White Musle

Help Support CattleToday:

> I have been having problems with
> calves,and I was wondering what
> the symptoms of white musle
> disease are.

the main symptoms of white musle are stiffness in the hind limbs and reluctent to move. Best treatment is an injection of vitamin E.

> I have been having problems with
> calves,and I was wondering what
> the symptoms of white musle
> disease are.

White mussel is caused by Selenium deficiency. The problem most often occurs in young calves affecting the mussels in the hind legs. (back and shoulders too.) causing lameness. It can affect the heart muscle and respatory system also. If you live in the West there is a good chance your soil is deficient. The Sulfur in chemical fertilizers compete directly with Selenium intake by the plants. Also Rapid plant growth can contribute to the lack of Selenium. You might want to feed out free choice supplements. I give all my mommas a shot of Mu-se two months before calving. This is Selenium vitamin E, and will pass through the Placenta into the calf. White mussel can effect the calf before birth and may cause early abortion. Also the lack of Selenium can cause the cow to retain the Placenta causing other problems. Little Selenium will pass through the milk and at birth I give a shot of Bo-se to the calf.