Which vacccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Getting ready to work cows, trying to find/figure out which vaccination I should give. We will be working everything, bred cows, replacements, and 2 bulls. Some of them have been vaccinated before but not many, they're all extremely healthy no health issues to speak of just want to do it right. I know I want blackleg protection was thinking of covenex 8. Any suggestions, when I start reading the labels it becomes a foreign language.
Thanks

First, a Clostridial vaccine. Covexin 8 protects against 8 species of organisms of the genus Clostridium. Among them is blackleg and tetanus.

Second, fetal protection. A fetal protection vaccine will protect your herd from IBR, BVD (Types 1 and 2), PI3, and BRSV viruses. Most fetal protection vaccines can be had with an L5 component. L5 is the 5 Leptospira organisms. You can also get it with vibrio and Mannheimia haemolytica components. I use Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5. That is a modified live virus preparation and should not be used on pregnant cows or calves nursing cows if the cows have not been previously exposed to a MLV preparation for the FP 5 viruses. Assuming yours have not, you could use Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5 which can be given to pregnant cows.

Those two vaccines are the foundation for a cow/calf operation. If you have pinkeye, anaplasmosis or other issues in your area, check with a local vet and employ vaccines to address those issues.

Fundamentally, my program employs two core vaccines, one for Clostridials and one to provide fetal protection as follows:

1. Covexin 8
2. Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 if your cattle have not been exposed to a MLV vaccine, you could substitute Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5.

PS: I would suggest a parasiticide. I prefer injectable. I do not use generics. Studies reveal they are not as effective.

PS2: from one Kentuckian to another, anaplasmosis is becoming a big scare. Guy right here just lost three cows, his bull had it too but is responding to Chlortetracycline.

I would consult with your local vet to find out if there is anything in your area, specifically, to be vaccinationg for in addition to what mnm mentioned. I use covexin 8 and Virashield 6 plus vl 5 hb annually on the cows. The heifers I keep I am giving mod live prior to one year of age. Calves get two rounds of cov. and Virashield.

Covexin 8 or Calvary 9 is almost mandatory. The rest of the vaccinations just let the buyers take care of. We practice BQA and sell in other places besides the sale barn so we have to give the other vaccinations as required. But there's no doubt in my mind that our cows were healthier when all we used was Covexin 8.

Probably gonna go with the covexin 8, and worm with the pour on I have left from the spring, I'll come back in the spring and use the injectable ivomec. Is there any special recommendation recommendations for replacement heifers other than the covexin 8 and working.
Thanks

I would definitely use something like Virashield 6 or CattleMaster. Lepto can be a big problems. I don't know how many head you have but I would check and see what your vet suggests and carries in stock incase you need to buy local.

Around here you get vets suggesting different vaccines, some suggest a killed vaccine while others suggest a modified live. We started on the Virashield and have stuck with it. Lepto is such a problem in our area the vets told us to vaccinate twice a year.

NOTE: Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5 does contain Modified Live Virus (MLV) for BRSV. That is a component that does not cause abortion. It is the IBR that is notorious for abortions if your cattle have not been previously exposed.

The Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5 does require rehydration of the freeze dried BRSV component. It also must be used soon after mixing.

If you don't want the hassle of mixing, there are many other FP/Leptospira vaccines such as the Virashield. You can get Virashield in a killed vaccine as a 6 way, 7 way or 8 way. I have used it in the rare cases where I needed to vaccinate a cow that had not been exposed to MLV.

Also, if you only want to cover the Lepto, you can target those with Spirovac or Leptoferm.

tom4018":155kwxts said:
I would definitely use something like Virashield 6 or CattleMaster. Lepto can be a big problems. I don't know how many head you have but I would check and see what your vet suggests and carries in stock incase you need to buy local.

Around here you get vets suggesting different vaccines, some suggest a killed vaccine while others suggest a modified live. We started on the Virashield and have stuck with it. Lepto is such a problem in our area the vets told us to vaccinate twice a year.

I have heard the same thing. The FP viruses cause early abortions, the Leptospira viruses cause later abortions. If you want to hit them a second time, use the FP 5 L5 on first vaccination, then hit them with Spirovac or Leptoferm as a mid-point vaccination. Spirovac VL5 and Leptoferm 5 are very cheap. Leptoferm is stocked here in KY at Southern States.

Ky cowboy":h0t6c5cn said:
Probably gonna go with the covexin 8, and worm with the pour on I have left from the spring, I'll come back in the spring and use the injectable ivomec. Is there any special recommendation recommendations for replacement heifers other than the covexin 8 and working.
Thanks

I treat them with the same vaccines I do the cows. I don't have a bull, but he should also be treated with the same vaccines. Even though a bull obviously is not at risk of aborting a calf, they can carry the FP and Leptospira viruses.

Margonme":z50oo01i said:
tom4018":z50oo01i said:

Leptoferm is stocked here in KY at Southern States.

The one in our small town may keep blackleg of some type but even that is doubtful.. I have gotten them to order everything in the past or me but they seem like it is a lot of trouble so I go elsewhere. Not like I am not a good customer as I spend a lot there every year, they seem to cater to big crop farmers and gardeners any more. Our local feed mill keeps a few vaccines but not much.

tom4018":hsvfkq6u said:
Margonme":hsvfkq6u said:
tom4018":hsvfkq6u said:

Leptoferm is stocked here in KY at Southern States.

The one in our small town may keep blackleg of some type but even that is doubtful.. I have gotten them to order everything in the past or me but they seem like it is a lot of trouble so I go elsewhere. Not like I am not a good customer as I spend a lot there every year, they seem to cater to big crop farmers and gardeners any more. Our local feed mill keeps a few vaccines but not much.

Wow. Opposite here. The Maysville Southern States has by far the best stock of vaccines in our area. All the zoetis products.

I vaccinate with Triangle 9+HS killed virus (Ft. Dodge) . Requires a booster in 14 days then once a year on cattle that have been vaccinated the previous year.

TexasBred":rtbs5wh3 said:
I vaccinate with Triangle 9+HS killed virus (Ft. Dodge) . Requires a booster in 14 days then once a year on cattle that have been vaccinated the previous year.

Have you seen a benefit from HS ?
Best to booster at 14 or 21 days?

Really don't know Steve. Just being careful I guess. Always gave it to dairy cattle too. Same for the booster but have never had a case of any of these things that I'm aware of. I've used the Triangle 9 for years but a friend retired from Ft. Dodge recommended the Triangle 9 with the HS. Seems most on her prefer live or ML virus but I've always felt more comfortable with the killed virus.

Margonme":9romuvyh said:
First, a Clostridial vaccine. Covexin 8 protects against 8 species of organisms of the genus Clostridium. Among them is blackleg and tetanus.

Second, fetal protection. A fetal protection vaccine will protect your herd from IBR, BVD (Types 1 and 2), PI3, and BRSV viruses. Most fetal protection vaccines can be had with an L5 component. L5 is the 5 Leptospira organisms. You can also get it with vibrio and Mannheimia haemolytica components. I use Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5. That is a modified live virus preparation and should not be used on pregnant cows or calves nursing cows if the cows have not been previously exposed to a MLV preparation for the FP 5 viruses. Assuming yours have not, you could use Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5 which can be given to pregnant cows.

Those two vaccines are the foundation for a cow/calf operation. If you have pinkeye, anaplasmosis or other issues in your area, check with a local vet and employ vaccines to address those issues.

Fundamentally, my program employs two core vaccines, one for Clostridials and one to provide fetal protection as follows:

1. Covexin 8
2. Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 if your cattle have not been exposed to a MLV vaccine, you could substitute Cattlemaster Gold FP 5 L5.

PS: I would suggest a parasiticide. I prefer injectable. I do not use generics. Studies reveal they are not as effective.

PS2: from one Kentuckian to another, anaplasmosis is becoming a big scare. Guy right here just lost three cows, his bull had it too but is responding to Chlortetracycline.

Is anaplamosis mainly a concern when your introducing outside cattle, like stockers or sale barn cattle

Ky cowboy":113rhwqs said:
Margonme":113rhwqs said:

1. Covexin 8

Is anaplamosis mainly a concern when your introducing outside cattle, like stockers or sale barn cattle

Movement of cattle during the peak of the cattle boom has been cited as contributing to the spread of anaplasmosis but the main concern is local transmission by ticks and contaminated needles. Surgical instruments are also a source of transmission.

Studies suggest that ticks of the genus Dermacentor are the most common vector of anaplasmosis in the United States. There is also concerns about transmission by horse flies. It is important to change needles out between animals. Using a needle that was used on an infected cow can spread the infection to the next cow if reused.

Our local vet, Dr Darin Stanfield, told me recently that the two problems he has been most concerned about in the last couple years is pinkeye and anaplasmosis.

If I order some stuff from Jeffers is it necessary to buy the extra ice pack and cooler in these cooler temps. They say they ship in an insulated envelope and with one ice pack.

Ky cowboy":32k9tqmi said:
If I order some stuff from Jeffers is it necessary to buy the extra ice pack and cooler in these cooler temps. They say they ship in an insulated envelope and with one ice pack.

I order form Jeffers about twice a year. I do!!!

Biologicals (like vaccines) are shipped Monday through Thursday in a padded envelope with ice packs. Only vaccines shipped Next Day Air will ship on Thursday. We strongly recommend, (if you are not in a one day ship zone) Next Day Air and an insulated container. We ship (vaccines ONLY) Next Day Air for $19.95 and Second Day Air for $14.95. If you are in a two day zone, you still have the Next Day option.

When ordering vaccines and biologicals, you will have three choices of shipping method (Step 2 of checkout): Next Day, Second Day, or Standard Ground. Next Day Air is the default method selected.

All manufacturers of vaccines strongly recommend at least Second Day Air shipping and in the spring/summer months, we encourage Next Day Air to protect your investment.

Margonme":ufyifydd said:
Ky cowboy":ufyifydd said:

I order form Jeffers about twice a year. I do!!!

Biologicals (like vaccines) are shipped Monday through Thursday in a padded envelope with ice packs. Only vaccines shipped Next Day Air will ship on Thursday. We strongly recommend, (if you are not in a one day ship zone) Next Day Air and an insulated container. We ship (vaccines ONLY) Next Day Air for $19.95 and Second Day Air for $14.95. If you are in a two day zone, you still have the Next Day option.

When ordering vaccines and biologicals, you will have three choices of shipping method (Step 2 of checkout): Next Day, Second Day, or Standard Ground. Next Day Air is the default method selected.

All manufacturers of vaccines strongly recommend at least Second Day Air shipping and in the spring/summer months, we encourage Next Day Air to protect your investment.

We use Valley Vet and do next day air. They usually put 2 packs in their boxes. Try not to order during real hot weather to be safer. Only once has it ever felt warmer than I thought it should but was still within a safe temperature.

Latest posts