Which way do your yards face?

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi

Reaction score
My current, uncovered race runs North-South (I'm in the southern hemisphere, so will turn all my directions around so as to work for Northern Hemisphere thinking), with some big trees shading the Southern end. My cows walk from bright sunlight into the shadow when they go up the race.
In the early morning or late afternoon, there are dark bar shadows caused by rails.

I have a design for new yards all laid out on my table, which will include a roof over part of the race and the crush, and need to go lay it out on the ground in the next couple of days. I'm trying to decide which way to lay it: facing South so the animals move with the sun in their eyes in under the new covered area, or North, so they walk into a covered area with the light coming from behind?

What do you think? How does your set-up work?

Thanks!

Presumably your barn has walls which would stop any sun shadowing too? It is the effect of the natural light direction that is of interest to me. Are indoor or outside yards most common there?

With few answers to this question, should I conclude you all have indoor yards? Or was this a stupid question beneath your notice? Any input would be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry I hadn't replied. There are many of both inside and outside here. I would say more outside. Many have none at all as evidenced by the number of bull calves vs steer calves at the sale barn.
Mine is an old tobacco barn that I have converted with the sweep and working facilities inside and the lots outside,

Putangitangi":2d89msrt said:
With few answers to this question, should I conclude you all have indoor yards? Or was this a stupid question beneath your notice? Any input would be very much appreciated.
My guess is that most people just never thought about it

Thanks, both of you, I hadn't thought of either possibility. I figured everyone here would have fabulous working facilities they could reference. I intend to be one of those people, shortly. It's not going to happen in time for calving, unfortunately, due to my procrastination and indecision. We do now have a design I'm quite pleased with, although it may benefit from a few more tweaks. Sun angle has been a bit of an issue sometimes in the current race and I thought it would be good to consider it carefully.

Latest posts