White 100 tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

customcattle

Reaction score
I have found a 1989 white 100 tractor with 6500 hours on it for around $14000 and was wondering if anybody has any experience with these tractors? The tractor is a 4 hour drive and was wondering what questions I should ask before making the drive to look at it. Do y'all think that 6500 is too many hours? Thanks in advance.

6500 hours is getting up there but not terrible, also depends on how much you're going to use it and how it's been maintained.. It's got a Cummins 12V 5.9L engine, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part, even if it dies, there's tons of them around.. I'd be much more concerned about the 4wd system, front hubs, u joints, transmission, brakes and tires.. all that stuff gets expensive really quick... Good used engine can be had for $1500 now.

On the transmission, it's got an over/underdrive in each gear, and that part is probably an electric over hydraulic clutch... If those are worn, that's going to be an expensive repair bill.. Make sure that part works, I'd recommend hitching something heavy onto it and ensuring the powershift doesn't lag or slip

Does it have a loader and cab? The loader in particular would be the thing that puts the value onto the tractor, without it, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it

That seems to be a lot of money for a tractor with that many hours but after a quick Internet search it looks to be in the right range. I would look for something different if I had any doubts at all about it. I guess the cummins is why they have such a high value?

M-5":2n3vqlom said:
Great tractor but will eat clutches like fat kid eats cookies

Neighbors had the Perkins powered White tractors before these later tractors with Cummins power. I don't remember their experience being any worse than any other dry clutch tractor. The dry clutch and the tranny setup might not be the most ideal for intense loader work :idea:

It does have a Westendorf ta28 loader and is 2wd. I would mainly be using it to hay with in the summer and feed with in the winter. Right now it would be on a small sq baler, and I know it's a bit of over kill for that, but in the future we will be getting a round baler as well.
I have heard that the transmissions on these tractors are pretty much bullet proof. Is there any validity to that?

A 27 year old tractor, 2wd, with 6500 hrs. for 14k, no thanks. It is hard enough to farm with equipment that isn't worn out. Good luck.

John SD":2zrjwq0h said:
M-5":2zrjwq0h said:

Neighbors had the Perkins powered White tractors before these later tractors with Cummins power. I don't remember their experience being any worse than any other dry clutch tractor. The dry clutch and the tranny setup might not be the most ideal for intense loader work :idea:

I should not have been so cryptic I guess. These tractor clutches do fine for field work and normal use, Some people just can not operate them with out burning them up. we had a 155 it was my favorite tractor, I could use it all day every day picking pnuts and never had any issues but as soon as our hired hand got in it and used it you could expect to have to replace the clutch. Maybe it it was just him and the tractor didn't not mesh bUt I could almost brake it apart and put back together with my eyes closed.

So... it looks like I wasn't the only one looking at that tractor. It was advertised on Friday and I called this morning when they opened and they said that they sold it on Saturday. I guess the early bird gets the worm.

sounds like you missed a good one love oliver an white easy to work on love the trans .plenty of power to the wheel !

M-5":2a4o38ex said:
John SD":2a4o38ex said:
M-5":2a4o38ex said:

I should not have been so cryptic I guess. These tractor clutches do fine for field work and normal use, Some people just can not operate them with out burning them up. we had a 155 it was my favorite tractor, I could use it all day every day picking pnuts and never had any issues but as soon as our hired hand got in it and used it you could expect to have to replace the clutch. Maybe it it was just him and the tractor didn't not mesh bUt I could almost brake it apart and put back together with my eyes closed.
Dad had a hired hand once he said could break a steel ball with a rubber hammer, especially if he wanted some time off.

Latest posts