White Face Cattle Benefit

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We have been saving a few select stocker heifers for replacments in recent years. Typically the slickest shiniest ones are white face with either some herford or simi blood in them. Since many of the local Angus breeders are into high EPD bulls - - do you think this has made "Black Angus" hard keepers, or is are shiny cattle just an example of a cross breeding benefit?

Shame on you greenwillow. Herefords cross well with ALL breeds. Not sure if anyone else on here heard about the Hereford bull at the Billings, MT test station that made a pound of gain for about every 2 pounds of feed. Herefords do pack on the pounds, on grass and grain. :cowboy:

We used to supplement with a lot of corn on grass, but with the recent grain prices that is just not practical. I did delay turn out and then supplemented with corn the first two weeks this spring. Then they had good grass and mineral until last week when I started supplying second cutting alfalfa. That is really putting some pounds on them. Locally we are in the third year of drought and the corn is looking tough.

Some of the big blacks take forever to slick up on grass only. The local Angus bull breeders are chasing high yearling weights... On average the white face are a tad lighter but they look better on grass and they are easier on the head gate.

Efficiency is the number one word being used by the cattle producers looking toward the future. I see Hereford cattle having a very good future if is marketed properly by the Assoc.
A large feedlot buyer told me he was buying less black these days and more whiteface with ear.

novatech":3717bivw said:
Efficiency is the number one word being used by the cattle producers looking toward the future. I see Hereford cattle having a very good future if is marketed properly by the Assoc.
A large feedlot buyer told me he was buying less black these days and more whiteface with ear.

Ear? Why would he want ear in a feedlot? They take longer to grade (and they're tougher on the headgate).

I sometimes am amazed when people question why someone would want a little "ear" on their cattle. A 1/4 Brahman blood calf is sometimes refered to as a "panhandle cross" and most of the time can be put on the same order with okie calves as long as it does not show much crest over the neck. These cattle feed well in the summer time. I do realize there are areas that do not need any Brahman influence.

Every breed has cattle family lines that grade and every breed has cattle families that have carcass issues. The thing for all of us to do is to identify cattle that have desirable carcass qualities and the ability to grow efficiently. That last part maybe be as important as the high quality carcass.

I personally think it is time to reach back and use some Hereford genetics after we have gone full steam ahead to make every calf black. It is my observation from sitting in sale barns that cattlemen in my area have given up weaning weight to make their calves black

F1 Braford do not take longer to grade. They will out grow most anything else in the feedlot as a general rule. Most importantly they will do it for less, leaving far more profit to take to the bank.

Santas and Duhram Reds":18gsx0w3 said:
Ear? Why would he want ear in a feedlot? They take longer to grade (and they're tougher on the headgate).

better look again. A lot has and is happening in the world of eared cattle. Stereotypes of the 70s just don't hold true anymore.

Exactly. Look at which cows fetch the most nickels at the sale barn. We're up to 33 or 34 days of triple digit temperature. You can look at short eared black cattle in the pasture and see the effect. They should have calved those cows in the fall for this climate.

Eared cattle are holding their own. There's plenty of grass for them to forage and they are getting after it. Calves are getting plenty of milk too. Short eared black pairs are being split left and right at the sale barn around here.

backhoeboogie":1kgcq1uk said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1kgcq1uk said:

better look again. A lot has and is happening in the world of eared cattle. Stereotypes of the 70s just don't hold true anymore.

Exactly. Look at which cows fetch the most nickels at the sale barn. We're up to 33 or 34 days of triple digit temperature. You can look at short eared black cattle in the pasture and see the effect. They should have calved those cows in the fall for this climate.

Eared cattle are holding their own. There's plenty of grass for them to forage and they are getting after it. Calves are getting plenty of milk too. Short eared black pairs are being split left and right at the sale barn around here.

I don't dispute the fact that eared cattle will do better in certain climates, but my response was to a comment about feedlots. I just don't see how American influenced cattle will grade as fast or as efficient as English cattle.

Ask the guys buying the baldies and eared cattle at the sale barn. If they didn't want them, they wouldn't be paying the premiums. Herf crossed with ear are bringing a lot of nickels.

backhoeboogie":122s7pnp said:
Ask the guys buying the baldies and eared cattle at the sale barn. If they didn't want them, they wouldn't be paying the premiums. Herf crossed with ear are bringing a lot of nickels.

Herf crossed with ear with a little shorthorn would be our preference... ;-) but that's what works for us... and yes, unfortunately we take a discount per weight compared to the little black crosses that will never perform as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

DavisBeefmasters":xvfit74l said:
backhoeboogie":xvfit74l said:

Herf crossed with ear with a little shorthorn would be our preference... ;-) but that's what works for us... and yes, unfortunately we take a discount per weight compared to the little black crosses that will never perform as well.
Different strokes for different folks.
comments like this always amaze me.

When it comes down to it around here the person who produces the most pounds of beef for the least amount of input cost will make the most money. If your cattle won't work cheap better get some that will.

ALACOWMAN":3ulci4h6 said:
hereford's are the "mexicans" of cheap labor .. show em grass and put em to work

Yup! And they only have to eat in the morning for a couple of hours and in the evening for a couple of hours and they can rest when it's hot.

Latest posts