White clover is killing permant pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
White clover is killing the fescue and bermuda out. Haven't decided if this is good or bad. A farmer across the river spayed about 150 acres last week to kill the clover. I have only had it for about 3 years in a good stand. Since we have been using litter for fertilizer.
What is your thought on this? ( This is a problem I would have welcomed a few years back)

I guess it goes to show that clover is a weed if you get to much of it. Ryegrass can do the same thing here if it isn't properly managed. Choke it back might be a better term. By this time of the year both the ryegrass and clovers are gone.

If you graze off the clover fairly early the grasses will outgrow the clover. The past few years clover ha been taking over a lot of our fields. Some haven;t had any clover in them for years. The past couple of years have been ideal clover growing weather. Unless you want to bale it, it's hard to have too much clover.

Hill
I have noticed since I have been using the turkey litter that I have had an increase in clover also, I had a feild that I baled yesterday that is a high producing field and this yr it was probably 60% clover I was thinking this was because I forgot to fert last fall and that the increased ph from the liming and litter had just made it optimum for the clover and the grass didn't get the boost it needed from the N that I forgot to put on
also I baled an alfalfa field thatis on its last yr and the clover was probably 60% in it also

Dun why don't you like to bale it?

Angus Cowman":28vbe56c said:
Dun why don't you like to bale it?
My mower doesn;t have a ocnditioner and takes too long to dry compared to the grass. Tends to mat down instead of staying "fluffed up" like grass does.

This is interesting. We REALLY like having clovers in our pastures and haylands up here. We actually seed the stuff.

dun":1ft74zda said:
If you graze off the clover fairly early the grasses will outgrow the clover. The past few years clover ha been taking over a lot of our fields. Some haven;t had any clover in them for years. The past couple of years have been ideal clover growing weather. Unless you want to bale it, it's hard to have too much clover.
I agree with you dun. Over the last couple of years, the white and red clovers have been thriving around here. My cattle like both, so I dont sweat it.

After readihg this post this morn, I looked at my pastures tonite. It seem to me the white clover is in the places that the grass has been grazed too short. I don't like it here cuz' we have better things than that to grow. Red clover and brome and thimothy and even fescue produce more than white clover. gs

We had such a cool, wet spring here in central Missouri that the fescue just didn't grow as well as it should. Lots of seed stalks and very little leaf matter. Which allowed the clover to over power it. Not to worry, it will all even out eventually. Remember, clover is only two weeks away from a drought.

Steve Wilson":38qda9tx said:
Remember, clover is only two weeks away from a drought.

This area is never more the 7 days from a drought regardless of what is growing.

I will have to agree clover does not like dry weather. The statement only 2 weeks away from a drought is a truth on my rock pile. The rains always keeps me in the sale barn selling to match the growth on the grass or buying to match the hay stack.
We bailed some of the clover in the pastures this year it takes a mountain of it to make a bail. It cures out there is not much left.

dun":27zeuult said:
Steve Wilson":27zeuult said:
Remember, clover is only two weeks away from a drought.

This area is never more the 7 days from a drought regardless of what is growing.
Seems we are always 4 - 10 days away from a rain. :lol:

Latest posts