white eye lens in calf

Help Support CattleToday:

avandam

Reaction score
I had brought home a calf from work and I noticed since the first day I even saw her that her eye looked a little weird.
In the day time you wouldn't be able to tell that there was anything wrong, but at night her LENS is very milky white(because her pupil dilates). Its not on the cornea or in it, its IN the lens (deep down) and you can tell she is a partly blind in that eye, especially at night. During the day it looks like a normal eye (maybe a very little tint of glossy blue..very little though) To the average person, you wouldn't be able to tell. She also is a little small (weighs about 200 and is 4 months old).
I took her home because (they said) she had frost bite when she was born in March this year (2013), so she is missing her ear tips, tail tip, and 70% of her back left hoof. I have done tons of research but can't find much.. I brought her home Monday and have been changing her feed slowly, which I thought all that would be stressful..but she hasn't had diarrhea and is very healthy, active, and eating great!!

I figured if she had BVD she would have ulcers or lesions.. and would have had an "flare up" and got diarrhea or something.. after the 30 minute ride, new place, and new feed.

Any insight to this would be appreciated!! Shes just a pet too
Thank you!!!

I would think pink eye but that affects the cornea. If it is the lens that is clouded, it is more like cataracts. I doubt that it can be reversed and if the calf is doing well, you are doing a good job. I hope you have good luck with the calf.

Lenticular opacity - essentially a cataract. A number of potential causes - including BVD - but BVD-persistently-infected animals don't have ulcers or diarrhea, at least not until they contract (or their own infecting virus mutates to) a cytopathic strain of BVD virus.
Guess I'd still recommend testing to make sure she's not a BVD-PI calf.

Had a heifer, 30 years ago, rejected by her first-calf dam, that had bilateral cataracts. So far as I could ascertain, she could see just fine, for a cow. She probably would have had difficulty driving at night(LOL), but that was never a problem .

Latest posts