the boat at Larto lake. :D

That's a bold statement. Being that I almost live on Larto Lake, I'm gonna have to call BULL on that! :cowboy:

Latest posts