White Face Cattle Benefit

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":2sebpu68 said:
Shame on you greenwillow. Herefords cross well with ALL breeds. Not sure if anyone else on here heard about the Hereford bull at the Billings, MT test station that made a pound of gain for about every 2 pounds of feed. Herefords do pack on the pounds, on grass and grain. :cowboy:

:oops: :help: Sorry, I was trying to be modest. :banana:

farmwife":fus8neux said:
I don't dispute the fact that eared cattle will do better in certain climates, but my response was to a comment about feedlots. I just don't see how American influenced cattle will grade as fast or as efficient as English cattle.
Study heterosis, or 'hybrid vigour'.
What do you mean by "efficient as English cattle". I am not aware of any claims as to efficiency regarding English cattle, other than Hereford. There are some efficient individuals out there but not the breeds as a whole. Murray Grey has done well and they are derived from English cattle. (Don't have a clue how that happened. Maybe just proper breeding and selection.)

Aaron":30sh217t said:
Shame on you greenwillow. Herefords cross well with ALL breeds. Not sure if anyone else on here heard about the Hereford bull at the Billings, MT test station that made a pound of gain for about every 2 pounds of feed. Herefords do pack on the pounds, on grass and grain. :cowboy:

Wow. Am I understanding you correctly that a Hereford bull on the Midland test gained one pound for each two pounds of feed? Please post a link. I'd like to see his pedigree.

Aaron":3m09qbl9 said:
Here's a link to the story Frankie. :cowboy:

Shucks Aaron, My herfs did better than that when I had them. They put on pounds and I never gave them feed at all - just pasture :D :D

novatech":113hxs4o said:
farmwife":113hxs4o said:
I don't dispute the fact that eared cattle will do better in certain climates, but my response was to a comment about feedlots. I just don't see how American influenced cattle will grade as fast or as efficient as English cattle.
Study heterosis, or 'hybrid vigour'.
What do you mean by "efficient as English cattle". I am not aware of any claims as to efficiency regarding English cattle, other than Hereford. There are some efficient individuals out there but not the breeds as a whole. Murray Grey has done well and they are derived from English cattle. (Don't have a clue how that happened. Maybe just proper breeding and selection.)

So, are you for American cattle in the feedlot or English cattle in the feedlot -- You've made arguement for both on this thread.

Efficient -- Grade choice from less input.

farmwife":2zxw7z4n said:
So, are you for American cattle in the feedlot or English cattle in the feedlot -- You've made arguement for both on this thread.

If you have been following his posts for years, you'd know he is an advocate for testing. I think it is GeneSTAR testing that Nova was using - and culling accordingly. You get good and bad in all breeds.

backhoeboogie":181b2nvq said:
farmwife":181b2nvq said:

If you have been following his posts for years, you'd know he is an advocate for testing. I think it is GeneSTAR testing that Nova was using - and culling accordingly. You get good and bad in all breeds.
I am not for either one individually. I am for the combination of both for this climate. To go a step further I do not believe in the combination of just any 2 animals to give one what they are looking for in the feed lot. There are those animals, within a breed, that excel in certain traits that should be bred for and those animals, within a breed, that should be expelled because they lack certain traits or have bad traits. As a general rule certain breeds have certain traits. If one wants to ride on the reputation of those general traits they are not doing the breed any good.
I use Genestar testing on calves to see if they have the potential too meet my goals. I use carcass evaluation from the bulls selected as sires. As well as everything else I can get my hands on to evaluate outcome. As hard as I try I still get It wrong, sometimes. So how can people get it right when all they select for is breed, or color. :roll: