Which would be better

Help Support CattleToday:

dguess7

Reaction score
Would it be more profitable to raise regestered cattle or commercial cattle or a mixture of both? Can you also give your reason why either way.

Yes!
Now for the hard part. You need to look at how you will market your animals and your resources, that's what will dictate what you raise.

dun

dguess7":3ekz9xut said:
Would it be more profitable to raise regestered cattle or commercial cattle or a mixture of both? Can you also give your reason why either way.

Here in Ohio there is a big market for club calves. I have my bottom end registered cows bred to throw clubbys. Then I keep the "top end" registered. Why? I don't know :roll: :roll: :roll:

Depends onthe quality of your registered animals. If you have good quality then yes there is a market for registered catle, but they have to be good. If you just have average cows then commercial is your best bet. We have both and 90% of the time its the comercial cows that pay the bills.

:oops: Pardon my ignorance, but could someone give me a good definition of a club calf?

Many thanks!!

TR":2912r639 said:
:oops: Pardon my ignorance, but could someone give me a good definition of a club calf?

Many thanks!!
Club calves should be a calf that a 4H or FFA student is raising and fitting for exhibitin in the Livestock Shows. Normally would be steers.

A club calf is a term used to describe a bull or cow that produces "show steers and heifers". Typically they are thick big boned and stout but they also tend to be unsound. Not always but that is a big problem in the club calf market.

Actually, La is closer to being correct.

A club calf is indeed a calf that a member of a 4-H or FFA club would most likely show. Hence the name club calf.

And sometimes they do tend to be too straight shouldered or posty legged. But since it is more often than not a terminal cross those "unsound" calves never become cows.

Actually, La is closer to being correct.

A club calf is indeed a calf that a member of a 4-H or FFA club would most likely show. Hence the name club calf.

And sometimes they do tend to be too straight shouldered or posty legged. But since it is more often than not a terminal cross those "unsound" calves never become cows.

You are right I guess I was trying to answer the post:
Here in Ohio there is a big market for club calves. I have my bottom end registered cows bred to throw clubbys. Then I keep the "top end" registered. Why? I don't know

The club calf IS the calf being raised for show. However there are "club calf producing" type animals and thats what I was addressing. I sould have worded my post a little differently. Thanks for clearing it up.

If you want to join a breed association, show your animals and spend a lot of time marketing (through advertising, showing, breed sales, etc) then registered is the way to go. You'll spend a few years (depending on your initial investment) buying good quality stock, and getting good quality calves on the ground.. and it will take time to build your herd and especially your reputation.

If you want to raise terminal calves and sell them at the auction barn, they commercial would be a wiser choice.

Latest posts