Which would you choose?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
We have a small handful of steers we were going to sell but are thinking of keeping one back as a project for a 4Her. Just thought I would get some opinions on what you guys would keep. Terrible pics of these guys and will get better tomorrow.

This is a Simi cross steer. A little smaller framed but really chunky.

This is a Shorty/Simi steer. He is a lot bigger than he looks!

Don't have any new pics of this steer but will get more tomorrow. Out of a Char Composite cow and Simmi bull.

Have two more I want to get pictures of but never got a chance. None of these are "fancy" cattle but I don't think they are that bad. They were just weaned and are on a grower feed and really nice hay right now.

The first calf looks to have the pieces to make at least a county fair level competitive steer. He doesn't appear fine boned, maybe you see him as too moderate in frame? Pushing protein to a younger steer can help mitigate that to some extent. He looks fleshy, deep and balanced. Overall, of the three, I prefer this one's structure and ability to finish out nice.

The second calf is very middle of the road. Nothing terribly wrong with him, but nothing that makes me think he will be a competitive steer either. My biggest concerns with this one are the way he breaks in the top line behind his shoulder and he appears to lack natural muscle expression in his hip.

The third calf looks to be one that will gain enough if pushed, but is going to have some structural issues that will keep him from being functional. Even in the calf picture, you can see he is a bit posty on those hocks and has a super high tail head, is a touch over in the knees, and is tight/shallow in the fore rib. Depending on the level of competition and the knowledge of the exhibitor, he may not be the best choice. He won't stand much competition as a fat, and anyone who knows the tricks to keep him sound in the end is going to go with a better overall animal.

Look for a calf that is functional. Good lines, clean legs with adequate flex in the hock but not banana legged, fills their tracks, looks deep in both fore and rear flank, and has some natural width over their top and muscle expression from front to back. After that, docility, hair, front end extension, and color....none of these are necessary for a competitive steer, but adding each of these extras ups the level the steer can play ball at. Of course, if the exhibitor is younger or inexperienced, docility should be at the start of the entire list IMHO. :2cents:

Here is another pic of the bottom steer.

Boot Jack thanks for all the info! All of our Char/Simmi mutts have high tail heads? Is that normal for Char mutts?

The first steer is my favorite and I posted earlier that I was hoping to have him shown.

holm25":rbhpjaqu said:
Here is another pic of the bottom steer.

Boot Jack thanks for all the info! All of our Char/Simmi mutts have high tail heads? Is that normal for Char mutts?

The first steer is my favorite and I posted earlier that I was hoping to have him shown.

I don't think that high set on the tail head is exclusive to any particular breed, although the build on more old school/fullblood continentals seems to make it seem like they have it a ton. I have noticed certain bloodlines in various breeds will have it show up more often.

I stand by my assessment of the red steer. Those back wheels are not improving as he ages.

Latest posts