Whiskey

Help Support CattleToday:

For those savoring a more 'distinctive' beer--from the same folks who gave us several well known cattle breeds (as well as something called haggis)
Rooster ale:
COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....

Procedure:
"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.
In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."
http://www.brewery.org/cm3/recs/13_23.html

My brother homebrews wine and beer all the time, and does a pretty good job with it. The best he ever brought me tho, was some homebrewed jalapeno beer. It definitely had a bite.

I'm scots/irish and have never heard of that particular one but on a similar note there's a traditional beer where you add the carcass of a rabbit to the fermenter. Never had any desire to try it but my understanding is it really brings out the taste of the hops. ;-)

Dam I'm getting thristy reading all this. I drank some STAG beer this weekend, my uncle always called it Steak Taters And Gravy, said it was all you needed to survive in a can. The way I felt Sunday morning I might have overindulged.

J&D Cattle":38e4ffif said:
Dam I'm getting thristy reading all this. I drank some STAG beer this weekend, my uncle always called it Steak Taters And Gravy, said it was all you needed to survive in a can. The way I felt Sunday morning I might have overindulged.
Probably the taters. :mrgreen:

Latest posts